Can't load bsppack.dll

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Doggeti, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Doggeti

Doggeti Former Developer

I get this error when I try to run buildcubemaps. How can I fix that?

*EDIT* GRRR, i misspelled it. the name is bsppack.dll. Can some moderator fix it?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2008
  2. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I fixed your title. Try playing the SDK base, if that doesn't works, refresh SDK content. If that won't work, delete clientregistry.blob.

3. Doggeti

Doggeti Former Developer

Thank you Solokiller, but it did not help.

4. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Are any cubemaps inside other entities?

5. Doggeti

Doggeti Former Developer

No, there is only one cubemap and it is not touching anything.

6. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Try placing a second cubemap. Does the cubemap have a high resolution set?

7. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

no idea on this myself - but google suggested:
    http://twhl.co.za/forums.php?thread=10535
    someone claiming to have an answer, but someone else saying it doesnt work. maybe worth a shot though.

deleting and replacing the cubemap may help (random things sometimes do) also maybe try pointless exercises like assigning some faces to the cubemap, or unassigning them if you have some already set. Dancing may help too if you're desperate, as long as you get the chanting right.

it may be worth running your compile log though the interlopers website's error checker incase something odd is coming up. I don't suppose your bsp size is huge for some reason?

8. Doggeti

Doggeti Former Developer

Thanks SwampRat, the description on that page was what I tried before I created this thread :P I also have tried to delete and create new cubemaps. I use the "default" parameter for the cubemapsize.

The bsp has 49.6 MB. There are larger maps like streetsoffire. Duststorm also has 50. That shouldn't be the reason.

A new thought of mine was that it might be Vista, so I checked the file rights. Every user on my PC has full rights for bsppack.dll. Also not the problem.

This problem is really deflating. I think I'll post it on the steampowered forum and if I'm lucky Gabe reads my post and knows the solution :D

9. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

Without wanting to muck up your map at all, if you could reduce a lightscale thing (whatever it is on the texture setting that says how neat the shadows are) or something else that changes size a lot you may find it does make some sort of difference - I'm sure someone has mentioned that cubemaps failed them once bsp size was over X MB

Another thing to try is making a very simple test map with just the basic entities you need for empires and a few cube maps.

Sorry if I was insinuating anything bad by posting a google link, I didn't mean to imply you hadn't bothered looking.

10. Doggeti

Doggeti Former Developer

Don't worry SwampRat, I am glad for every suggestion. I made a small map with basic setup and it did compile so I knew that my big map was the problem. So I tried to compile the map without the displacements and then the error did not show up. I figured that the amount of lightmap data produced by it was too much for cubemaps. I increased the lightmap size of the displacement to now 64 and it works now. Thank you for all of your help and ideas.