[CONCEPT] NF Heavy Tank

Discussion in 'Art' started by Redskull, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Redskull

Redskull Member

Hey guys

I've been working a bit on the NF heavy tank, tell me what you think.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Angry

Angry Junior Member

It.... Kinda looks like a Leman Russ tank...

[​IMG]

3. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

To be honest, it looks a lot like the medium to me. Or a better proportioned heavy.

But hell yeah, with a scoop it'd be awesome :D

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

It feels more compact than the current version while maintaining its rough outline. Cool stuff :)

5. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

wow that color and lighting makes it look like a real clay model.

6. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

I love it, it captures everything good from the current NF heavy model but in a cleaner and more refined way. I love the dedicated missile port and machine guns that don't look awful anymore. The only feedback I can think of is maybe lowering the tank's "shoulders" so the turret will have a little bit more room for depression, though the tank's profile looks pretty much ideal right now and changing it might alter the feeling too much.

7. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Can you provide a side by side with your med tank?

8. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I'd go in the direction of The Beast if you want to make half of the community die via orgasm.

[​IMG]

Smithy did some old Beast-related mockups here.

9. CRITAWAKETS

CRITAWAKETS Member

Dammit sparty we now need to choose between mammoth tank and beast tank!

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

may i live up to my reputation as nagger and naysayer and mention that, even though it doesnt look bad, it doesnt fit the style of the other tanks you made for nf?

sry redskull you know i like your style (and i dont dislike this tank either)

11. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I'm going to agree with Spartacus, or rather, I'm going to say I'm not so keen on sticking with the current design. The turret is too high and it causes serious balance issues when the NF heavy just can't aim at anything down the side of it. If the BE Heavy suffered from the same issue then I'd consider it a novel way of hurting Heavy tanks' ability to combat the mediums and lights, and actually be kind of ok with it. But that's not the case and on top of that, the BE heavy is cannon based so it also has the arc to help it. With the NF heavy being missile based, a high turret really does hurt its fighting ability.

Lastly, it's kind of important to think about width and clearance. Right now the NF heavy is tall, narrow and has virtually no clearance. This means it's easily pushed around, handles very poorly and also gets stuck very easily. Meanwhile, the BE heavy is very planted, handles extremely well and rarely gets stuck.

So yeah, basically, at the very least I would consider having a very very fat man sit on top of your tank. I don't really think it matters what the actual design looks like, whether you want to stick with the WW1 style or go with the one Spartacus posted that Megel (original NF creator) did, for me it's more about the function and I don't actually think it would be that difficult to adapt your model if that's the direction you want to take. Just squish it a bit. Alternatively, consider making the areas around the turret sloped so the cannon can aim all the way down without clipping into the model.

12. ImSpartacus

It might be helpful to grab the be heavy's collison mesh and build an nf around that (out follow it very very closely).

That would help balance the use of reflective armor, which is currently pitched towards be at the moment.

13. Trickster

It's actually really broken on the BE heavy because of the way the tracks take the impact. It's actually bullshit.

14. ImSpartacus

As far as I know, the tracks don't take the impact. They aren't part of the collision mesh that is used for the hitbox.

But I don't see why a very similar collision mesh couldn't be used on a Beast-like NF heavy. It's broken, sure, but you can at least make it consistent.

[​IMG]

15. Trickster

The impact occurs behind the tracks, that's my point. Which means that for the most part, reflective only has a thin strip of the cover on top of the tracks to actually hit, if not that then it's basically the turret. The whole thing is basically fucked. I haven't got a fucking clue how it handles turret hits.

16. Redskull

Redskull Member

I talked to the other devs and we've decided to hold off with this one for a while, we're establishing a few workflow guidelines before continueing with new models so this one is getting scrapped.

I will post when there's something substantial to show.

17. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I mean sometimes im sad to be this polite as to restrain myself from responding in a way id call fitting.

18. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Well if you'd rather have fucked up models that don't work properly, go ahead.

19. duke

duke Former Developer (BE Creator)

I really like the style of this. Where you've put all the smooth curves is perfect. I fully endorse a similar treatment to everything else ;)

20. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Yeah, shit looks smoooooooooooooooth.

I can stare at it all day.