Can't start Empires, EmpiresLauncher.exe stopped working, MountAppFilesystem() failed

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jephir, Dec 22, 2012.

1. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Saga continues:

I ran the Verify Integrity as mentioned earlier. It says 9862 files failed to validate and will be reaquired.

Back to downloading.

More when those complete. It is now re-downloading 17740 again. and none of the supporting folders.

I check the maps folder from the downloading and the previously downloaded - they are the same. I have no hopes this will work. More later.

Vinnie

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  2. Neoony

Neoony Member

put -mat_dxlevel 80 in your .bat at the end of first line
    or change the number to what dx you use but above 70

EDIT: oh sorry works different for command line put -dxlevel 80 at the end of line in bat
    or mat_dxlevel 80 in console before you join the game

3. craig.gates

craig.gates Member

maybe because it originally downloaded the files to common not \username

4. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Good point Craig - but the new download is the same as the old and I suspect will remain in Common again. So every time you check integrity it will download again. So DON'T !

Jephir - Do you have a clean system that you can delete empires and download to see the problem ?

Also you OP zip file is still wrong. The original batch will not work unless modified.

It still shows:
    hl2.exe -game ..\empires\empires

and should say:

"..\Empires\hl2.exe" -game ..\empires\empires

This assumes the "Source SDK base 2007" is located in:
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\justgofly\Source SDK base 2007

Vinnie

5. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

The original batch file works for me when used with Moonchild's fix.

6. moonchild

moonchild Member

Alright. maybe you should not move the original files from common to username but copy them so that you have a backup version and don't have to redownload it everytime.

7. craig.gates

craig.gates Member

tried it like this

-mat_dxlevel 90

and like this

hl2.exe -game ..\empires\empires -mat_dxlevel 90

still same

8. Neoony

Neoony Member

EDIT: oh sorry works different for command line put -dxlevel 80 at the end of line in bat
    or mat_dxlevel 80 in console before you join the game

9. Neoony

Neoony Member

no, it doesnt work like that for me (i know i was saying that it does) atleast not with the new version the hl2.exe needs to be executed from Source SDK base 2007 folder

and also if anybody wants to try copying the update over your old empires folder...this doesnt work as it will say that the server uses different class tables

so justgofly do you have it working or not?

Do not use your old empires folder
    only cfgs if you want but i had some little trouble with that...not all settings copyed

10. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

I updated my post to show:

"..\Empires\hl2.exe" -game ..\empires\empires

Which does not require any editing and it will work if you put the file in Empires folder or in the originally recommended folder.

Now empires hangs joining a map then times out or shows I'm using different class tables.

I wish I had a complete backup of the original Steam folder.

Could I get someone to post the supporting files somewhere ? Everything in Empires folder except the Empires\Empires folder ?

Vinnie

11. Neoony

Neoony Member

did you copyed the new updated empires over your old?
    and/or did you deleted gcfs?
    that has been happening for me when i didnt deleted gcfs and kept my old empires folder and just copyed the new updated empires from common over my old empires folder...that shows different class tables

and as there was said (trickster i think) it means outdated dlls

i have nothing else than youraccount\Empires\empires
    there is nothing else than Empires folder in my youraccount\empires

so since you are executing hl2 exe from your empires folder means you copyed update over your old empires folder .... dont do that

and also my empires has 2,90 GB (3 114 384 938 bytes)

and my play-empires.bat is in source sdk base 2007 folder with
    hl2.exe -game ..\empires\empires -noborder -windowed
    this inside
    big E letter doesnt matter

and it is working flawlessly

12. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Craig - you got it. I did NOT delete GCF's from:
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps
    prior to reinstalling.

I'm back on the job.

One other issue - when you run from the CMD line - after exiting the game Steam thinks the game is still running so I have to reboot to shut down steam. What a tangled web. I sure hope this update is worth the hours I'm spending on it.

Vinnie

13. Neoony

Neoony Member

that has been happening for a really long time in empires just ctrl + alt + del and end hl2.exe

14. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Ya - first thing I looked for, but no HL2.exe is in memory. It must be running under a SVCHost.exe process. Time to reboot - again.

I deleted the GCF's and reverified files - no GCF's were added.
    I added the PUG GCF's - still no good.
    So how I get the GCF's ?
    If I were a first time installer how I would I get all the supporting files for Empires ?

Time to find a new favorite game.

Vinnie

15. Neoony

Neoony Member

you dont need any gcfs
    like i said empires folder in youraccount\empires
    Nothing else...
    You do not need any supporting files (the supporting files are used from source base sdk 2007 i believe)....simply only that empires folder from Common folder after u update...
    and dont execute the game from steam after/if you delete the folder from common

What is your problem now? cant execute? different tables?

and thats weird because i have the same problem with the process but i do have hl2.exe there

Simply just do EXACTLY what first post says

16. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

If you were a first time installer.

