Creating Custom Content

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by bitchslap, Feb 16, 2012.

1. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

If you are creating a map, a model, or simply a single texture for another to use, kindly follow this pattern:

1. Name your file's whatever you like, but conventional naming style's are appreciated by the community and your model or texture won't become obscure if it has a keyword as part of the name. ex: emp_tree, blend_rock_2

2. Create a new folder called 'custom'
    in " user/empires/materials/ "
    and in " user/empires/models/ "

3. Place ALL files required to function in custom folders

**It is highly recommended that you create a folder with your desired username under the custom folder and place all your work there. This will ensure everyone can easily locate your materials**

Lastly, if your content gets made official this will ensure that all files are incorporated into latest versions of Empires

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

how about you include the custom folder right away? see it as hint, if it needs be put a txt file in it that reads CUSTOM_CONTENT_GOES_IN_HERE.TXT such things often work wonders, sometimes they utterly fail though ;)

3. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

we'll get it committed. good idear flasche. and i think the noob txt file would be foolish NOT to include..

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I use naming conventions, I just use my own naming conventions that make sense to me because you don't need to know them.

5. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

and thats fine, i just wish for all custom content to be identifiable and manageable.

you don't need to alter much, and it seems like it will only apply to future released content, unless you wish to rename your map, alter paths, and recompile it. seems like there is no easier way.