Dead Space

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Slice, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Slice

Slice Member

2. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

W/e. Some gay EA game, ripping off Doom 3. I saw an interview about it, they said they used Gothic Architecture in the ship, because it looked real and "you can see how gravity holds it all together". Erm, is it not a SPACE ship? Why are there babies on board anyway?

That lullaby isn't even correct, right? I mean, you can't just make a fake lullaby and make it "omgad thats soo creepeh".

I did like the sign that said "SCIENCE?".

3. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

How is it a Doom 3 rip? In Doom 3, you shoot the shit out of things and they die. In Dead Space, you have to rip the enemies limb from limb because if their bodies will allow them to move, they don't give a shit about the pain, they will drag themselves to you and thrash your ass. And they have the tendency to play dead. Strategic dismemberment ftw!

4. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

If thats how it is, sure thats different. I never heard that before.

But its in a derelict space ship, versus a derelict mars base. Lots of hellish creatures everywhere. Its soper-scawy. There are monster-babies. I mean w/e. I don't trust EA, should I be killed?

5. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

It's an awesome game. It nails horror perfectly, and the gameplay backs it up. There are no real weapons in the game, everything is some sort of piece of equipment you find on the ship, which is a Planet Breaker class ship. It travels from planet to planet strip mining them. Most of your 'weapons' are really mining tools with the nasty habit to dismember. The only way to kill something is to tear it to literal pieces. Take the head off? The rest of it goes berserk and charges you. Take the arms off? It will come over and try to bite you to death. Take the legs off? Who the fuck needs legs? It'll claw its way over and still try to butt rape you. And even then, after ensuring none of those happen, they sometimes get back up and give you surprise butt secks.

The low-gravity sections are pretty awesome. You use the magnets in your boots to attach to metal surfaces when you get near them, so you essentially get to pick what the floor is, and change as needed..

The immersion is pretty damn good too. You have ZERO HUD. Your health is displayed as a glowing column on the back of your suit (not in a lame way, just look at the green verticle bar on the dudes suit).

I haven't played it myself, but the only negative that I have heard that wasn't biased was lack of multiplayer. It has solid reviews across the board. If I wasn't a little wuss that can't do horror games, I would spend months on this myself.

6. manhunt0r

manhunt0r Member

its good, hell of a lot better than dumb 3. finished it in a single run, was pretty funnay but the ending was kinda meh

7. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Oh motherfucker you just stole five minutes of my life AND I WANT THEM BACK

8. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Only 5 minutes? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU!? SPEND HOURS ON IT BIATCH!

9. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

Exactly what I thought when I got through his post.

10. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Now give me a computer to run that baby

11. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Just got this game, went to the gameshop to get my copy of fallout3 and the new galactiv civ II endless universe, saw it on the shelf and couldn't resist.

It's gruesome, worth a try :)

12. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

I don't get the whole 'no HUD' thing. You do have a HUD, he projects it in the air for you, and wears his healthbar on his back. I get that it's a more immersive HUD, but it is a HUD. WTF is this 'no HUD' shit?

13. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

A HUD is a Heads Up Display. He technically doesn't have one.

14. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

in FPS terms "no HUD" means that you can not see your ammo/health either at all or you need to go into some sort of menu to get the info.

just because the character lacks a helmet/eye-modification which projects the info into his field of view does not mean that the game lack a HUD.

15. Slice

Slice Member

Okay how about this, it has a HUD but, not what you would call a "normal" HUD. ;)

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

What is a normal HUD?

17. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

See; empires.

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i meant that in a "define normality" kind of way :p my apologies if i was too vague

19. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

Oh god WHO CARES?

20. Slice

Slice Member

Well what would you call a normal HUD?