christmas

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by flasche, Nov 27, 2011.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

so today is the start of advent.

im no christian, if christ really existed, he only was the first hippie a story was written about, but i really like christmas time.
    and i dont mean because of gifts ...

[​IMG]

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

advent has nothing to do with jesus afaik, i dont know why a lot of christians celebrate jesus being born on the 25th, but his birthday is in the bible both referred to as on the "14th of May" and the "6th of January" i haven't found any references to the 25th

december the 25th is one of the possible days when the Solstice starts (between dec 12 to dec 25 afaik) the 12 day festival when the days start to become longer again

if someone could clear this out?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  3. flasche

"Advent (from the Latin word adventus meaning 'coming') is a season observed in many Western Christian churches, a time of expectant waiting and preparation for the celebration of the Nativity of Jesus at Christmas."
    -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advent

christmas itself probably has its roots in pre-christian traditions (i think germanic or nordic or smthg like that)...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

k, i guess its just one of those weird things

happy advent flashe!

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I thought advent started on the first of December. That's when my calenders used to start and I could start getting chocolate. I miss advent calenders.

6. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

I think it starts the first Sunday out of 4 before Christmas.

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Considering the bible would use either the hebrew calendar or the julian calendar, while we use the gregorian calendar, it's kind of hard to translate the dates, plus it's much easier to just stick the festival onto the most convenient timeslot.

8. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

You probably just like the romantic mood girls get into when starring at a candle. But i still buy myself an advent calendar every year, it's just so nice to get something sweet day by day.

9. Trickster

Yeah I'm genuinely tempted into doing this.

10. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

I remember mom used to buy me one of those chocolate calendars every year, but stopped because I always ate the entire thing in one day.

11. flasche

hehe i got one of those "kinder überraschung" calenders. dunno i like the christmas mood and i cant deny what mcgyver said ^^

12. Deiform

Deiform Member

You work for a living. Just buy a fucking chocolate bar each day and a Tango.

13. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

i noticed how western holidays like christmas, halloween, thanksgiving, and easter are slowly poisoning non-western cultures... but the west does not really accept non-western holidays.

do us westerners integrate chinese new years? golden week? moon festival? hell no.

in asia, ud see public streets decorated with christmas lights. even in secular countries where christians only make up less than 1% of the population. hell, would you see red lanterns and other chinese decorations on chinese new years on public streets? hell no.

i just think its horrible that western virus is poisoning so many cultures and turning us faster into a new world order. while the west pretty much resists influences by outside forces. its like how the in iraq, kids are starting to have the "freedom" to idolize 50cent and other gangster bullshit. would american girls, start idolizing a korean boy band that is #1 in asia? hell no.

always spreading the bloated and deformed "democracy" into other countries and making them change to western ways.

dont let them take over us... dont let the world turn into one giant world government.

14. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Many pagan religions celebrate those winter solistice days, so the Roman Empire changed christmas to the 25th (or made christmas itself) to get attention away from those religions.

15. Trickster

It's not the same if I do that.

16. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Shut up.
    Also, I like how you say western but you mean USA only.

For the rest of you, enjoy the night. I'm making homemade pizza.

17. Trickster

Alucard, how about you stop being such a whiny annoying bitch, and leave?

18. Deiform

Deiform Member

I think that would solve most of the world's problems tbh.

19. Trickster

To some extent, but you've got the issue of them ignoring areas that don't produce much. It's like our government at the moment. Why give a shit about Liverpool when London makes infinitely more money and isn't populated by scousers. It makes sense.

20. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

True, but if we can find an answer to the energy production question and solve the hunger crisis, I think a global government would be a lot better than the current ones we have now.