Commander Designated Vehicles

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Trid3nt, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

What is it?

This is effectively a way of enhancing vehicles, by the commander, so that they have a slight advantage over others, this could be either available from the go, from researching it or from a mixture of the two.

Examples

No/Slower vehicle decay if selected
    (for example - APCs)
    Better range of vision/ Radar ability
    (for scout vehicles)
    Armour Regeneration
    (like a speedy armour regen)
    Extra Ammo
    'Lead tank' Enemy targeting
    (Allows players to target the same vehicle to do more damage)
    No radar detection
    (For sneak attacks)

Does it benefit gameplay?

It adds an extra dimension to the commander's arsenal, as well as making tank combat more tactical

Does it fit into the empires universe?

It is similar to the current infantry skills, and does not make tanks invincible

How feasible is it to introduce it to the game?

Would require coding, as well as some art images, nothing requiring new models

Is the usefulness of the suggestion relative to the effort that will go into making?

Commanders have a closer effect on the battlefield, without directly influencing fighting, therefore effort to do so is therefore less than the end result of the increased enjoyment.

How would it be implemented?

Commander researches the upgrade (if it is needed)

Players would then be in a tank, which the commander would select, choose the upgrade, which gives the tank the advantage, at the cost of resources. That tank is upgraded until it is destroyed.

Pros/Cons

Pros:
    • - Commanders have a more in depth front line job
    • - Players can have a tactical advantage
    • - Could potentially give losing teams a small advantage
    Cons:
    • - Possible problems with players demanding certain research for their tanks
    • - Similar to the above, but demanding a specific upgrade
    • - Gives a rich team an advantage over poor teams
    • - Could mean some players become invincible with the upgrades
    Alternatives:
    • - No resource cost
    • - No research
    • - Infantry activated
    • - given to infantry rather than tanks, so it is transferable to new tanks

2. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

nothing against it ^^

I would like to see some "effect" on that vec so the other team can see
    what vec is buffed. Like tf2 medic charge but not so crazy.

A speedy armor regeneration an a light tank seems overpowered

3. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Doesn't sounds very similar to infantry skills, infantry skills do not serve as a a "power" comparable to your suggestion for commanders.

Infantry micromanage themselves and their skills make them unique and allow them to customize their class. Commander is not in charge of micro in anyway, so judging from his current role, this would not fit into Empires.

I know I've been a big pro for allowing the commander to have some micro abilities, but they should be teamwork related, in no way should they be used as a "power" to either boost a unit individually or affect the outcome of a fight between 2 individual units, it should be left to their own playing skills, their tactics and the overall strategy that is outlined by the commander.

You also have not explained how this power should be used and how often it can be used, a power that costs resources will never be in favor of the losing team, unless the power is heavily based on micromanagement that can give you an edge, which again is not the commanders job like you suggest specifically. But then again, the winning team would still have more oppurtunity to make use of it, dependent on the skill of the commander.

Even though you say it does not make tanks invincible, assuming it can changes the outcome of a 1 on 1 tank battle, it should be seen as a success factor, gameplay wise. No longer would it be -more tactical- or -an advantage- when your comm uses it but rather a handicap when he doesn't.

To explain my point:

Being ahead on research is an advantage, having a more solid research path is an advantage, taking the best of what is available to you is an advantage.

Not having a radar built after 15 mins is a handicap, not having any armor or engine is a handicap, not having a commander in general is a handicap.

The presence of this would mean it is a necessity, it has to be in the way you suggest it affects tank battles, you gave it no delay, no pre requirements except the one time research and resources. Not only that if it was a feature similar to squad aura or infantry skills, would mean it is too weak to make a difference unless heavily micromanaged , which brings me back to my second point, micromanagement is not the job of the commander.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  4. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

I agree with all of it. The comm needs to have more of a role in the game. Once this has been done there wont be such a boo on being comm and more of a fight to be comm.

A truely well thought out idea. 11/10 :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2008
  5. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

If this was a squad power type thing, I'd agree. I also agree with the "don't decay" ability.

but the armour regen and ammo and such is just taking the winning of the war out of the players on the field's hands. as dizzy said, two players on opposite team's should only decide who wins and loses based on the tactics and abilities of the players themselves. How would you feel if for no reason at all the enemy team on counterstrike all had more health and ammo than you. even if you were working better as a team on the ground, you would probably still lose. Even worse, imagine if the enemy team for no real skill at all got wallhacks? Oh wait we already implemented that one.

but still: commanders stopping vehicles from dying is a good idea, I think.