Can't start Empires, EmpiresLauncher.exe stopped working, MountAppFilesystem() failed

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jephir, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Neoony

Neoony Member

Finally, I thought i was muted or what xD

And i thought that need to have Source sdk base 2007 is obvious
    And deleting source*.gcf shouldnt have been necessary (just running the sdk)...but nvm

Try maybe deleting map/s and downloading it from viper.

Did you copyed anything else into youraccount\Empires folder other than the folder from common???
    As i see something like that here?

I did not needed to do anything like that or copying client.dll...and i had all the new maps
    And as you said no hl2.exe needed in empires folder.

Maybe thats why you have different maps.
    And if you did that, copy folder from common into youraccount\empires again or do everything again but only copy the folder from common and do nothing else to youraccount\empires.
    Or even simplier do what is in the first post and nothing else.

And Viper should be updated...played on it

My crossroads is same size but dated:
    Created: 23. ‎december ‎2012, ‏‎1:53:16
    Modified: ‎23. ‎december ‎2012, ‏‎1:11:40

thats pretty much the time i updated the game..so dont go by the date

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  2. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

No it wasnt, you asked for a copy of the empires directory excluding empires/empires and this is what I had, I did say I didnt think it would make a difference but wasnt sure from your posts entirely what you meant

I dont think thatll work. Its been a long time since I've set up the server, but from what I remember, if you need to download a map which isnt on the fast download server (both Epic and Viper uses one) then youll just get dropped from the server. For servers with no fast download server it may still not work (depends on what the max download size is set to by the server owner, by default its not terribly big though)

3. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

FFS guys. Give the Steam Content servers worldwide some time to replicate their state of empires and leave it alone some more hours if it does weird stuff. Maybe try a different download region, Germany - Frankfurt is quite powerful and should give good speeds for all EuroFags. I got a working new Version the Minute Jephir had set it live. No weird problems at all (well not realy, but I had a working game in the end without touching the file structure)

4. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

There is a far simpler way to fix this missing executable error. If people with the problem copy the source sdk base 2007 folder from someone that has a working copy of empires, this will fix the problem. (Located in steam/steamapps/YOUR USERNAME/

I tested this with my brothers install which was giving this error and it solved the problem, after copying the folder he was able to launch and join a game fine.

EDIT: This didnt work for trickster--That means this is 1-1. (Score for working against not working)

5. w00kie

6. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Im not sure if it is something that should be posted on an open forum, may be classed as copyright infringement wookie, will see what jephir/trickster say as they know more about it than I do.

If someone with the problem simply copies wookies hl2.exe file into the correct folder on their install can they let us know if it works? (If it doesnt then copy the whole folder across as I have already mentioned)

7. w00kie

That's the reason I said people should get it from an up-to-date content server :headshot:

8. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Strangely, I'm kinda cool with not getting to play empires. I'd rather see the devs try to improve the game and fail from time to time than never try to improve the game. I appreciate the effort.

9. Silk

Silk Mapper

He is right you know

10. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Wealthy I tried both the files you provided and without and I still get the class table issue. I am able to run with only the Empires\Empires after I figured out what happened. Documented here:
    http://forums.empiresmod.com/showpost.php?p=425565&postcount=20

Obviously the supporting files have moved over to Source 2007 SDK folder which explains why the files I received from you didn't have many of the folders.

Now I just need to figure out why the Server Class Tables do not match mine. Can you explain what files are the "Class Tables" and can we compare yours vs mine ?

I do think this is the same issue for a few of us.

Vinnie

11. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

We have published a new update that should solve this problem. This is a very large patch since it will install source sdk base to your empires folder. Restart your Steam client if you are not receiving the update.

12. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

OK - this does show that the Source SDK base 2007 now contains all of the supporting files. Can you list what is in your Empires folder ?

From cmd prompt:
    dir /s "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\justgofly\Empires" >Empires.txt

This will dump all the filenames and sizes. Maybe you should do a full dump of
    "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps"

Vinnie

13. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

I'm probably being dumb but isn't this illegal?

14. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

odd issue on verify

My game works after doing verify actually twice, but I also ended up with multiple files that started with copy of * of many of the files. Almost all materials were done with that. Just curious if anyone else that had to do the verify saw this same behavior.

I cleaned the copies out using subversive del command after running an xcopy command to copy them to a safe place just in case.

Chime in if you saw this same issue.

15. Deiform

Deiform Member

I just did verify once and it worked (I only just updated though).

EDIT: Ok so my maps are all out of date and they didn't update, but whatever. Yeah I can't join a server at the moment due to maps being incompatible so I'm reinstalling like in first post.

16. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Seems Jephir updated the install instructions in post 1.
    They obviously run now from the common folder. No need to move to Empires folder.
    No need to run from BATCH file. Just download and run.
    The Source SDK files are merged into the empires folder. No need to download source sdk.
    When I connect to a game I can see they are updating files in the COMMON/Empires folder - not the username/empires folder.
    BUT I still can not play.
    "You map [maps/emp_money.bsp] differs from the server's".

My EMP_MONEY.BSP is 27,806 KB
    Initial download today was same size.

Also mine does not show 2.4 and it shows the OLD versions initial screen.
    Patch and dump - we're your test bitch's. Don't both testing any of your changes. You have us slobs to do that.

Vinnie

17. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

Well, hooray! Now I can't play again after the update. I mean seriously, it was working yesterday now it isn't again. Pull the bloody thing, figure out what is screwed up, FIX IT, then put it to distribute.

18. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Guys, just calm down and relax for a bit; getting all worked up over this isn't going to achieve anything but anger and bad feelings. Jephir's doing everything he can to fix it, but he's only human. There's only so much time in a day and only so much he can do in that amount of time. This was an entirely new distribution method for the devs to try that they haven't had any experience with before, so there were bound to be some bumps and potholes. There's all sorts of things to do in the meantime, just take a break from Empires for a bit until things get sorted out.

And this goes for everyone. Bitching about things isn't going to help, bitching about other people's bitching isn't going to help either.

19. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Sorry lead developer, we are sorry that we all didn't listen to you throughout your massive amount of input in the development of the mod leading up to this point....

[/sarcasm]

20. Spike

Spike Long Live The King!

same as doc got it working, then i had to redownload, now its broken again. Ive had to download the fucking thing about 3 times just go back to the previous version untill everything is fixed.