Cant build custom tanks.

Discussion in 'Support' started by FaintSmile., Aug 23, 2011.

1. FaintSmile.

FaintSmile. Member

Yeah, so basicly i go into the vf hit customize go through the whole process of picking my armor and weapons and right when im about to hit the final step and build the tank, it resets...and yes i am hitting customize and no i am not pressing back or cancel, it just straight resets on the step before the tank gets built. Does anyone else have this problem? i have an older version of empires installed i think its .24d when i tried this on that version everything worked like normal..so im pretty much out of ideas can anyone help?

2. FaintSmile.

FaintSmile. Member

sorry for the double post but thought if i showed pics it could help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hope that helps.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

When you click customise, it puts you into customise mode. You edit it on the screen you're on. You then need to click engines, armours, weapons, and set it all out. When you're ready to bind everything up, hit next.

4. FaintSmile.

FaintSmile. Member

lol..i hit customize. trust me im not that dense. i didnt include a screen shot of me hitting customize cuse whats the point i thought the one with me selecting bio cannon showed that. its like i said, i hit customize, it lets me pick my stuff i pick it, it goes to the driver and wep binds then it just resets to that screen before last. even if i RE hit customize it just keeps going in a circle untill i say screw it and hit next and build a empty tank.

EDIT: maybe i should just make a video of it. im not sure how else to explain it.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  5. Trickster

I've honestly never seen anything like this before. I'd take a video, because I can't see how this is possible

6. FaintSmile.

FaintSmile. Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBSajPNFOkY

alright, there. made a youtube account and all lol. yeahhh see what i mean? it just resets and goes through the whole process over unless i just go ahead and build the blank tank.

7. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

Some questions to the OP:

Are you running the Steam version of empires (not the SVN version, nor the 2.31a or any other weird version that might still work)?

Are you running a Virtual machine or anything else in the background that could fuck up your RAM?

Have you tried it while in a server and on a "custom game" (you host a server for yourself on lan)?

Have you tried turning it of and on again?

Have you tried burning down all your worldly goods and starting from scratch?

Well, seriously I wonder what causes that feature.

EDITH just watched the video and is wondering if you experience that with all armors, weapons and engines.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  8. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Verify game cache is all I can say, the cache file should always be the same across all users. It happens sometimes where something doesn't download and steam doesn't notice it.

9. Trickster

Can you try putting an armour and an engine on too, as well as a couple of weapons? I know it might seem picky but if I can see more of the GUI that might help explain things.

10. FaintSmile.

FaintSmile. Member

yeah im using the steam version of empires.

no virtual machine..

this happens on any server even the ones i host, that video you saw was on one i created. happens everywhere i go.

i have tried burning it all down. by that i mean uninstalling and reinstalling...didnt help.

like i said before, i have a old version .24d. ( despite my name with no posts i have been playing this game for years under different names )when i ran that one i dont get this problem when i try and make a tank. it just happens normally.

@trickstar.

alright..ill make another video. gonna take a while to upload though.

11. FaintSmile.

FaintSmile. Member

12. Trickster

Check to see if anything is posting in the console as you do this. If not then...

First thing I would do is delete your empires folder (not the gcfs). Head to steam/steamapps/faintsmile and delete the empires folder. Then restart steam. Then verify the steam game cache for Empires by clicking on empires, then properties, then go through the tabs to get to "verify game cache". If this doesn't work then I have no idea, maybe just delete the whole thing and start over, because I've never ever seen anything like this.

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

is this only with heavy tanks?

14. Vante

Vante Member

Empires - You thought the community had troll problems.....

15. PatPeter

PatPeter I have no idea what I am talking about

If he doesn't want to have to delete and redownload Empires he can try deleting the presets:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\%STEAMNAME%\empires\empires\scripts\presets

16. Trickster

We fixed it anyway, he just redownloaded all of it, but it wasn't the presets.