Commanding

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Paradox, Jan 9, 2017.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

if your team refuses to get into tanks or when a good portion of your team decides that scunt is the bestest class youre equally fucked. how far do you want to go with control over players choices, there are enough fuckups that can (and will) happen, you cant take everyone by the hand (aside of that it might be less efficient, a comm can only care for one thing at a time either)

also such things might lead to favoritism and new(er) or unknown players might never get to play certain aspects of the game.

not a fan.

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

People getting and losing such pricey things means the rest of the team who does care won't be able to get shit. Someone going scout means playing with one less person, no one getting tanks doesn't happen, there's always at least 2 that will get tanks and someone eating all the res from something stupid means those guys can't do their job supporting the team.

I don't look at it like losing or winning the game, I look at that when a player gets and loses such things so fast they hurt the ability of others to enjoy the game, because the rest of the team is too poor to even get a tank.

I won't disagree on favoritism or whatever, but I don't think a player learns anything if they constantly die within 15 seconds from getting something either. It's just like commanding, I recognize that new players need a chance to command to learn how, but the absolute basics of moving the camera around or even dropping a building is something you do in a tutorial(ideal) or on a listen server(less ideal because there's no way to enforce it.) Arty and similar should be in the same thing, destroy this building with arty feedback or whatever type of deal.

It's not like commanders don't already restrict the team, they do it by not researching things they don't want the team to use, like arty or plasma.

To help prevent everyone from getting arties because most should recognize that you only need like 2, maybe it would be a good idea for players to see how many of each chassis there is right on the vehicle selection menu? Also tells me if people are pushing tanks or it's just a bunch of jeeps, because the vehicle counter up top doesn't tell anything really.

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i said "a good portion", ive experienced games with at least a third of the team as scunt, this equally hurts everyone. and your two guys in tanks wont stand much of a chance against the 6 heavies rolling in either. and while its about enjoyment, i dont think less freedom of choice will make the game more enjoyable. i dont want to be someones puppet, im no AI soldier in a RTS game.

but anyway, if its all about arties then yeah, we already restrict them by not researching - although i do if my team wants them. i ask them to not build more than one (or two if its a large team)
    if they do not comply, its not my fault if we lose.
    but what i originally replied to wasnt "just about arties".

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  4. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I missed the good portion, but if that happens it's usually early game, arty and later weapon research are mid game after people have invested a chunk of time on the match. I'm of the opinion if the match is going to be super bad might as well get it over with soon rather then dragging it out. If the rest of the team is properly supporting those few tanks they can hold out for quite awhile.

On restricting weapons I agree, because I already do that by not researching it. If I do get it I think it's about giving the team a better option that some may find themselves more comfortable with, even if it's less ideal.

For me at least I just want chassis restriction because of arty, it's incredibly frustrating to see so many situations that would have been perfect for arty and I know the team will spam them and lose because of it. I just want options, and arty at the moment feels like the option to lose.