Calculators for all classes

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Xyaminou, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Look, the idea behind e-building was that everyone should be able to do a minimal amount of building.
    Now why did they implement it like they did? Code limitations most likely, they didn't have access to it back then.
    I can guarantee if they could have given the calculator to all the classes instead they would have.

2. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

Yes. Code limitations are a thing too...

From a usability perspective? A calculator is a calculator, it should function the same regardless of who is holding it. It keeps the game consistent, "people holding weapon A can do B with it". Like pistols... Different classes can use the same pistol, but they all function the same.

Giving all classes a calculator, then disabling a load of features on a per class basis seems rather confusing?

3. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

That has been discussed, and ideally it would come with some tweaks to the model. Something to differentiate.
    But a new model would be low priority, I think people would adapt just fine.

4. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

The only possibly new thing I'm going to throw in is that the one thing I do like about ebuild is that it lets me keep my weapon out so I can keep shooting and repairing my cover at the same time. This isn't to say it's a good thing though, it's more sensible to be like engy and have to choose between building and shooting, but it's still a very handy feature no one uses because ebuild isn't very well communicated. Even older players don't bother with it, most likely thinking along the lines" that's an engy job" or more likely "I'm not an engineer so I have no calc to build".

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i e-everything all the time. i would really like to get points for it btw.

but yeah. i dont really see why a calculator would automatically mean you get buildables or can repair tanks.
    but itd also be kinda neat if every class would get some gadget with it. what though, no clue.

6. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

There, I edited the OP to better fit what I'm trying to convey for all those nitpickers out there.

7. VulcanStorm

What's the main problem that giving each class a "build tool" would solve? All classes can already build, and repair buildings.

I can understand from a visual perspective? As sparks just appearing after "use"-ing a building is a bit off, and giving them a build tool would look nicer.

But would it be confusing for gameplay?
    "Hey that must be an engineer, he's building a structure with the calculator... Wait he's a gren and just shot my tank?!?"

Or "He's got a calculator, I'm sure he can heal me... Oh... He's a scout, not an engineer..."

For this to work properly, i think a new model would be required to give the engineer something to distinguish from a calculator. And all calculators should be the same across all classes, to keep it consistent for gameplay purposes.

8. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

It solves:
    1. not gaining point from building
    2. infinite building "ammo"
    3. building while shooting

9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Be engy is pretty easy to distinguish. I admit to the nf one looking like scout though. Really though different calc models wouldn't help people at a distance, different class models would though.

I disagree with calc being the same for every class, at least if this is done right and they get different models to show they have slightly different functions. You might not even need a model change, though it's pretty easy to think of ones unique for each class. Maybe some simple texture edits would work? In any case if new models/textures can't be done for whatever reason I would agree that it would work the same across the board, in which case I wouldn't give a calc to every class.

10. Ranger

Ranger Member

Won't it be confusing if all classes have the same cool tool?
    >

TLDR Calculator is not a calculator anymore. it's a device that can be customised with various shit. Healing repairing, repair upgrade, revive. e-building, are all modules that can be added on this shit device. Only certain modules are available to each class

11. VulcanStorm

The NF engineer doesn't have it's own model. It's the same as the scout.

My opinion, is that above all else things should be consistent in games. Having the same weapon for different classes doing different things is a bad idea. It just makes it confusing and frustrating for players, pistols don't change functionality between classes, why should build tools?

@Ranger modules require models. If the model is the same, we would still get confusion?

@Xyaminou i agree that e-building should award points. I also agree that building whilst shooting is not good either. However the infinite "ammo" when building doesn't bother me as much, since e-building is incredibly slow.

12. Ranger

Ranger Member

u modeled two whole fokin tanks m8. u cant edit a calculator?

Edit:Doing what I said would require a whole overhaul which is not what it is requested.

What I was trying to say is that the calculator shouldn't be seen as a weapon. See it as an HEV suit from Half Life (Rememeber the voice telling you that radiation is detected or you're low on health and stuff like tht?)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    Xyaminou likes this.
  13. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

If you like things to be consistent, then you must hate e-building. Either that or you've played with it so much you can't imagine anything different and therefore are stuck due to your lack of imagination or fear of change?

14. VulcanStorm

e-building is consistent across all classes who can do it though, the engineers equipment is his alternative. I admit the "e" not building is a pain, so maybe "e" with an engineer should bring up the calculator when over a valid building target?

It is true though, i may have gotten used to it and so don't notice.

15. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Building is not consistent across all classes...

16. complete_

complete_ lamer

would be nice if i got 2 whole pages of discussion in one day on my suggestion for res output on refs...
    still applies

17. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

1376254830768.gif

18. complete_

complete_ lamer

nah i quoted my post to make it on topic

19. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Yeah, 'cause, you know, e-build is much more intuitive.
    Every day I have to yell at newbies to press e to build, so intuitive, yeah, nothing wrong with it, at all.

20. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

one day...