Custom maps - Cool

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by GI-Jane, Jan 18, 2007.

1. GI-Jane

GI-Jane Member

Have had a chance to play some of the custom maps and Cyclopean is awsome , the city is cool and should be good for mega battles.
    [​IMG]
    railroad was a bit small but i like the player model changes,
    [​IMG]

Shame someone cant host the custom maps on there server even if they have bugs they are a nice change, Hint Bsid you got 4 servers up, mebbe 1 for customs?

2. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

bad images

3. GI-Jane

GI-Jane Member

eh?

as in bad how?

4. supaste

supaste Member

you can change the player camo easy peesy!... you could do it in all maps if you could be bothered to recompile.

5. Caelo

Caelo Member

That would be so cool :D I think the server would be packed with players!

The fun I have playing this game is wearing a bit off. A temporary break from the official maps would be a nice change. (for me it will be at least)

6. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

the images wouldnt load, do now

7. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I would love railroad to make it into the next release, not to mention the others.

the smallness of railroad means that everyone will be building walls and turrets and it will get madly frantic! :D

8. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Railroad looks like its ninja heaven

9. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

the FB/BSID/Emp-testing of railroad was lame.

Take out the VF and your team is gg.

10. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

hmm... it should definately be rebuildable. it could be like one of those map things that go translucent...

11. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I don't think that's possible, but it would be interesting to see how it reacts with a point_template (should achieve the same effect).

12. Caelo

Caelo Member

cant you do a onkill-place-another-one trick?

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Yes, that's what a template does. I believe it uses the original entity as a template, and creates copies of it upon request. This is how you get a never-ending stream of enemies in single-player levels. The problem is, I've no idea how flexible it is in terms of using it with other entities.

14. Caelo

Caelo Member

just try and see what it does as a result.. I cant believe they (valve) didnt see these kinds of problems (situations) coming

15. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

I've used point_template with prop_physics before... no reason why it wouldn't work IMO.

16. eth0

eth0 Member

In fact that's what one of the BSID servers is gonna be, the "private #3".

One thing i used to do when i ran a dystopia server was have a "Guest Map of the Week" where a 3rd party mapper would submit a "decent" map, i'd stick it in the server rotation for a week and informal votes (not a poll or any crap like that but simply if people complaned of praise it) the map would either stay or get dumped.

I'm pleased to say not many did get dumped cos, as mentioned, i didn't like the idea of forceabley pushing crappy maps on people.

Now i have to confess quite some time ago i did in fact do a small shout out for empires maps and as the only 2 replies where, how shall i say, "a crappy" i didn't think the extra admin'ing of the (then only) server was worth it.

As the empires community is painfully small obviously the amount of willing mappers are equally rare.

To this end i'm now formally asking for 3rd party map submissions to be including on a BSID hosted server.

Cheers

17. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Well, I tried it, and it works! Perfectly! So respawnable buildings are another thing to tick off the list.

I also tried out a user-controlled train, and that works pretty well too. There's always the standard jittering you get when you stand on a moving object, but other than that it's great. Especially for transporting tanks...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

There are some maps that should be in BSID server's mapcycle but they need .res file and/or other details.