Changing of the guard & Future of empires

Discussion in 'News' started by Catface, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Catface

Catface Member

After a developer meeting that took place last Saturday it has been decided that I and Tama will be leading the development team from now on. Our former lead Beerdude will be stepping down.

Amongst the many things discussed was the future of Empires. As a result of the meeting a consensus has been reached that can be summarized as follows:

1. After porting our build server, we will work towards finishing the implementation of a new GUI system that will be both more user and performance friendly, and offer a high degree of client side customization.
    2. GUI changes will include the removing of redundant tabs, drop down menus and drag-and-drop item selection in favour of a system that gives players access to all the information they need, while also supporting key binds. The research and commander view will be further optimized with the addition of research planning, a fully unwrapped research tree, easier ref placement and the ability to bind keys to squads. In the upcoming weeks we will release mockups and keep the community updated about our progress.
    3. Assuming the go-ahead is given Empiresmod will become open source once the new GUI system has been implemented. A single client will be released by the official team though. Though again, we are still looking for explicit approval for this action.
    4. We will prioritize polishing the game before moving on to a different engine. What engine we will use has not yet decided, though Unreal Engine 4 was the most favoured candidate.
    5. Major tests will be scheduled on Friday 21:00 GMT on a weekly basis. A 24/7 test server will be maintained and the Beta branch will be downloadable for all players.
    6. Upcoming events will become visible in the menu. Including PUGs, Scrims and Tests.
    7. A WIP new XP system and scout hide mechanic (similar to TF2) will be implemented. Commander markers and the ability to donate wages to the team will also see implementation. Revive will become a default skill. We're also working on bots/drones.
    8. The artists (Mappers, textures, modellers and animators) will focus on creating new HD textures, adding additional chassis variants for both teams, polishing some of the rough animations and enhancing existing maps.
    9. Certain exploits that have come to our attention will be fixed.
    10. Balance (Script) changes and suggestions will be discussed on the forum. So far the changes include faster all around gameplay through more lethal weapons while reducing lag from too many projectiles. Other changes include an optimized research tree, additional light weapons, new chassis, asymmetrical research options and more wages being gained from destroying vehicles rather than killing infantry.*

*These changes are still being tested and continue to be up for discussion.

We have also had new additions to our team. If you would like to help with Empiresmod or have ideas. Please send an email to catface@konjoined.com.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  2. complete_

complete_ lamer

Good luck.

3. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Good luck guys & cheers to everyone that took it this far.

4. Metruption

Metruption Member

Did Krenzo give you guys the a-ok to go open source? This is technically his intellectual property or something, right?

5. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

tfw when you see the empires source code

[​IMG]

6. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  7. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I very distinctly remember you saying that you'll never post The Gif again. Do you know how I feel right now?

I'm interested in where this takes us. I hope for the best, of course.

8. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Regarding the open-sourcing step; we had agreed only to do what we can; this includes the necessary splitting up of the code base, as part of it is owned by Valve and cannot be made open-source. Krenzo was not present in our meeting, and we still have to ask how he feels about this. In fact, the only definite decisions I feel we reached in the meeting were the ordering of our priorities; build-server, UI, facilitating events and spectating, last of all the new marker and xp features.

Spike and I have recordings of the meeting (+/- 90 minutes), which anyone here who wants it is welcome to listen to. (fair warning; the pacing was slow due to little pre-determined structure)

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

10 bucks says krenzo still feels the same way as the other times we asked if we could make empiresmod open source

>no lol

10. Z100000M

Wait now what? You went ahead and said youre planning on releasing the code without having the go-ahead from krenzo? Its hard for me to restrict myself to use words such as rash or foolish to describe this. Last time i heard from (i think ) beerdude is that this really is a swampland you dont want to go into in the usa.

11. Catface

Catface Member

We're just going to ask again to make absolutely sure this is okay, and because we'd very much like the support of the original creator.

Because some people are giving conflicting reports ill edit the entry.

12. Z100000M

Well i dont really imagine Krenzo would have much interest in doing so, last time i heard he found employment in a company developing some new-age level stuff.

Doesnt hurt to ask i guess.

13. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Gents, I loaded, built and ran through the UT code that Kylegar started porting in March 2015. He did quite a lot of work to get it up on it's legs, but still there is a very large amount of modelling work. I don't think any of the maps will easily port. From what I looked at the structure of how models work within the Unreal Engine is all there, but forming the models to work like Empires, and provide a COM view needs lots (I mean LOTS) of work. I see this as a multi-year effort from a fair size group, most of which are graphically inclined.

If you could get Kylegar to help - you might be able to succeed more rapidly. He's the talent. You also need project management - organization, scheduling and setting up priorities. Random development is going to result in a cool project that never ships anything. Laying out a long path, and short term goals, with checkpoints to see if you are making any progress at all should enable you to determine when this could be completed.

Kylegar said his first goal was infantry first, which is a great goal. If you could organize teams of parallel effort working on 1) Infantry, 2) Vehicles, 3) Commander, 4) AI Bots, 5) modelling for everything with it's own schedule, then you might be able to complete this within a year. And if you can't get it done quickly (1 year) you will lose key developers/modellers.

I don't know all of the talented Modelers that have made Empires what it is, so no insult intended on not mentioning them. But I am impressed with what Doc Rabbit has done. Please try to get him on board.

Kylegars original work an details on how to build everything is here:
    http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=19229

PS: If Kylegar was not mentioned, and all of his work, that would be seriously unfortunate and not at all a good start to this effort.

14. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

Kylegar's working on squad which is gonna be awesome.

15. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

I've also looked at what Kylegar did, pretty much agree with everything you said with regards to that. Krenzo left his support for any continued development on that project if I recall.

And yeah, Kylegar is working on Squad which is why he stopped development on the port.

I'm assuming the plans for UI are just a continuation of what Beerdude started? There was a thread with ideas for layout on vehicle creation menu that had some good starting points to make it easier to use that may be good to use for whenever that gets started on.

16. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

What do you think of possibility of compiling Empires to run on linux since HL2 is supported already?
    The steam/linux field isn't as crowded yet, it could attract some interest.

And I'm all over Kylegar's UI posting... good stuff.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  17. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

I thought the devs were waiting for the glory that is Source 2?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  18. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Empires2: A full conversion mod for HL3!

19. Catface

Catface Member

Not anymore. The new attitude is to work with what exists rather than to wait for source 2 to come out for a larger audience.

This has been suggested and we're going to look into it as well. Though last time I heard there were problems getting it to work, but I don't know the specifics.

20. 101010

101010 Member

Your allowed to share Valve's code as long as your not charging for it.
    says so in the SDK LICENSE.

"You may, free of charge, download and use the SDK to develop a modified Valve game
    running on the Source engine. You may distribute your modified Valve game in source and
    object code form, but only for free. Terms of use for Valve games are found in the Steam
    Subscriber Agreement located here: http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/ "