Can't start Empires, registry in use.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sgt.Security, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

[​IMG]

Restart Steam solves, but this is happening everytime when I shutted down Empires and trying to boot again.

2. Empty

Empty Member

Yeah I got this just before while trying to run my oldpires and do some particling (can't use the editor in steampires dunnowhy)

It's weird that it affects both steampires and oldpires. Mine resolved itself without a steam restart though.

3. Neoony

Neoony Member

try deleting clientregistry.blob (This works for almost every issue with steam xD )
    also delete AppUpdateStats.blob

But people say it is happening even after they delete it.
    Also try checking this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2275-UFHC-2473
    If you have any of those running in background.

Also try deleting any cache folders in steam (appcache, depotcache or anything else that you find)
    Or you can try uninstalling and then reinstalling steam but keeping your steamapps folder.

Also try restarting pc. Verifying Source SDKs.

Are you participating in steam beta?
    If yes, turn it off....if not, try turning it on.
    Steam - settings - in beta participation click change - ...
    (I have hopes for this solution)

Those are pretty much basic stuff to fix steam problems...
    But I have found no straight solution to your problem.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  4. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

In there they have a link (programs that interfere with steam)that pretty much say this...
    "Have an anti-virus? Disable/Remove. Have a firewall? Disable/Remove. Have something that competes with our voice/chat service? Disable/Remove."

Cuz its always a good idea to disable your AV/firewall for 3+ hours at a time right?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Yeah, ViroMan really does have a point here. So many times this is given as a lazy solution to problems, when it's really only the cause of it 1 in 100 times at best.

6. Neoony

Neoony Member

the AV is pretty much only usefull when downloading or installing something...
    But the point is that if you try that and get it working, you will know where is your problem

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

its a simple divide and conquer troubleshooting approach, its the users fault if they see it as solution (though ofc a short line remembering them wouldnt hurt anyone either)

8. Neoony

Neoony Member

But I have to say I had many problems that were caused by AV or FW but solution isnt disabling them. Solution is adding things to exceptions, because if you for example disable FW it will not disable all the rules that you have set. It will only disable notifications and stuff like that (atleast in comodo AV/FW)

9. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

The thing is, your Antiirus may hold exclusive use of some files when real time scanning is on and you have shit in your quarantine. Even files that seem unrelated to the shit in the quarantine.

Just like when you want to use your webcam and the useless software that comes with the driver holds exclusive use of it and fucks shit up for the other software that want's to access the webcam via the driver.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  10. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

It resolved itself, somehow.
    I didn't do anything.

11. Neoony

Neoony Member

my guess is, that some steam update made this issue for some users

glad to hear :)