converting maps to empires

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by LawnNome, Oct 31, 2011.

1. LawnNome

LawnNome Member

the idea i've had recently is to take my level from another mod, embed the textures/models not included in empires using Pakrat. then switch in: commander, spawn points, resource nodes, using EntSpy. of course i would have to make the minimap and such, but in theory does this seem like an easy way to convert levels without decompiling?

(ps. i realize that you cant edit/create capture points because theres no way to edit brushes without decompiling, so this would be limited to levels that can be used for the normal empires gamemode.)

2. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

If you made the level, why not just use the vmf and open it in hammer?

3. LawnNome

LawnNome Member

in theory it makes sense to skip recompiling the map, but deciding where entities go by coordinates sucks. (plus no conquest mode is a boner killer) idk why i got so excited about being able to skip setting up hammer again, but here i am setting it up, again. :o

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

if its your map, why not simply compile it? if it takes longer then half an hour you probably did something wrong anyway. also decompiling always fucked up so many things that you dont really save time at all. rather make a new map yourself ...

5. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

With this technology op, we could port cs_office into empires! Lawnnome, welcome to recompiling under the empires set up, please don't be ridiculous about it, it's not that amazing.

If you are going to do this, get helmsdeep from Age of Chivalry.