Crash on Map Change / Xfire Reports

Discussion in 'Archive' started by MrBojangl3s, May 1, 2007.

1. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Note: This ocurred last night. I didn't try splitting my info into multiple posts, which apprently is how you fix the "Service Unavailable" message.
    This was in between a map change from Urban Chaos to some other map.
    I was running in windowed mode, with every graphical setting to low (color correction on, wait for vertical sync disabled, Trilnear Filtering, No HDR, and the rest of the stuff set to low or simple).

Empires (and hl2.exe) instantly crashed, giving me this error:
    [​IMG]

2. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Sorry for multi-posting, but I get a server error when trying to post

Attached is a zip of the TWO memory dumps that were created. It can be assumed that empires crashed twice, or if thats even possible.
    I belive that is the reason two memory dumps were created becase Xfire detected a problem in the /source sdk base/hl2.exe. It gave me this Xfire exception window: (I know this isn't an Xfire technical support forum, but it proves that Xfire detected the crash twice)
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. arklansman

arklansman Member

I love your background. :D

4. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Sorry again for multiple posting; it seems like the char limit is low

Both exceptions report the problem in this program desc:
    Code:
    <Application Build="25831" Command="&quot;c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ne0_1\source sdk base\hl2.exe&quot;  -game sourcetest -steam -game &quot;c:\program files\steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\empires_108&quot; "/>
    However, they detected two diffrent problems at two diffrent locations apparently:

Problem Number One:
    Code:
    <Frame ProgramCounter="00000001" StackAddress="0013A5CC" FrameAddress="0013A5C8">
    Problem Number Two:
    Code:
    <Frame ProgramCounter="0DAAB413" StackAddress="0013E6A0" FrameAddress="00000005">
    			<Module Section="0001" Offset="0000A413" FileName="c:\program files\steam\steamapps\ne0_1\source sdk base\bin\datacache.dll"/>
    Please note that the order of the problems does not reflect the order in which they occurred.
    I will attach the memory dump zip here for easy access, and I will also post this in the bug tracker, as well as send the dumps to bugs@empiresmod.com

5. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

I also have a possible looping sound crash fix!

As for my possible looping sound bug fix, I first went and aquired Driver Cleaner Professional, followed the steps in their readme on cleaning drivers (which included uninstalling all software through Add/Remove, then going into SafeMode and using their problem to clear the Drivers.cab and SP2.cab files, then basically destroying all ATi software, then installing the latest (well, not latest, 7.2 instead of 7.4) drivers and control programs from ATi).

Then, after reading online about this occuring in many Source-based games, I went to:
    Start>Run
    typed in
    Code:
    dxdiag
    Went to the "Sound" tab
    Lowered my sound hardware acceleration to "No Acceleration". I played like 3 maps without crashing (which included fixing my crash on pressing V in the VF) until I crashed with the report I am giving now.

Ok, thats all. Thanks for reading.
    And I hope Dee notices my BG.

6. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

I got that same error with all Source games around a year ago before I reformated my computer, I fixed it by downloading Direct X off the microsoft website. It worked until a virus eventually forced me to reformat my computer a few weeks later.

7. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

As far as the sound looping crashes, that may be a client side ordeal, but I'm pretty sure that Direct3D crash wasn't my fault. I've never gotten it, ever. In ANY game.

8. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

this isn't just a game mrbojangles, stop comparing empiresmod with other games ;p

9. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Empires is a lifestyle people

10. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Oh no, my thread is getting blackholed :(

11. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I get this problem aswell. Must be an ATi problem.

12. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

I have a radeon X700, and I know it is getting outrun by modern hardware, but it is fine for the source engine, which is all I'm concerned about. Fine up until like, the Ep 1 or 2 engine >.>

I will continue troubleshooting the looping sounds with various techniques (setting dxlevel) until I can find something that works.
    EDIT:
    If it's relevent, I was just doing some DX tests in the dxdiag, and I did a DirectDraw test. The windowed modes (both animated and the black and white lines) worked fine, but when it test in full screen I got a black screen for a minute and then my PC rebooted. Seems like my gfx card died.

Anyone else who has an ATi board, PLEASE do the same DirectDraw test in dxdiag and post your results here, maybe that has something to do with things >.>

EDIT2:
    Ok, well I just crashed again running with the same settings I mentioned in my first post, except with dx level 9.
    Got the same Direct3D error, same two crashes reported from Xfire, two more memory dumps created (will send to bugs@empiresmod.com).
    HOWEVER, this time I also got a Microsoft Visual C++ Pure virtual call or something, so it could be empires and not the gfx card. I'll keep debugging.

Last edited: May 3, 2007