Create HTML Loading Screen Tips

Discussion in 'Community Requests' started by Beerdude26, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I would like to add a bunch of loading screen tips that explain common tactics that might not be obvious to new players. Stuff like not building walls all the way, good spots to place mines, and so on.

The new loading screen system uses HTML and is rendered using Awesomium, which is essentially a Chrome webpage. You can use any functionality the latest version of Awesomium supports.

In the Empires SVN, in the folder empires/html/loading/generic/3/, I have created a loading screen template. However, you don't need to hang on to this template. For the tactic of not building walls, you could have a few screenshots of a view behind unbuilt walls with some text next to it.

The only requirement I have is that the "Now loading <mapname>" text stays on the same spot, so don't mess with that CSS. Also, please ensure your hints work at a resolution of 1024x768. If that cannot be done for some reason, 1152x864 is the absolute minimum.

Here is an overview of how the data is loaded, as well as what kind of extra data is available to loading screens via the querystring: http://wiki.empiresmod.com/index.php?title=LoadingScreenScripts

If you're unsure whether a certain tactic would make a good loading screen hint, just post here.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  2. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

If you get killed by a mine remember where it was because its a spot where people that dont look on the ground get killed by mines.

3. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

The game revolves around the Command Vehicle, the objective is to destroy the opposing teams CV while protecting your own.
    If your command vehicle is lost your team will automatically loose the game.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2014
  4. Beerdude26

I'd rather you describe it as "Place mines in tight chokepoints, stairwells, on top of ladders... Any route that is used often by infantry. If you're killed by a mine and didn't expect it, you'll know that's a good spot, too."

5. Beerdude26

6. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

looks competent. The font though... it bugs me for some reason. Might be because it reminds me of an alarm clock.

7. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Try to shorten it, as loading times are quite quick in this version.
    Kinda more like:

[​IMG]

And do we have the ability to add custom loading screen images for custom maps? :) Or is that still hardcoded?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  8. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i hope you dont really think about adding something like start with building a vf and buy apcs as suggestion of good strategy on loadingscreens?
    not that its inefficient, but do you really intended the game to play like that?
    theres so many things that could go wrong and end the game prematurely, not only on the receiving side.

i think you should keep such options out of official descriptions. you will learn it soon or later - and im quite certain its sooner - anyway.

also yes, i read its a mockup, just saying ...

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

10. Beerdude26

You can add as many custom loading screen HTML files as you like for as many custom maps as you want. I'll split the loading screen data up, so you don't have to keep modifying a single file.

I can easily generalize it to just "APC Rush" and add a bullet point that this tactic is sometimes done early in the game.

In any case, I want some damn content, people! Either write the short hints or write these tactic explanations. Wall formations, which weapons are good against buildings, placing forward barracks' and armories as comm... Plenty of non-exploity tactics that we all know and use, that kind of stuff.

11. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

What LordDz said. These should probably be pretty short and to the point

12. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

armoire*

A tip that would probably be good is "As an engineer, place and use unbuilt walls for cover' and use an image of this being done. This is one that is hard to convey or explain to players without an image, so I think it would fit well.

13. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

Keep it short! Loading times for me are under 8 seconds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: Images say so much more than just words

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  14. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I laughed far more than I should have at those.

15. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Is it terrible that they're highly effective, too?

16. w00kie

YES.

The thing is, while memes (or whatever they are called) are highly effective, they age fast, so don't fill the loading screens with them :headshot:

Or do it anyway ^^

17. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

I'm guessing you have plans to include the old loading screen hints?

I think a lot of these things could be tied in well with tricksters thread of unintuitive stuff.

"As a Grenadier use your mortar to quickly destroy buildings. RPG's should be reserved for use against vehicles."

"As an Engineer use the revive skill to quickly bring your fallen team mates back into battle."

"Whilst offering excellent cooling whilst moving, fission engine will overheat extremely easily whilst stationary"

"Whilst offering excellent cooling whilst stationary, advanced coolant engine will overheat extremely easily whilst moving"

Is something like this what you are looking for or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

18. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I thought that too...

19. w00kie

Very well, BUT:
    Make that into less hard sentences first please, not everyone is blessed with British genes.

FISSION ENGINE:
    Keep moving for good cooling,
    go stationary for bad cooling.

20. complete_

complete_ lamer

posting this here
    i went through all the tips you had in the aforementioned folder a while ago and noticed that all the old tips were back. and those pretty much covered everything as I can't really remember much else to write about