Change Log

Discussion in 'News' started by Krenzo, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Get yer Towels! Come get yer towels, can't 'Itch 'Ike 'Cross 'Alf 'he 'alaxy 'ithout yer Towels!

2. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Should gather all the changelists from the RCs for release so people can really see just how much has been changed on release :)

3. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Someone volunteered to put together a list of all features and bug fixes that stand out as major ones. The full change list is probably not going to be read by many people, but a short list of all the most important changes would be readable.

4. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

On the other hand, a small list will make it look like there are less changes than there really were.

Both? :)

5. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

A note stating there are hundreds of other changes which you can read in a .txt file should do.

6. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Well Brocolli and I had been working on the empires wiki changelog, not sure what state it's at now

7. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

just have the really long change list with the most imporant changes first (instead of chronologically) and you might want to remove any changes which were fixing bugs that were also created in the RC's. as much as that was difficult and rewarding coding work, it's not exactly a change from 1.071b = 2.0 to say "we made these bugs AND fixed them!"

perhaps the last line could read "there we're also 657 other minor bugs that have been fixed" (657 is a guess :p)

8. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

9. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

What?
    You're not serious right?
    I fail to see what this has to do with the mod or the release, or why it should be second last and not last and on a completely different page.
    I've said it like a million times, but you guys are taking this stuff too far, stop expanding the whole thing in anticipation of a clan scene, this is just getting more ridiculous by the month...

There is a reason why the voting on clanbase failed, there was no potential for a ladder back then and whether there is going to be one with 2.0 is not even 100%, apart from maybe a few games between the existing clans, that you can count on one hand.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  10. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I can see it working even if it's just the clans there are now.

11. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I agree with dizzy.. why the rush? and you bring up the leauge like its a feature in the game.. this reminds me of those infomercials that have a crappy product and say it has all these uses.. like.. its a broom! but its also a stick! even tho its just a broom.. haha im a little gonzo rite now so that might not make sence.. BUT

can we aleast wait for more clans?

I think SeedoubleU and Jipple are the only ones who will be ready at release

12. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Well if its the official league, but I don't see it working without life support.
    How many clans have signed up? Right now only CW and JPL.
    There is no ladder and rules to support any kind of ladder system. There are no indepth rules on how the ranking works, no rules on how to arrange a match. The "risk" style has maps like Oasis in it and its supposed to start with 2.0?
    There has never been a single game played under this league, its all theoretical. Even if it will work, what is it doing on that page.

Has any of the guys hosting the league had experience in organizing a real league? Is all the code behind the whole league system finished?

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

How many clans does a decent ladder need? atm how many people are in each clan? 10 or 20ish? Do we have a big enough fan base yet?

I dunno, but mebbe you should hold off 'til we get the large influx of players within' the first two months that i'm expecting. Tbh tho, i'm still worried about whether or not this mod will break out properly and get the fanbase it deserves...still in the touch-and-go phase to my eyes.

14. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

All the coding for the league site is done. Clans can have pages there. They can then be added and modified to the gameboard map. The only two clans that have "signed up" right now are CW and JPL because Arklansman and I were testing out the clan profile pages.

Anyway, it isn't a stats based (ladder) league. SO, it could exist with only 2 clans. That would mean there were 2 entities splitting up all the territories. However, I think we will have 4 or 5 clans participating. (CW/JPL/U/1337/KEU/ETC). Don't call it a fake league because it isn't boring and ladder based.

Also, the first season can be one for new clans to watch. I don't expect a big influx until season 2. What's the rush?

Lastly, this is not a concern of yours Dizzy. It looks like BSID won't be competing because of lack of manpower.

15. Simon

Simon Banned

U doesn't have enough(correct me if I'm wrong jj), part of 1337 is in KEU(Pretty sure), z4g you might as well play against bots.

Other than CW and JPL I don't see there being a clan ready to start playing in a league within a week of 1.08 release. But have fun.

16. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

I realize that they don't yet have 10, but that 1 week of 2.0 should be plenty of time to get 1 or 2 guys. Anyway, this is offtopic

17. Chahk

Chahk Member

I'm with Dizzy on his point that League-related stuff shouldn't be on the "New Features" page.

First of all, it's not really a feature of the mod but a server-side add-on, which to my knowledge is not being distributed with the 2.0 installation. But more importantly, it has never been play-tested properly. Sure, the sign-up process might be working fine, but what about the data from the actual League matches? Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know that has not been tested at all.

I say give that section a page of its own, hype the shit out of it, but make sure you're very clear about the fact that it's a custom add-on that doesn't come standard with the 2.0 server install.

18. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Who cares? We made the league in a way that a minmal amount of clans can compete without worry...

JPL and CW had a couple of skrims; so people for either party will not be a problem...

If your clan does not want to praticipate so what?

In any case; the first season will be a learning experience for the league no matter the amount of clans in it...

The risk style gameple was introduced to give more meaning to losses and wins instead of just a pure number, strategy past the actual game is important now as well...

The only clans that are saying this is a bad idea; are the ones who are under reprisented for one reason or another..

19. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

I guess I need some stuff clarified. Is that page I made the official PR website? If it isn't then I don't see a problem with having league stuff on there.

Additionally, the game style isn't a server plugin. The winner is just reported by the referee to the league website and then it is added to the database-driven website. This HAS been extensively tested.

EDIT: Also, this is what the PR site says about the league:
    You'd have to be pretty dumb to not understand that first bullet, right?

20. nebajoth

nebajoth Member

Oh noes, not more energy in promoting the good features of Empires. Someone stop these madmen from investing time into it. We need to crack down on this immoral display of wasted energy. I think Evan is trying to undermine Krenzo with his league-aggrandizing moves. First, he had himself nominated League Commissioner, and now this?! He's clearly making political moves to take over the mod or something. Don't trust that guy.

I'm with Dizzyone. This "fun-enhancing" has got to stop. Everybody stop making moves to improve gameplay. It's selfish and destructive.