Commander uses wages to drop buildings and com-build vehicles.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Z100000M, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Probably suggested more than once, but i feel like this would be a logical thing to do.

2. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I doubt anyone would disagree with vehicles.

But sometimes comm wouldn't want to use his wages on buildings.
    I guess it's best to make this optional, comm can choose whether to use wages or not.

But...that'll take Candles another hour.

3. Z100000M

Why not? Itd drain team res otherwise, so the net change is the same, but allows you to drop refs in those situations where you happen to loose all/most and someone was dumb enough to buy a tank.

4. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I just want to donate my wages to the team resource.

5. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I just want wages to not exist, but I think there's a thread where we hash that out pretty thoroughly.

6. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

It's always best to make it optional, but it's definitely not the best for, the Candles.

What'd happen if buildings "compulsively" consume your wages?
    For example, if you will be doing a vehicle rush, you'd hate it if buildings consumed your wages beforehard.

Another example, if there's another good player on your team in need of a tank, you can't buy him one directly with wages because buildings already ate your wages.

Saving resources for your team is pretty inefficient. Wages can act like critical resources, you stopped newb from getting an arty so you can get a heavy tank yourself. The net change is the same, the effect is not the same.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with the core of this suggestion, but it would be better if the comm can decide to use his wages on refinery now, or radar 5 minutes later, or a heavy tank 20 minutes later..etc

7. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I'd rather just have a constant trickle of resources, or make the refinery free if you don't have any.

8. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Simplicity favors regularity.

You doin' it right, baby.

9. Z100000M

I really do not see your 1# problem. Right now, you would have your x wages and y team resources. If you want to spam make an early tank spam (douchebag move) youll spend x-whatever times the cost of tank you want, same for y. Whatever money you spent on buildings would lower the initial y

With the change, it would have probably no wages, and they would probably go to 0 when you build a tank, but you have way more y because it drained x instead. In a way, the change makes it more efficient because you would have only one resource pool with floating resource instead of two.

#2 Is very, very situational compared to a constant benefit, and chances are he used some of that higher team res before.

10. Z100000M

That still doesnt solve the problem with commanders floating a ton of resources.

Sure you can build some tanks if you exit the cv and build directly from the vf, but, frankly, if you are in a need to do so, chances are you are too stressed or busy to do that.

11. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

#2 happened to myself for countless times and I actually lost games for that.
    I have 250 ping, it's not very unlikely that I goof and lose my tank.

Even though I have 4 ways to stop my teammate from getting his tanks before I do.
    I'd still prefer if the comm can just buy me one with his wages.

Making it optional = all win except for the Candles.

12. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Yeah seriously, just let me donate my damn wages already.
    It's bad enough I need to worry about targets constantly, checking myself, the base, and resource points.

Me sitting there configuring a tank is taking time away from my team, and long enough to distract me from a scout rush.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  13. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Wage donating is something I can get behind, but then again I command so rarely I don't feel like I know what about res management is a problem.

I wish commanding wasn't such a terrible experience.

14. 101010

101010 Member

I's rather have Empires more wage based. Have refs give wages.
    And change team resources to commander resources.
    But Have commander resources slowly accumulate and not dependent on refineries.
    That way even the losing team is able to place buildings.

Also bring back research requiring resources.

15. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I'd rather chuck wages altogether. Almost every suggestion I've seen regarding wages amounts to "here's some overly complicated way to make wages better that doesn't really do much except make the game harder to grasp and justify wages." Wages shouldn't need another feature or problem to justify them, they should be able to justify themselves. Especially when there's a simpler solution that doesn't involve wages. Really, I'd remove them entirely if not for that two-year-old thread that voted to keep them. And even then, the most common argument is because jeeps cost money. I'd have half a mind to just make jeeps free if it'd get people to give up on wages.

And lets be real here. With jeeps being as cheap as they are and wages as much as they are, jeeps are pretty much free already. It's what, 2? 3? points to have enough wages to buy a jeep?

16. Z100000M

Well, im not really too hot on the wages, since they punish people who won't buy tanks, but they do kind of help in situations where you are low on res, to help salvage the game with a desperation apc.

It does however promote jeepfaggotry and farming points. I also think it might be a part of the reason why early vehicles are so shit now, along with free research, as early meds are pretty much guaranteed to be affordable.

17. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I fully support this, 1000% of the way.

Personally, the only time I bother with vehicles is when I can afford them with wages usually, and 80% of the time that is for a jeep. Someone should look at some screen shots, I bet the amount of res for each team roughly equals 15 heavy tanks.

Looking at some pug screen shot that number is closer to 20-25 heavies...

18. Z100000M

I cant believe that you guys are serious here. Sure, jeeps are in no way expensive, but it seems the price at least has a psyhological effect.

Sure, you can make an argument about big maps and whatnot, and i do think travelling for a minute is not much fun, but jeeps are really fucking shit in empires. They pretty much shit on any type of defence that is not a chokepoint filled with mines, making the normal squad tug-of war completely meaningless. You want to keep the refs around the map? Well fuck you, you cant. Grens cant hit them and sure cant keep mines everywhere. Walls are overpriced and building placement is atrocious anyway. Not like walls would stop an engineer anyway. They also shit on any sort of teamwork, you just go in solo and do your own thing, sometimes with a sidekick. Revs? What revs, you cant rev. You are also nearly immune to bullets as firing at jeeps is erratic at best. And they have an instakill in ramming that can wipe whole squads.

Just fucking trust me, you do not want to open this can of worms. Its a complete troll and bad player bait.

Oh and you forgot one crucial thing. While the price is negligible, its not so during the start of the game. You make them free and every map devolves into who can get the vf faster by selling the rax and the refinery and spam jeeps, hoping to kill the enemy faster than they can. Literally pants on the head retardation here.

19. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

personal resources are good. they lower the impact of people wasting tanks. if anything you should distribute all income and get rid of the teampool.

the real issue with res is the multi. its still not working. its still a different game depending on player counts. a low res map with 64 players means a no res map with 10. also idk if flags still dont scale like refs, thats bad on some map. problem is, other maps are going to break once again.

also zooms idea is good, but only if it takes from wages last - so the opposite of how its for players or comm wouldnt be able to accumulate wages for situations when shit goes sideways but isnt lost completely.

20. Z100000M

Yea, resource multiplier should be waaay more dynamic than what we have now.

I still dont know about your suggestion. I does solve the "I really need a fucking barracks now" problem, but does nothing to solve the float, as coms would have to fish for someone to use lots of res to drop some backup buildings or whatnot. Id say having some sort of set "safety pool" for those situations would be good, but thatd probably be just adding more shit to the com and we really dont need that.