Custom Jewelries

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by PreDominance, Feb 13, 2012.

1. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Does anyone know anywhere online where one can order metal pendants/amulets with custom symbols? I want to try to get this carved and strung on a small chain necklace.

[​IMG]
    The symbol, not the paper.

Either that or make it myself, but I'm not sure how I'd do it.

2. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

What is it? Why is it important? WHY DO YOU WANT IT?

4. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Just get a split ring from an electric motor and chain that shit up, much more gangsta than getting it done by a professional.

5. Trickster

Use this (without the Bioshock bit) instead:

[​IMG]

No-one will get the reference except you. And I'm not talking about Bioshock either.

6. Trickster

Double posting BECAUSE I CAN. Also because Krenzo banned Viroman (for reasons I'm yet to work out, but he probably posted some dumb shit from MrDee), so he can't come in here and post his stupidly overused double post gif, SO I SHALL RUN RIOT WITH MY DOUBLE POSTING.

Realistically, it's about what you buy and what materials you go for. I remember buying a ladyfriend (and yes, if I'm talking about a ladyfriend we must be going way the fuck back in time) a silver bracelet, and it was coated in Rhodium to stop it tarnishing or whatever. The point being, if you start cutting into it, be it via machining or just manually using a burring tool, you're going to lose whatever finish it has on it once you cut in. They're usually dipped and then polished, and it's unlikely you'd get it re-dipped.

I've no doubt there are places that will do your pattern for a price, right from the start, but buying something already done (i.e. a circular pendant) with the intention of putting the pattern in afterwards is probably a bad idea. It also depends how deep you want to cut. If you want to take a very light layer off the surface (effectively just getting rid of the finish i nthat area) then it could work, but I can't see it looking good. If you want to go deeper with the cut then it's going to be more difficult.

Don't even consider having it melted into a mould, moulds are expensive as fuck. There's also the fact that regular CNC routers which cut often aren't accurate enough to compensate for any curved surface, so you'd be limited to a flat surface there as well.

In short, more information regarding what you want specifically, and I can look at options, given I have a fairly good knowledge of shit related to metals and processing them in general, albeit admittedly less with respect to the more expensive ones.

7. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Well it's excellent your realm of knowledge is similar to my wallet's. I'm not looking to buy something excessive, in that I don't need actual jewels, gems, or other rare metals/materials. Glossy metals (basically - not just cut out of plain aluminum/steel) or something appropriate will do fine.

The cut will need to be pretty deep into the metal, so that it is clearly visible. Even better would be for the inside to be a different colour, but I won't mind otherwise.
    It could also be raised instead of cut, though I assume that's more expensive.

As for why, well, a friend of mine and I really enjoy the show where that symbol comes from (Nikita), and I want to get it for her as a gift.

8. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  9. BloodRaven

BloodRaven Member

[​IMG]

Sieg Zeon!

10. Empty

Empty Member

[​IMG]

On a chain around your neck would be boss as fuck.
    Or on a ring.

Maybe a tattoo on your shoulder (not sure, that might be a bit far.)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  11. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

12. Mahtipakarat

Mahtipakarat Member

cast it out of pewter. shit easy. make mold, get pewter, heat cast. *drumroll* soak youself in gasoline and so on.

edit moar:
    "It has a low melting point, around 170–230 °C (338–446°F), depending on the exact mixture of metals"

so you can just use some random metal spoon or scoop and cast it with your stove and stuff derppa dfaerfaw3r4

EDIT. search google for pewter casting asedrf

also.
    Pewter is worth approximately 20-25¢ per ounce.

and and and and and.

13. Trickster

Yeah I never thought of Pewter actually, I've got a Pewter mug at home with a really detailed fox as the handle, it's probably like 50 years old.

Thing is, whatever you make the mould out of, you have to make sure that it won't melt at a lower temperature, and that it won't get fused. Casting is a bit more complex than people first think. I'll do some research. I know a decent amount about castings and forgings, but my main area of expertise is welds, I only know about those from extra bullshit theory exams I was forced to do.

Realistically, you could make a mould manually but I'm still for the precision for a proper CNC router based off a CAD drawing. My school had one so they can't be that rare among companies.

14. Mahtipakarat

Mahtipakarat Member

bullshit you could make a mould out of MDF pewter is so fucking cool.
    edit: it will burn because it's wood but it cools so fast it makes the symbol you want. (if you use mdf then obviouisly you cant re-use the mould.) maybe some clay or someshit. (evern sand?) but i would go with MDF.

15. Trickster

Yeah but afaik MDF is banned in the US.

EDIT: After googling, apparently not.

16. Mahtipakarat

Mahtipakarat Member

17. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Can't seem to find any place that will actually cut into the metal. It's all just lasered on...no deep incision.

It's needed by the 28th, so when all else fails..I can settle. She'll be distracted by fancy Italian food.

18. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Ewww ... I think I got it :sick:

(If you see it, you'll shit bricks ...)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  19. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

I think I'm missing out on something perverted here.

20. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

It took that long for someone to catch it? I thought it was well known by now...