Dark map ideas

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Silk, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Silk

Silk Mapper

Ah screw these windows.
    I'll have someone else try to fix them.

2. Silk

Silk Mapper

Latest screenshots: http://users.telenet.be/samhannes/mapping/emp_pickaname/latest/latest/

I've done 14 buildings out of 29 (brushwork)

After that comes:
    - Adding a 3rd way into the city
    - Making the two outer edge bridges (only placeholders now)
    - Making the city walls look awesome
    - Adding damage to the buildings
    - Adding props (entire map)
    - Adding light sources (together with props)
    - Adding a 3d skybox

Releasedate: never?

3. Empty

Empty Member

I'd have to suggest.
    Rather tahn make them whore brushes on the outside, give a few some form of interior.

4. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

This map is going to give you so much lag and kill everyone's computer.

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i would suggest using a bit more skybox light and adding a fog effect to simulate darkness, this will make it so that it still is dark, but even without flashlight you can see the basic layout of a room and such so that people will not be to annoyed by the darkness

also make props dissolve at very close ranges

6. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

you mean cheap fog? the fog that is use to hide outfading of the map?
    well it works but it gives a very desolate feeling

7. Empty

Empty Member

Pitch black fog can work sometimes.

Hilarity ensues with fullbright + massive thick black fog.

8. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

that would be perfect for silk's map, i got that feeling with i was testing it with him earlier

9. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

*bump*

I just encountered emp_pickaname on a server... it needs a LOT of work. You can't build buildings in most places. It seemed like the BE base and the city were the only 2 places that you could build, except for one spot where NF placed a barracks on the roof of a tunnel entrance. The minimap needs an improvement to show where all the resource nodes are.

10. Silk

Silk Mapper

Yeah i'm trying to figure out why the compiler thinks the displacements aren't solid in the bottom half of the map. Entities like ent_fire just fall through the ground, and engineers can't place stuff cause the engine/map/whatever thinks that the ground isn't actually solid or something. Yet players and vehicles walk over them.

The ground in the north part of the map doesn't have this problem. Haven't quite figured out what causes it. Gonna try to compile it what the vbsp command that explicitly tells the compiler that displacements should be solid.

And it's just an alpha version, it doesn't even have stuff to prevent exploiting etc. Most of the light is there but nearly none of the light sources. The outside is still completely empty.

Just needed to see if it worked on a server and if people were lagging.

Unfortunately, i crashed twice during the test. But so far i haven't seen anyone else have the problem i had.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  11. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

That is not apocalyptic, it is abandoned.

The buildings look like thye have been build recently. You should make destroyed buildings, with debris and rubble all over the place. Tank traps, barbed wire. Holes in the ground, something like Gears of War. But very dark and scary.

The map is not dark enough, to much light. It should have destroyed cars, and ofcourse some secret laboratories under the ground. The buildings should have been collapsed, cover with rubble and soil. Impassable roads. Trees wich fell down. Sound, like howling creatures and wolfs.

I would sugest adding some important buildings too:

Library
    Cathedral
    Townhall
    Factory
    Stadium
    Oil Refinery
    Appartement Buildings
    Semi-Detached Houses

I would sugest using some different architecture as well,

Neo-Classic
    Italianate
    New Renaissance
    Gothic-Revival
    Victorian
    Art-Deco

This way you create impressive, interesting and new maps.

I even sugest making a new map, deleting all progress you have accomplished till now.

I sugest making an infantry only map, dark, ect. And ofcourse, massive!

12. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

In b4 omneh flame again.

Actually, no. Right.

1) Wtf are you smoking, "using different architecture" and you go on to list 6 different types of design, none of which are related, to be used in a game that is set in an alternate universe.

2) If these buildings should be destroyed, then why on earth would you spend time making a mixture of completely unrelated buildings?

3) Maps are not big enough for you to make terraced housing estates, apartments, football statiums etc. You really need to actually learn to map.

4) I'm pretty sure you just listed those types of building just to look smart, and you sir, just failed.

5) Why would you want a massive infantry only map? Thats destined to fail badly.

6) Did you just tell Silk to ditch his map and start over because he can't make impressive, interesting and new maps?

7) Apocalypse might've happened a year ago, he never mentioned it had been like that for 100s of years like fallout 3.

8) Don't ever use GoW as an example. Ever. You're trying to combine Fallout and Gears of war, and that will not work.

13. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

Yes, they are related. I am not talking about those types of designs, i'm talking about the architecture in general. The buildings need more depth then just simple block brushes with textures. Both factions have got state of the art weaponry. I sugest they most have some cities wich look absolutly beautyfull.

Look at a real city, we can continue to say the same thing over and over again about "fuck realism" but the cities in empires make seriously no sence at all. People need food, shopping, homes, work, factories, entertainment, religion. So yes, these buildings are all related to the daily life in the Empires universe.

Yes they are.

So if I say 2+2 = 4, you sugest that I say that because I think I am smart? I am just sugesting things. Or should I shut my mouth?

No its not fail, if it is fail then that is the fault of the creator of the map.

