Chaff launcher

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by angry hillbilly, Jun 29, 2008.

1. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

I think that it would be handy as a counter mesure on aircraft and tanks to have chaff launchers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaff_(radar_countermeasure)

It would scramble enemy radar makeing the radar give false readings showing a scramble blur in that area or the chaff masking the chaff users teams numbers. On the enemy map it would show a blur and the map in that area would fizz and the enemy would be unable to mark targets for a time and if they try it would place randoms spots on the area. Also any targets that have been marked would dissaper But the chaff would also affect both teams radar meaning you would not be able to mark targets as well. And spotted enemys on both teams would not apper on map.

For aircraft the chaff would scramble the radar but also confuse the AA launchers makeing them fire randomly into the chaff. It would also mask where u are showing multi copys of you over an area and the AA launchers would fire into these copys BUT they could also fire at you as well cus to them u count as a copy so it is NOT full proof

Pros:
    Could be a handy weapon in confuseing the enemy and good for masking your team.
    Good weapon for attack and defence.
    Good for bombers

Cons:
    Could be pain in ass to code?

^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  2. Mr.Bungles

Mr.Bungles Member

/fixed

but seriously, i think that this would be a good idea

3. Empty

Empty Member

Yeah, though scrambling the radar might prove hard [the HUD minimap] maybe just apply a refraction texture?

4. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

/repeats self
    Suggest aircraft stuff when we have to work on aircraft, it's pointless to suggest it now.

5. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

I was hesitant about suggesting it before aircraft are introduced and wasnt going to untill they were BUT I also read about them being used on tanks as well as aircraft so I said both without duel threds ^^

6. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

I suggested this in the "Smoke should block turrets" thread, I think it would be cool if chaff confused locked-missiles by making them veer off course, attracted by the chaff, and then flip out and go haywire when they enter thechaff, flying off in random direction/flying in crazy circles for a while. So a chaff cloud placed between a turret and your tanks would help your tanks avoid turret missiles.

7. Empty

Empty Member

But that would require tons of missile coding, currently its: Target is at [CHECKCOORDS] turn to face Target, Go forward.

Now obviously this is simplified but making a missile change direction in a fluid and random motion is difficult, I tried it in 2D and it took ages and it still didn't look good. Obviously I'm not coder, but I can'd help but think it would be a lot of code for now gain, just make the missile go for chaff and then bank and go for it again?

8. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

Maybe just turn the missile dumbfire. It still goes where it was pointed, but no longer tracks

9. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

then that would be EMP not chaff

10. RepublicA

RepublicA Member

Honestly I'd rather see an ECM pod idea rather than chaff/smoke/whatever. ECM could be installed and either screw up a certain percentage of missiles or just downgrade so that lv3 turret missles behave at a lower level and homers don't lock etc.

I guess that is a suggestion in and of itself though, but I can see it being a) easier to code and b) a lot easier on the GPU's of the average empires player.