Have a source game installed (not sure if this is required anymore, but do it anyway)
    Download Source SDK base 2007 AND RUN IT (if you dont run it once it probably wont work)
    Download Empires

???

Profit

Replace ??? with play.

It might even be simpler than that, but with those 3 things you should have everything you need.

If your still having problems tell us what the error messages are.

I will PM you the 'supporting' files you asked for earlier, I dont think they will make a difference though.

Also what GCF's did you delete? Only the empires ones I hope?

17. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

If anyone is still having the different class tables error after following the steps in Jephirs first post could you try the following for me please (let me know if it lets you join a server)

I dont know whos online at the minute having this problem, so please reply ASAP about whether this helps/ doesnt help with the problem your having.

It seems that the GCF's and the actual empires folder are 2 different versions. My empires folder is working fine, but when I copy client.dll from the GCF to the empires folder I cant join a server.

IF you are getting the different class tables error when attempting to join a server (or no error and simply cant join).

Can you check the size of emp_crossroads in your steam/steamapps/your username/empires/empires/maps.

This size should be 73.7MB. If its different than that then this post wont make any difference. (Im using crossroads as it was changed in the update).

If it is 73.7MB then can you go to the empires/empires/bin folder. Check that the size of client.dll is 6.05 MB, if it ISNT that size then create a backup

if it IS NOT 6.05 MB then replace it with this one:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zk3seq

After that then attempt to join a server and post here if it works or not

18. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

I did this completely over again. I followed instructions in initial post exactly. Install put empires in common - I moved it. The contents is Empires\Empires with zero supporting files. NO HL2.EXE or any other folder. The batch obviously doesn't work since it tries to run HL2.exe.

Wealthy - the zip you sent was incomplete. Most of the support folders you sent were empty and no HL2.exe. It was exactly 13,113,127 bytes or as you might say 12.5 MB. I PM''d you all the details on this.

The SDK install from a clean install following the instructions doesn't do anything. Instructions didn't say to delete the "Source*.*" files - I did and ran the the SDK install again - which then started downloaded the Source*.GCF files. It probably didn't work before since the files already existed. It says it's downloading 2.8GB but all those files that have the exact same date and time of the download are 3.87 GB or more exactly 4,158,946,288 bytes - excluding SourceInit.grf (the one friggin file I didn't delete). Please tell me I should do this all over again - this is so fun.

Neeony - Please don't tell me the game only needs the empires\empires folder and no support files. This is not the case. The batch file requires ..\Empires\hl2.exe to run. There are additional folders besides empires\empires and we are instructed to install Source 2007 SDK which has almost 4GB of GCF files.

Last issue are the support files.

I ran the source sdk base 2007. Nice demo - it did nothing to fill in the missing files.

I then copied over my old supporting files, and extracted the files you sent me on top of those old files - hoping to get the right maps. Now that I have my old HL2.exe, lots of other old files and the ones Wealthy sent me. I can run the game. I tried connecting to a game on Viper and it locks up for 10 minutes before I killed it. Second time I let it go 15 minutes and finally it timed out saying I didn't have the right class tables.

Can I get a full copy of all the files in the Empires folder excluding Empires\Empires? I can send you a collaboration link to a folder on my BOX.COM account. It supports upto 25 GB of cloud storage.

The client.dll is 6.05 MB which is what you said it should be.

Thank you for your help !

More tomorrow...

Vinnie

19. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

My emp_crossroads in :
    D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\justgofly\Empires\empires\maps
    is 73.7 MB or exactly 77,346,372 bytes

All of the maps are dated 12/22/2012 between 9:35pm and 942.pm. EMP_VehicleTraining_ob2 is 12/23/2012 at 12:14 am.

Vinnie

20. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

OK - something has revealed itself. All of the supporting files have moved from the Empires folder to the "Source SDK base 2007" folder.

The "Play-empires" batch file which should reside in the "Source SDK base 2007 folder" is NOT WRONG. It should say :

Once you correctly install the Source files hl2.exe is available in that folder.

I removed all from empires folder except empires\empires.

Game runs with the new initial screen.

Joining viper fails with the same error of mismatched maps.

Are guys on Viper running the old game prior to the upgrade ?
    My EMP_Streetsoffire has a bunch of files dated 12/22 9:42 pm - 12/23/2012 12:30am

Seems mine is the latest. Have the servers been updated ?

Vinnie