No, I am sugesting he makes a new map, and uses all his previous skills to make a super über massive map. He has proven he can make those things, now let him combine everytihng he has learned and created in 1 map. Is something wrong with that?

Even though it happend a year ago, people wont suddenly leave their city. Sometihng most have caused them to leave.

This map is not even near fallout. He tries to combine heaven with total doom. That city just looks like it has never been touched by wars, famine, decease or dissasters. It just seems to "perfect" for a post-apocalyptic city.

14. Trickster

Right, here we go again then.

1) Hammer gridsize is fucking tiny, just because a map feels big (like smokies for example) doesn't mean its bigger than any other map, what you're talking about is making things disproportionate. And that means having a shop the size of a person and a football stadium the size of a heavy tank.

2) Yes, you really should just shut your mouth.

3) A gigantic infantry map taking up the whole hammer grid would fail.

4) Silk has a catalogue of fantastic maps, you make it sound like hes a newbie mapper and you're some sort of experienced mapper. Have you ever seen Silk's work?

5) I can think of a reason theres no-one in the city. They're dead.

15. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

You can adjust grid size...

I won't shut my mouth, live with it.

A massive infantry map wouldn't fail, you jsut don't like it. I can name a qaudzillion way to make a cool infantry map.

I was saying, if you learn to read someones post. That he use all his skills and tihngs he learned from his fantastic other maps in 1 map. How is that something wrong to say?

Then what caused them to die?

Famine?
    Decease?
    Nuclear Explossion?
    Dissater?
    Meteor?
    Genocide?
    Massacre?
    Alliens?
    Supernatural Beings?
    Neutron Bomb?

Atleast add some tihngs that make sence.

16. Omneh

Omneh Member

Satanchild, your above posts prove you are imcomprehensibly and utterly retarded. Congratulations!

Now, to explore your ridiculous views in detail.

And there we have it, a reasonably detailed deconstruction of one of Satanchild's many failures.

What makes me really, really laugh is that Satanchild acts as if Silk, a highly experienced mapper and releaser of many, many quality maps, is a an utter noob, and Satanchild, the idiot who has no idea how to make displacements or entities, is some kind of master god mapper.

Fucking hilarious.

Oh and Trickster, congrats on the well thought out and biting flame.

Welll... it seems that in the time taken to post this, Satanchild has made another post. Lets examine this, shall we?

Well lets see... firstly, learn to spell, its worse than my spelling in nursery, not to mention that of a whatever how old you are Satanchild. And from the content of your posts, not very old, I would assume.

YOU CANNOT ADJUST GRID SIZE.

A massive infantry map would fail, for reasons stated earlier.

So you are basically saying, his current work is crap because it doesn't fit with your narrowminded conception of what a good map is, and he should abandon it completely in favour of a shitty idea that will never, ever work? NO.

First things first, several of those apocalypse's you have listed would leave the city in reasonable condition, especially Disease and the HYPOTHETICAL Neutron Bomb. Oh and Aliens (which have no place in the Empires universe) and supernatural beings (again, no place in the Empires universe) if you assume abductions. Genocide and Massacre as well. And again, LEARN TO SPELL.

Anyway, please shut your trap Satanchild, and stop trolling this forum.

17. Trickster

Right.

By gridsize I meant the maximum size of a map hammer will handle, not the gridsize being 1 to 512.

A massive infantry map would fail because it would take 10 years to get anywhere.

Its wrong because you're acting like hes never mapped before, hes made emp_bush, emp_arid, emp_frost (granted not one of his better pieces, well mapped but bad gameplay) and emp_vehicletraining. Hes one of the best emp mappers there is.

It doesn't matter, a map is a map, backstory is unimportant in comparison with gameplay.

18. Silk

Silk Mapper

Frankly this topic is outdated. By working on the map i slowly turned to a different direction. Some stuff that sounded cool was just stupid ingame, or looked terrible, or cut fps in half. Making it an old abandoned 'apocalypse' city gave some problems like performance (fires, smoke, details, too much holes made it difficult to block visibility, ...).

The city buildings themselves will remain as they are now. There will be props added, light sources, bill boards, cover, foliage, ...

The outside currently only has hills and light. Stuff will be added like wrecks (for example where the fires are), limited foliage, buildings and lightsources.

The map is less dark than i intended because nearly no one really likes to play in a dark map. It's typically "yes it's cool, looks nice, it's something fresh" followed by "nah let's not go to the dark map cause it's annoying getting killed by people you can't see". It still has a rather unique feeling, it still is dark (as in no light from sun/moon), but most areas are at least partially lit by other lightsources. This was also a reason why i couldn't make it an apocalypse map, cause fires alone wouldn't be able to light up everything enough.

I don't know if i took screenshots of the current version. If someone needs screens feel free to ask or take them yourselves..

Edit: ahaha this is insane. you guys made 4 posts in the time i was typing this

19. Trickster

I didn't even read the rest of this topic, I just felt like pointing out retardation.

20. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Actually, you can adjust the grid size in Hammer, but the engine won't allow it to work (not as far as i know, at least). Go ahead, make a giant map that's far beyond the normal grid size, you'll never be able to use it.