Community input: Voice plugin

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Theowningone, Apr 29, 2010.

?

Which method should be used for the plugin?

1. Method 1

58.3%
  2. Method 2

16.7%
  3. Other (Please post.)

25.0%
  1. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

Proximity voice was discussed in the suggestion forum as a possible fix to voice comms being to wild on 64 player servers. The proximity voice chat works, but, I want to include the ability to talk to your team and squad still.

Now comes the community input part of things, to select voice channel I can use 2 methods.

Method 1:
    Players pick who they talk to.
    • Pros: You know who can hear you and who can't.
    • Cons: You may only want to hear local chat, but your team can still talk to you across the map, may have issues fixing the mic spam issue.

Method 2:
    Players pick who they can hear.
    • Pros: Players won't have cluttered voice comms, less mic spam.
    • Cons: Players may try to tell their squad to come help some where only to find that they're squad mates have squad voice disabled.

Also, post if you have any suggestions on how else you think it should be done.
    This plugin will be released when finished.

Note: Proximity chat is always on, selecting squad channel is squad+local voice, same with team.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

1 or something similar because communication is important, 2 would be worse ... also does that mean you can also hear enemies that use the "proximity channel", if so great.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  3. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

:D awesome!

I think a big issue is if someone doesn't realize you can't hear them. Like in COD if you mute someone they can't hear you talk anymore. But in emp if you mute someone they can still hear you talk which causes people talking over each other.

I really just wish there was a separate button to do local voice chat for telling squad members or people in the area to do certain things with out clogging up the team voice chat.

I also thought of some how having a radio effect on voices from out side of local ranges and anything local would sound normal.. Also having other voices volumes get lowered whenever the commander speaks.. Idk.. Just ideas thrown around, I dunno if any of these are possible.

4. Theowningone

Yep, was testing it yesterday in nachos, works like a charm.

Also, Note: Proximity chat is always on, selecting squad channel is squad+local voice, same with team.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  5. spellman23

spellman23 Member

So, let me get this straight.

We have effectively 3 channels?

Proximity
    Squad + local
    Team

And we're asking how to select which channel we use?

Typically, assuming these facts, Method 1 works best and leave listening to always on (but leave a mute system in place to turn off receiving spammers).

6. Theowningone

team is team+local, I can incorporate a mute system, but that;ll take a little while. I have plans for selecting the channels to be a key that opens a menu.

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

cant you make something like priorities, for example, commander is always amongst highest priority, unless muted, squadmembers are standard on second priority, anyone else is on third priority

you could make some panel or some menus to customise it ofc, like if you want to change a players priority you just do some fancy command line in chat or something

player A, B and C

player A is commander, B is your squadmember, C is some bloke you never herd of

player A is more important then B, B is more over C

if player C talks an no-one else, then C's volume is 100%

if player A talks, and player B talks at the same time then B's volume is turned down by 50%, making player A easier to understand, while still being able to notice player B trying to say something

if player C comes in for a chat as well, player C's volume is turned down by 75% (so A is at 100%, B is at 50%, C is at 25%)

ofc i have no idea if this will work both practically as in is it possible to make somehow

8. Theowningone

To my knowledge, theres no way to turn down a someones voice volume without it effecting everyone they are talking to, so

A, B and C are talking to D
    E is listening to only C
    Volume for C would have to be either 100 or 25 as a global.

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Yeah method 1 - you talk to local or you talk to global - two different keys/channels.

You HAVE to hear everyone, I don't think that's even a choice in this game (unless they're an idiot that needs to be muted). Even with full channels, people even go "wut? where's our comm? we lost?" when half a team (including the comm) has been yelling the comm needs help, and these guys are still asking for refs.

We've all seen it. Hearing less is not an option and is already catered for with mute.

10. recon

recon SM Support Dev

The plugin is impressive, but there's a bit of a problem. Suppose someone needs to talk to another squad on the other side of the map?

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

its only listed as something negative - for me its the reason to pick #1 :eek:

12. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Is it possible to include squad channels? That's how clans deal with 40+ matches in Empires (i.e. Alpha, Bravo, etc. squad channels in vent or TS).

13. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Love it included with a menu to select leave it possible to bind keys because i've got a few buttons on my mouse yet to use, like mouse 4 is my team talk button while button 5 is all_talk or local_talk

14. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

IMO this is all way too complicated. Make a button for "talk to everyone" and another one for "talk locally", problem solved. Everything else just confuses newbies and requires additional keystrokes that I'm just not willing to undertake when under fire or when the comm is about to get DU-rushed.

15. Theowningone

For your method it would require players to put aliases in their config files, also the current way is only like 2 keystrokes(Open menu > Select Channel)

16. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

method 1 can encourage trolling which is why I went for 2.

The commander can appoint players that get full teamspeak power.

17. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Can it use a toggle system? so I can still use my one push to talk button but change whether it's global or local(or squad)?