Custom Maps - Old & Future

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by bitchslap, Apr 30, 2013.

?

What image should go in maplist thumbnail?

Poll closed Jun 14, 2013.
  1. Minimap - like stock emp maps

16.7%
  2. Very recognizable screenie - showing theme of map

83.3%
  3. Other - i will post!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

So thumbnails in map list, this is very easy to do/add

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/TF2/Adding_a_Maplist_Thumbnail

It is in the mapping resource guide from omega2

Please add this step for all future releases.

Also I plan to go through all older custom maps and add these, will pack up a zip file of them and post when done. (includes new RES files)

To install you will need to wipe out/overwrite the res files u previously had

---------------
    WHEN POSTED
    ----------------
    Server owners, please overwrite your res files as well so players will get the thumby on download.

Kane or someone with access to the FASTDL, please update your link with new res files as well.

Also please vote on the poll so I can start making these!

Thank you

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I liked the old screenshots from within the map, you'll have plenty of time to stare at the minimap once you've loaded up.

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

this is awesome. too bad ill never see it, the old server list is better (though it doesnt really matter for emp)

4. complete_

complete_ lamer

eastborough already has one

5. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

new players to steam and emp will appreciate the finishing touches on custom maps, i have found most custom maps for other games dont have a thumbnail. Not that i use this clunky map list but i might if they all had thumbs, a picture is better when u dont remember every custom map name by heart.

6. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I thought you were talking about loading screens for some reason - those are really cool - but the quirky map list could use some touching up indeed, even if a vast minority of players uses it. It does indeed add polish, which maybe lacking in other areas. *cough* fission *cough cough*

7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Silk was actually talking about doing this as well. It's a good thing to have for a lot of people, so thanks.

But one thing I'm not 100% decided on: Do we want minimap pics or an actual pic from within the map? I mean is it really that important to see the minimap from the server list?

8. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

i think the minimap does nothing for avid players, and really how does it help a noob except for the 2-4 weeks he starts recognizing minimaps that are vaguely familiar to him....it seems like the poll is accurately reflecting...

EDIT: Now IF the loading map screens work, which I had assumed they were broken, then I should do the minimap in the file list and let the loading screen confirm to them that it's the map they thought it was.....can someone explain quick n dirty how to make those work? it is probly real simple...just tired n busy ....

In retrospect I did love seeing those loading screens for canyon, cyclopean and such back in the day and then one version they stopped working and now it's always the hallway guys under fire....or some 'hint'

solution?

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  9. Trickster

I don't think those loading screens are coming back, certainly not for the time being. Imo, take good ingame screenshots (not minimap) for the thumbnails.

10. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

there's a voting thingy....at the top...there.....ya....unless u need me and others to see that u approve of this msg.....

11. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

I'm too lazy to do it for my custom maps, I only ever make the thumbnail for of official ones.

As a side note trickster I do plan on fixing those load screens at some point but it won't be till well into summer, no time at the moment

12. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

customs are were it counts mang! It entices people to wait for the shitty longass download to complete!

I will be adding them regardless of version release, etc and hope the server ops will add them for fastDL.

Even if it is not a final version the map thumbnail does not need to be altered like ever...

13. Trickster

It's a code thing as far as I know though, so I'm not sure how much you can do.

14. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

the code part was disabled due to the fact the slideshow vtf was out of date, from what I remember it went something like it was easier to disable it for the moment than to update all the screens, specially having lost the source files for it. And now many years later it is still not updated or re-enabled.

15. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

i recall this being what was stated, hopefully it can simply be re-enabled. :)

16. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

first post is not clear (in the off chance someone makes a new server)

just do what do can, and give Nana a kiss, whenever you can, love ya,

_

*editor - gross

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  17. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

From my list of stuff that is WIP:

18. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Just make sure to allow custom maps to have their own loading screens, instead of the current "only those two maps in the scripts folder".

19. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

mini games 2 pls