Dead Tank Resources

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Wertbarg, May 7, 2009.

1. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

Destroyed vehicle chassis will become deconable scraps, that once deconed, turn into resources equal to that of the base value of the vehicle chassis (the cost of a bare, engine-less, armorless, weaponless chassis). The team that which the vehicle belonged to would not have this option for two main reasons: this is mainly to help the stuggling side to make a comeback, and I can see people getting really annoyed when someone almost claims it, then it gets stolen by the enemy team. Also, the dead vehicle should stay on the field for at least one additional minute compared to its current time, but should still disappear for gameplay issues if there are no engineers. In no way does this really impact the learning curve of Empires and I see no major issues. CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is accepted.

2. jragbir

jragbir Member

I like the idea of salvaging stuff. Maybe it would prevent noobs from building walls all the time -_-

3. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

Also, depending on the chassis, it should take different amounts of repair points to salvage. The following is an outline (highly subject to change) that I just thought of:
    Chassis Repair Points
    Jeep 50

LT/APC/AFV 100

Medium/arty 150

Heavy 200

Do note that repair points do not mean how many resources you get back. Recourse recovery levels are explained in the first post.

4. Brink

Brink Member

A few possible problems that may come up with this that would be involved with the increased staying time of the destroyed vehicle. One, from the vehicle corpse creating a longer lasting roadblock on a small road or pathway. Two, if the destroyed vehicle happens to pin an unsuspecting driver they would be a easy target for much longer. I do like the idea of vehicle reclamation and the increased time to do it in but the collision issue would be a good thing to look into.

Also is the reclamation instant or would it be like building something and how fast would it be, and this seems to be for engineers only. You did touch on these but just for clarification purposes you may want to add those in.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  5. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

Fortunately, due to the destroyed vehicle becoming a high profile target, it is unlikely to stay there for very long, so if another driver does get trapped, they will promptly be put out of their misery while one team scrambles to get some bonus resources for their minor victory.
    On the situation of it becoming a roadblock, infantry can usually slip past anything, and I think that destroyed vehicles can still be rammed out of the way (not easily, but probably enough to make an opening) and if that is not the case, then it would be easy to change.

EDIT: The salvaging would not be instant, it would be at the same speed at which you build (faster with repair upgrade, which you can dish out 200 repair points on a full battery)

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  6. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Make it happen continuously so that you get something like 1 res per second of salvaging until you deplete the wreck. That way you avoid the frustration of getting something to 99.9999% completion and then getting killed, losing all your progress.

You could also have the res value 'decay' so a wreck would lose something like 10 res every 10 sec if not being salvaged. It would disappear once it hit 0.

7. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

I like your support of the idea, but I think that would add unnecessary complexity to the design. Also, the coding might be a little funky for the whole decay idea, I understand they did a similar consept with the sabbing, but it is the "destruction" of the chassis that gives the resources, and making the game distinguish between a decay death and being salvaged is of unknown difficulty to me. Remember, we don't want to add too many twists :)

8. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

Making the dead tanks act as roadblocks might actually be a good thing, it would require tank pushes to be accompanied by engineers to clear such roadblocks and would make the tanks easier targets for infantry if they are stuck there necessitating some anti-infantry riflemen or APCs to protect the tanks and engineers.
    Wrecks should all have health and that health can be dependant of the chassis and armour that the tank had. Give the wrecks a damage resist similar to walls to encourage them to be deconstructed rather than blown up and make them take some damage over time.

9. zenarion

zenarion Member

Oh yeah, this would be nice.
    You tank rush the enemy base, and they fend you off, killing the attackers.
    They then proceed to recover your broken tanks, and get cash for it.
    This would encourage players to keep their tanks alive, to not go for suicide runs, etc.

10. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

This or something like it (upkeep system anyone?) has been needed for a while. There are almost no ways for a losing team to make a comeback. The only times I've seen a losing team make a comeback are:

1. Ninja
    2. A bunch of vets join midgame and skill stack the losing side

Otherwise, if your losing in the first 10 minutes your probably gonna lose.

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

killing 2 heavies in your base could give the losing team the resources it needs to get back imo (along with teamwork and rockhard determination)

i prefer scardybobs views on it since if you are reclaiming it and it dissapears halfway like it normally does then i would get sad and angry at the game

12. Morcam

Morcam Member

I approve of this idea, with scardybob's modifications.

13. Lumi

Lumi Member

I give full support for this but I only have 1 issue:

If you are driving a tank in stalemate, you would care less for getting killed because your team would get a partial refund. This results in a loss of tanks on the frontlines.

14. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Make it so you can't salvage your own tanks. Problem solved.

15. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Interesting idea, this would give hope to those loosing teams that have no refs left but are able to defend their barracks.

16. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

You would still care, because that would be considered griefing.
    Also, make it so that you can only do that when your tank has been destroyed by an enemy missile.

17. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

There are more efficient ways of griefing (CV suicide, general crap vehicle spam, jeep ramming own vehicles, etc). If this were a big source of griefing, we would have seen it happen in 2.23 and earlier because theres nothing stopping you from suiciding vehicles.

18. Alceister

Alceister Member

I think that at best, this should be a server-side option and not universal.

19. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

As stated in the first post, you cannot salvage your own vehicles. Also, the destroyed vehicles will not have HP (or be invulnerable to anything but the calculator). otherwise these resources would be too easily denied.

20. Alceister

Alceister Member

Again, server-side. Some people will like this idea but others won't.