Class/Team Selection Issues

Discussion in 'Support' started by ChubbyPitbull, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChubbyPitbull

ChubbyPitbull Member

I came here to expand on my issue that has been continuing, but I saw the old thread was closed so I had to start this one.

Sorry if I was unclear in my orevious post, but my issues with picking a class (and even a team), even when a new map starts. To eventually join a team, I have to basically spam the the button to keep bringing up the team selection window, and keep clicking the team I want to choose (which simply closes teh team selection window without putting me on a team). Usualy after doing this 15-20 times it will put me on a team.

Then to pick a class, I have to spam the class selection button and keep clicking on the class-pop-up menu (which simply closes the class selection screen, or, in somecases, brings up the server player/score list, instead of bringing up the pop-up menu to pick classes) until finally instead of closign the window it pops-open the menu to pick a class.

Once I'm in game (and I had a chance to test this today after reading the previous thread), the problem picking a new/class/weapon/skill persisted, even if I was standing in either a barracks or armory.

Just now, I actually managed to crash Empires trying to pick a class. My error was "CUTLinkedList Overflow".

My System Specs are:

P4 3.2 Ghz w/ 800 mhz FSB and HT
    Nvidea GeForce 7600 GS AGP
    1.25 GB SDRAM

My ping on the two servers I had these problems on was 40-60ms on one, and 90-100ms on the other.

2. Silk

Silk Mapper

I really have NO idea what could cause something like this.
    I'm wondering if it's just you, or that other people have had the same problem.

I know there are some things that needs tweaking, like that window that keeps popping up when there are no spawns left.

But this is new too me.

3. ChubbyPitbull

ChubbyPitbull Member

The problem also occurs when I use the "f" popup menu. However, I also noticed that if I use keyboard shortcuts navigationf the "f" popup menu, it works fine. I'm going to try reinstalling all the clients and patches, but are there keyboard shortcuts to pick classes/team/skills?

EDIT: I uninstalled the whole package and reinstalled, again following the install directions on the Empires page. Joined a server, problem persists. :(

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  4. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

I've had this happen before, but it's very rare. I ended up having to press an arrow key before clicking something on any menu. Then it would work as normal, till the next menu came up.

5. ChubbyPitbull

ChubbyPitbull Member

Aye. I also found a slight work around where if I hit Enter at just teh right point, the window will stay open and let me do stuff. Annoying, but at least I can play a little better now.

6. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

I have an idea what can cause this:

Lag.

Learn patience, young one. Those of us on 56k know well these issues.

For the love of god don't "spam" buttons. Press them, be patient. The system will eventually get the idea.

7. Caelo

Caelo Member

this one happens to me a lot too lately:

Once I'm in game (and I had a chance to test this today after reading the previous thread), the problem picking a new/class/weapon/skill persisted, even if I was standing in either a barracks or armory.

I also have the problem of having skills that dont work :S
    Like say I am a scout with hide and I can hide, really irritating. This problem goes away though if I join the other team.

8. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

I can't set my team select button to F2 anymore, it gets reset over and over again, can someone help me with that?

9. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Theres 2 reasons why that happens,

1) you might not have deleted your config_backup.cfg, which might have overwritten it again.

2) when you enter a vehicle, vehicle.cfg is executed, where f2 is binded to the 2nd passenger seat. When you exit the vehicle, it will not overwrite f2 back to team select, because you did not specify it to do that anywhere

Theres a few ways to fix this.

One way would be binding F2 to teamselect in every infantry config (engineer.cfg etc). That way, whenever you enter a vehicle, F2 will be 2nd passenger, but once you exit again, it will be overwritten with team select.

Another way would be ofcourse changing the binds in your vehicle config.

The best way I think would be to bind it into your autoexec.cfg so it binds it to team select everytime you join the game, and then also bind it in every infantry config so itll switch back when you exit a vehicle, also don't forget to delete your config_backup and make sure it isnt binded to 2nd passenger in your config.cfg before starting the game

10. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Or you could just bind it in infantry.cfg, which is executed whenever you spawn in a barracks or leave a vehicle.

11. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

that would be too easy

12. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Easy is better :)

13. Blacer

Blacer Member

I too had the problem with the class selection screen, everytime i clicked somewhere in the window (doesnt matter where) the window just disappears, and i cant change my class or skills anymore.
    At the beginning of the game, i dont get this bug though.

14. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

I used to have it bound to F2 without it messing up, it would do everything except move to 2nd seats, and I was fine with that.

Will try the first method given.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.