Chris Discussion

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by spellman23, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I'm not jumping logic, I realise a lot of people on the forums dislike the ideas, my point is that the people on the forums are fucktards and there's like twenty of you. Compared to the enormous market of possible gamers who like good games like TF2 and battlefield and CSS and NS.

Empires has ideas which could massively expand the enjoyment of the traditional FPS, the buildings system could hugely improve replayability of maps, the customisation could have a similar effect, and squad leaders with commander functionality would allow for a very interesting method of combining FPS and RTS because it scales with the number of players on the server (more players = more commanders to manage them) and it does not prevent the squad leader from playing the FPS element. It adds a lot to the FPS without detracting from its basic fundamentals, unlike the idea of a global commander who cannot play an FPS role.

It seems perfectly rational to try and appeal to a lot of people rather than to appeal to a miserably insigificant corner of the market and end up with stagnant, unpleasant mod plagued with the same players and the same maps and the same silly crap over and over again. As I'm sure everyone knows, new players are the lifeblood of a game, you need them to keep the game fresh, otherwise you end up with the same intolerable cretins every game, and that is hardly any fun.

As most of empires organised play is done over the microphone anyway the game would hardly suffer for the lack of a commander, I do generously assume the much touted teamwork element which is so immensely evident in the community means that they possess the brains to organise their own commander without needing the game to pin a little badge on them, and that they are clearly, being so teamwork oriented, capable of acting as a team and building structures where needed and researching coherently, or am I being a little over optimistic there? I am even considerate enough to accomodate these desires by not requiring the outright removal of the commander, so it surprises me that the intelligent, team-spirited members of the community find it incomprehensible that the game might require actual teamwork in order to get, well, teamwork.

2. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Not that i'm here to disagree with you, but you'll find that a commander coordinates people across the map. With squad groups, you will probably find that the game shrinks the teamplay into small groups, and creates a situation where people work together less, not more.

That being said, you could possibly mitigate it by having larger squads, and more like having two or three divisions of 10, which would be like an arm of the army, rather than a taskforce. Tri-pincer attack, anvil and hammer, and all that jazz..

3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the people on this forum, and thus the average in opinions on this forum does not equal the average of people that play the game

it is a known fact commanders get blamed all the time when stuff goes bad

amoung others, some of the important reasons of that is that the commander is the most important link, and if he is weak everyone else is weak

some game mechanics need to be improved to resolve some annoyances and streamline the commander function

4. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

You too believe that the commander and game mechanics need to be improved and the reliance distributed like some of the suggestions here say, but you don't think Chris's full changes need to be implemented, do you Blizzerd?

5. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

I don't think large change will ever happen. there's no point in discussing making the mod into something really popular without a commander because it won't happen. I mostly post here for the luls

6. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

As someone once said.

"The stupid aren't the majority, they're just the loudest."

7. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

then foxy, who in this thread is the loudest?

you should be careful when making broad generalizations.

8. Demented

Demented Member

It's all text. What are you going to do, measure who uses the most capital letters?

9. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Do you not know what the word "metaphor" means?

10. Demented

Demented Member

I'm rather busy to be giving you grammar lessons now, pickled. Maybe later?

11. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

This comic is about you.

http://abstrusegoose.com/212

Most of what you say is a barely coherent mess of unneeded adjectives, excessively long words and sloppy conjunctions. Look at this, one fucking sentence, the whole thing:

"As most of empires organised play is done over the microphone anyway the game would hardly suffer for the lack of a commander, I do generously assume the much touted teamwork element which is so immensely evident in the community means that they possess the brains to organise their own commander without needing the game to pin a little badge on them, and that they are clearly, being so teamwork oriented, capable of acting as a team and building structures where needed and researching coherently, or am I being a little over optimistic there?"

Translated into non-retard:

Most of empires' organised play is done between players over the microphone, and consequently the game wouldn't suffer without a commander. People can organize themselves fine without one and game mechanics could be added for players to build buildings and conduct research.

Go learn to write properly instead of hiding behind a disjointed series of long words that obscure meaning and clarity while assuaging your vanity.

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Which one of the circles am I supposed to be?

I am also sorry that I use words you find difficult to understand, it's common parlance for me.

It's repetitious yes, but as I've been saying the same thing for about three pages, I felt it neccesary to try and be as thorough as possible because people seemed to be not getting it. I would suggest being less stupid if you want me to stop.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  13. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Yes, clearly my diminutive intellect is no match for your superior vocabulary.

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Actually that was specifically so I don't have to repeat myself, I only do it if people don't get it the first several times.

The vocabulary is hardly superior, it's just normal, it's not like I deliberately look up confusing words, it's just how I and everyone I know speaks.

15. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

If you don't want to repeat yourself might I suggest you try writing clear and concise sentences? If you'll notice my translation of your super-tard-think-i'm-an-intellectual speak is much clearer and isn't nearly as mentally abrasive.

Your writing is almost painful to read and I'm afraid you might fail the turing test as you appear to lack any of the natural sensibilities of rhythm or verse. If its true that you write as you speak, then I dread the day we might converse.

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Are you going to debate the subject or just practise literary criticism?

17. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

How's that working out for you Chris? Do let me know if you stumble on a method more effective at achieving your desired effect.

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

My normal response is usually to find better people but sadly that isn't an option here, so I am forced to fall back on simply phrasing it every way known to man or god.

19. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

That's a fine excuse.

No really it is, I completely understand. Reminds me of the walls-of-text I have to put up in my threads in the G4TC forums to keep the trolls out.

20. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I don't suppose you have any idea why it doesn't work here?