Hey guys. I haven't been active on the Empires forum for a while but I'd like to share something that I've been working on. I like to do personal projects in the summer and my main interest in the past few years has been creating my own game engine. This mostly came out of my frustration after developing on Source and UDK. Often, I've complained about impossible to debug crashes, missing core documentation, and general over-complexity of current game engines. So I decided I would do something about it, and create a game engine that I would actually enjoy using! My initial vision was a 3D multiplayer browser-based engine. I like the browser platform because people can play your game without having to download or install a client. Last summer, I read many books on engine architecture and 3D graphics and created my own 3D renderer from scratch. It took a lot of time but eventually I figured out how to draw 3D models just from the raw vertex data and texture maps. Everything went well until I tried getting animations working. Unlike static models, animations are a huge pain. The main problem is that it's very time-consuming to debug animation errors. When something goes wrong, the whole model gets clobbered and you have to spend huge amounts of time checking your matrices, exporters, and rendering code to see where the problem is. In the end, I spent an entire summer doing 3D rendering and I couldn't get animations working. I took a hard look at what I was doing and decided that 3D was not worth it, at least in the short run. My goal is to create a game engine, not a renderer after all, and I was spending too much time on this one problem. This summer, I'm recoding the engine to use 2D graphics. The difference between 3D and 2D development is staggering. I literally got animations working in one day. I should have done 2D from the start, but at least I learned from my mistake. It's going to take a while to translate all the 3D code to 2D, however, it feels good to finally be making progress again. If you worked with me on Factions you know that I don't like to share progress until I have an actual product working. However, I think I need to change things up, because when I don't share my work, I often get stuck on inconsequential problems instead of making real progress. So I'm doing things differently this time and releasing updates as I go. The engine is called Sagaworld and you can access it at https://saga.world Note that the current release is very basic and you can only move your character and place tiles. It will take some time to port all the old code to the new engine. I'll be posting updates on Twitter at https://twitter.com/sagadotworld I have just over a month left before fall classes start so I need to get motivated to get things done. Thanks for reading this massive wall of text. I've been working on this for a while and hopefully it will turn into a useful, productive engine for anyone to use!