Complete vehicle rehaul, specializing chassis a bit more

Discussion in 'Coding' started by Lazybum, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Well this was suppose to be done like a month ago, but I got dumb and was messing with a bunch of stuff. Anyways here's a change log of sorts. Most of this is based off of FN's thread.
    So let me talk just for a minute about why this. The purpose of this is to slow down vehicle combat a bit and to give infantry more of a place. Due to less health and speed apc is something you can't rush around as much. Heavy tanks have been changed to very short siege breakers, frontline arty if you will. When I say short, I'm quite honestly talking about the length of 1 to 1 1/2 raxes, anymore and it's weapons will effectively do no damage. Mediums are the go to for vehicle combat, they are well rounded and useful in any circumstance.

Weapon damage for those meds have been changed to be a little more rewarding on each individual hit. So instead of a bunch of fast shots you have slower shots that do high damage. So make your shot count.

On that front vehicles will slow down as they lose hull health. This is to prevent tanks from running at a drop of a hat when you hit their hull, helping tank fights to actually end.

Reason for mines was to make it so people can't just defuse mine fields with a heavy tanks or whatever. So grens with defusal are a lot more valuable, making it so grens need to defuse minefields before their team can advance. Mortar was to make it so fighting at close range and rushing is not the best of ideas for tank drivers, and to reward grens making potentially a harder shot. A fun bonus to people who hate jeeps is that a mortar will one shot jeeps now.

All that said this isn't the very best tested, it's kinda hard to test giant changes with a handful of people. So quite a bit of it could either need tweaking or was simply a bad idea. I do at least hope to show how to effectively specialize the roles of the chassis a bit better.

WARNING: This set of scripts is completely incompatible with current empires. You will have lots of problems playing on the public servers. So back up your script folder so you can swap out when you want to play on the main servers.
    Download link is here.https://www.dropbox.com/s/a9phwriplbvufh4/Rehaul scripts.7z?dl=0
    Just extract to your empires folder and tell it to overwrite anything.
    Only the relevant files I changed are in there, so you can try it out with any infantry weapon changes.

Please, leave some comments and try them out.

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Oh god what have I helped create

3. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

What if you have heavies but no researched weapons?

4. Lazybum

Don't worry, this was started like January first, before spartacus pushed out the first slow heavy tanks. I'm just releasing them now because I'd be annoyed if I never released them at all. Besides, heavy tanks in this are very different then whats in the current game. Think of tank with melee upgrade, and only melee upgrade to use, punching out everything in sight. Like I said I really wanted to show that specializing the chassis are possible.

Then you have a big waste of space. I will admit it's possible to put an autocannon or that burst cannon on it, but that slow heavy will end up with like only 3 plates or something. So it'd be really dumb get a heavy.

In the research menu there's 2 big warnings that you should get a weapon first, one at heavy tanks and one on advanced chassis. I also pointed out which weapons require a heavy tank chassis.

It's kinda like before when it was a bad idea to get meds before a weapon, except it's a hard rule and not just a very very good idea.

5. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Bear in mind that our heavy tanks are about the size of a rax themselves, so 1 to 1.5 rax lengths is tiny. I would say push it to about twice that, since you can run about that as infantry. Though I say that without testing the scripts at all.

Also, I like the idea of everything you've done, except perhaps ML's might be tricky. Just on paper they're the only part that seem iffy.

6. Lazybum

It's that short because of how it annihilates everything at that range. Heavy laser will destroy any light or apc in like 1 second, it has a dps of 250 damage, but only at that range. Demolisher cannon? It destroys a rax in 5 hits, because it does 50 damage to buildings. It's a very short range nuke if you will, which also means it's kinda easy to blow yourself up but I like that risk. Burst Ml has a similar damage out put to demolisher cannon but without any bonuses to buildings and a decent cycle time. So you can spray death at everything at close range. It's something I may need to up the damage a tad, but it felt nice to use.

Guided bio ml is certainly something I don't quite know what to do with. So I gave it a faster firing rate, lower damage and shorter bio times. The idea is to be able to inflict bio over a larger area and use the guided part to help go around walls a bit. A fun part about guided is that it'll just follow whatever direction it was last going when it travels a certain distance, so if you make it short enough it's hard to effectively use at a decent range because you'll quickly lose control and most likely hit something you weren't aiming at.

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

so you instutionalize the stupid and odd feeling behavior of ramming tanks into eachother?

big meh from my side

8. Lazybum

Hmm, that is one thing I should have done, but I was getting pretty frustrated working with the vehicle scripts. It is possible to help that problem, by making chassis weigh different amounts so you can't just push heavy tanks around with jeeps. That's actually doable and maybe I'll go back to incorporate that. The other thing is making it so tanks don't hit max speed in less than 1 second, but due to all chassis having different transmissions and being forced to use the shifting values in the engines scripts there really isn't a easy way to fix that.

Which reminds of another strange suggestion thread I need to make.

9. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

no i meant it already is among the best stratgies to ram your tank - be it med or heavy - into the side of your enemy and unload all you got. what you described before sounds much like this now gets the intended way.
    the only way to not end up like that is to make tanks so weak you can kill the heavy before it reaches you, but then its no heavy anymore.

still, i only voice concerns, you shall have your playground to prove it. no matter how good or bad the scripts might be, its good someone tries - stagnation is death. at least empires dies trying, thanks to some commited guys like you.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015