"Burgle" and your other favorite British inferiorities

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ImSpartacus, Jan 14, 2013.

1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Smart means "neat" or "clean" with respect to Western style. I thought only snobs used the term. I've never heard someone use the term that wasn't a prick. I suppose it might be more common for ukfags.

EDIT It just dawned on me that I relate the use of the term "smart" with the use of the term "trousers," both being snobby. Anyone else have any interpretations of these terms?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  2. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

You've seriously never heard anyone refer to baggy trousers in the U.S? Then again, I might have just read it in some book written in the 1950s, idk.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

It's a fairly common term here. It's not any specific class that uses it. Just like sometimes, a dress code can be "smart-casual", or someone can say "oh you look smart". It's a really common term.

4. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

From what I've seen, it's rare to refer to someone as "smartly-dressed" in the U.S.; people just say well-dressed or something like that.

5. ImSpartacus

Nah, I've always heard "baggy pants" in Midwest 'Murica. I've heard use the term "trousers," but always with respect to very dressy clothing and never with the adjective "baggy." Well, I suppose I've heard someone tell me that a particular pair of dress slacks were too big. Those are "baggy trousers," but that's definitely a negative term. You want trousers that fit properly. Pants? Those can be tight or baggy or w/e.

6. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Aren't baggy trousers those jeans which have the bottom a half mile below your arse so whenever you see someone in them you want to pull em up and stable it on so he never wears 'em that way again?

7. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

8. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

"Pants" is an ambiguous term that refers to pretty much any masculine leg garment. Pants to me usually means an abreviation of underpants.

Trousers is an olderword but it doesn't sound nearly as old as the abbreviation of "pantaloons."

9. ImSpartacus

That's sagging. I don't think there's a name for the kind of garments that are designed to be sagged. Admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about the kind of culture that promotes sagging.

Around here, "pants" is the most common word used to generally describe any leg garment for either gender. e.g. "Bro, put some pants on. I'm having friends over soon." It's unusual to refer to underwear as "pants" unless the target is buck naked. "Pants" is never used to describe any skirt.

Specifically, you're less likely to call a leg garment by "pants" if it's dressy ("slacks" "dress pants"), made of denim ("jeans"), made of khaki ("khakis"), cut off at the knee (male/female) or thigh (female) ("shorts"), cut off at the calf (female) ("capris").

EDIT Omg, the wikipedia article uses TROUSERS!

10. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Baggy trousers really just means baggy pants then? How about if someone refers to "kids who wear baggy trousers"? Like is it calling them thugs or something?

11. ImSpartacus

Anticlockwise,
    Counterclockwise,
    "Widdershins,"

Go.

But seriously though, my phone's swype keyboard recognizes counterclockwise, but not the other two. So British people actually use those terms?