Counter self kill "Exploit"

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Wertbarg, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

On several occasions, I have fired at a player who then knew that they were doomed. then they open console and kill themselves or even stoop as low to have it key bound. by doing so, they cheat other players out of their point that they deserve.

I suggest that, upon killing yourself, the person who last damaged you receives a point for killing you, and the kill message will report accordingly.

I understand that some people do this to "tactically" prevent their opposition from becoming stronger by starving them of promotions, but ultimately causes a high level of frustration (which is the last thing we want in a game). This proposal resolves this issue.

do note that there are quotes around the word "Exploit", take that into account if you are making a counter argument that pertains to what you are accusing me of calling it.

2. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

They're muppets.

The kill key was made available for public binding because it was necessary to work around the many pitfalls in empires maps and gameplay. The drawback of this is it's easy for an idiot to "cheat" you out of your point...but it shouldn't be overly widespread.

3. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

Within a few seconds, yeah. I want to say most games have this effect, source games too.

4. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

the problem with having a simple idea that everyone agrees with is that you get hardly any posts. could someone with the proper authority tell me if this is to be seriously expected to be implemented?

5. PatPeter

PatPeter I have no idea what I am talking about

Curse you Wertbarg, you stole my next point in this thread:

http://board.games4thecommunity.co.uk/index.php?topic=371.msg2515#msg2515

Yes, this came up when I played Zombie Mod in Counter-Strike: Source some 4 years ago, we had a ranking system and humans would kill themselves to avoid being killed by a zombie, and instead become one by suiciding. Eventually the server admins took ranking off.

This is not an Empires issue, it is a rank issue. I would suggest you bring it up in the same thread on the G4TC forums.

6. o_O

o_O Member

it IS an empires issue because suiciding denys the enemy a rank point. I suppose its tactically useful because the longer you can delay the enemies from getting more promotions the better.

7. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

pfft serves u right for using bio

8. teh_ham

teh_ham Member

Well if the person you're trying to kill has the time to actually press a key to suicide, you don't deserve the kill. Seriously most weapons kill in a second or two if you're lucky.

9. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

What is the meaning of "On several occasions"? We often discuss about problems, that are very theoretical.
    I haven't seen any player, who has killed themself just to prevent the enemy to get one point. I think therefore the points are to unimportant. Also the situation are very rare, in which you really have no chance.
    Most reasons are to get faster to another point of the map.

10. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

the denying points from the enemy is the only reason to do it, but it still causes more stress and frustration than it is worth, and if they managed to force you into that situation, then you should either mail them a cookie, or let them have their well deserved point.

I shouldn't have added that cookie in there, now the next 3 posts are going to be about cookies :(

EDIT: Sip, you must just be lucky that it has never happened to you. However, do note that I am not suggesting that suicide be removed, I am suggesting that when you kill yourself, it is not possible to deny the attacker their well deserved point.\

EDIT: what I mean by "on several occasions" is that it is not a theoretical situation that I thought up, I have seen enemies use it, I have seen teammates use it, and I have seen the frustration it causes both first and second hand.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  11. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

What's this about cookies?

...anyway, while I wouldn't have a problem with it awarding a kill to the last person who damaged you (within 30 seconds or some small timeframe) when you suicide, I think you're kind of exaggerating the problem.

Points aren't supposed to be such a big deal. And, seriously, "well-deserved point?" It's one point. In a typical decent-length game I probably lose dozens of points that I "deserve" because someone else gets the final hit, and probably get just as many points that I didn't deserve.

Who cares? How often do points actually decide the game? Does earning a new skill a single point earlier make such a big difference to you? Do the people doing this seriously think that having one enemy with one less point is going to change the game?

I'm not saying I'm opposed, but I don't see how it's such a big deal as all that, certainly not nearly as big a deal as kill-assists (which, unlike this, really do come up regularly.) If it's easy to add, sure, it should be added, but it's not worth spending time on.

12. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

its not so much the 1 point that bothers me, its the general frustration that it generates.

13. OuNin

OuNin Member

It's like Last Stand in CoD4. If you can't kill me the first time, fuck you!

14. zenarion

zenarion Member

Killing themselves still makes them lose a ticken on respawn.
    It is not imbalanced at all.
    Stop whining and using AIDS.

15. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Give a rank point for 100 damage given rather than a kill.

Problem solved.

16. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

Perfect for promoting sniping.

17. OuNin

OuNin Member

Since sniping is totally an efficient means of doing damage.

18. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

I like the 100 damage solution, as long as the Viper server's damage mod is wrong, otherwise everyone will use shotty pistols and run people over at full speed.

Zenarion, the point that they still lose a ticket is not an issue, and its insulting to assume people do not know that. In addition, using Bio only makes it easier for them to kill themselves before their health drains, and its not them being able to be revived that is a problem. Finally, your point on balancing; This is not the way the kill option was intended to be used and it is not a game mechanic in this game to kill yourself before you can be killed. by it being an issue of balance, you are implying that we consider it over powered, when in fact, it is not supposed to have the power to influence game play in that sense.

I never want to be in a game were the commander tells the team to kill themselves if they go below 40 hp because it will make the enemy weaker.

19. o_O

o_O Member

awarding points for damage is just better then awarding points for kills, assuming it doesn't award 6 points for a point blank shotty pistol to the face.

20. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I've probably seen this happen like once.. And in another game.. It's not as big a problem as your making it out to be, they lose a kill and they still die.. Points are not hard to come by in empires.. Stick with a squad and you'll have all 4 ranks unlocked half way thru a match..

I don't think this is big enough an issue to add a whole new point system. It's like those lulforts and too many people sitting in spec problems.. Let admins deal with it.