CV under attack- ?????????

Discussion in 'Support' started by Melee, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Empty

Empty Member

It's only like, the bane of our commander's existance!
    I think we should get a seperate text-event when it's attacked, because you can't spam text if it just overlaps in the middle of your screen, so there's no point making failsafes to prevent 'your CV is under attack' every time some guy with a scout rifle takes a potshot.
    Sound good?

2. Vader6

Vader6 Member

I find it somewhat silly that the warning that your vulnerable commander vehicle is under attack is practically mumbled from a player's perspective. A good fix would be perhaps an actual light flashing on the command interface for the commander?

3. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

actually if I had a mini vehicle display screen of the comm vehicle, you know like when your driving a vehicle and you can see the armor plates and stuff, that would be bloody perfect for noticeing your under attack and stuff.

4. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Huge fucking blaring siren when CV gets shot. Fixed.

5. bart

bart Member

yes, loud siren and a huge green-red blinking "CV IS UNDER ATTACK!!11" icon over the whole screen. then even the newbs and noobs would see whats going on.

no, seriously, it happens too often that people dont hear the warning, because of dumbness or because there are too many background sounds.
    the warning should really be more noticeable.

6. Empty

Empty Member

It shouldn't be a warning which can be misheard and ignored, but a distinctive short klaxon. So it's completely different to normal chatter [blahblah attack, blah blah attack, losing the blah blah]

7. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

I think that when too many sounds are played some of warningsa aren't played
    + make some more noticeable warning for losing barrcks

8. recon

recon SM Support Dev

I like the klaxon idea. So much of the time the commander attack messages don't seem to even play, so that's something else that has to be dealt with.

9. Empty

Empty Member

I'll experiment with it today.
    EDIT: Ok, I've made a really irritating klaxon, but I can't make it override, we'll see if it's more effective soon enough *hops on empires*

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  10. StevenT

StevenT Member

use different sound channels?

in my high school final project, i wrote my game in Macromedia Director (Lingo). And I used all 8 soundchannels so they wouldnt interrupt each other.

Maybe a similar solution for the language Empires is written in?

11. Empty

Empty Member

Well I tried the annoying klaxon, it's annoying.

It missed the commander under attack a few times, but it definitely stood out more than a soft voice whispering.

It seems taunts have the highest priority, I was getting about 3 or four simultanoues warnings [enemy were using HE lol] and they all got cut off when i taunted. Weird.

12. Caelo

Caelo Member

*sigh* :P
    but seriously.. that's another thing you guys can add to the 2.2 todo list :P

13. bart

bart Member

yes, i would be pleased to see this in 2.2 :)

14. StevenT

StevenT Member

i dont think its about sound priority. (? never heard about it)

Sounds go through a channel, and if you have 2 (or more) sounds playing in the same channel, then the first one will get cut off (interrupted) by the 2nd sound.
    And if you have another sound that wants to play, it will cut off the 2nd sound.

If you use different sound channels, then they can be played simultaneously, without cutting each other off.

Now empires has a lot of sounds (like 50+? or maybe 100+?) and there just isnt enough soundchannels for each different sound. But i am sure, you can fix this with a simple script.
    Make the script check on the currently playing sound, if it is still playing, then have the following sound using the next following sound channel (current sound channel +1). If all sound channels are used (programmes should know how many sound channels he can use in his language), then make it use channel 1 again... And keep looping.

15. Caelo

Caelo Member

sound priority means that if all sound channels are used the sound with the higher priority will play on a channel (overwriting a sound with the lowest priority)..

so sound channel - sound priorities:

1- 10
    2- 20
    3- 15
    4- 5

and a sound starts playing with priority 17:
    1- 10
    2- 20
    3- 15
    4- 17

overwriting the sound playing on channel 4

at least that's one way of doing it and not a very bad way either :P

16. StevenT

StevenT Member

but a sound from channel 1 cannot interrupt another sound in another channel, they just play at the same time and the one thats louder will be heard better than the other.

they only interrupt each other when they are in the same channel

like mono = 1 channel
    stereo = 2 channels (ever heard mp3s where they play with left and right and have them playing same time and in all kind of variations?)
    7.1 = 7 channels

im still not sure about all the priority thing >.<

17. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

in team fortress 2, if you taunt and at the same time the scary lady says "5 minutes remaining", then the taunt is muted so you can hear the important info. so this would be possible.

18. Caelo

Caelo Member

well sure but that's not the point..
    if you add sound priorities you can do all sort of things like, muting all sounds with priority less than 5 out of 10, because a sound with priority 10 wants to play...
    or just cut them off..
    delay the sounds..

my ex. was just a way of doing it and reducing the max of sound messages..

19. gezor

gezor Member

2.2 still has this bug ...

that would be good for empires.

yes, some kind of flashy text warning would be usefull.

20. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

I think there should be some sort of onscreen warning incase of CV attacks.