Bullets Hurt Turrets

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Kidpaler, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Alright, here is why I think this should be a thing.

Bullets hurt cameras. Bullets hurt the small engineer radars. Bullets would definitely disable a turret if enough were shot at it.

Why do this? It makes sense. And it might help the problem of Noobs trying to disable a turret by shooting it and getting frustrated that their bullets do nothing.

Edit: I only had this thought after seeing a new person unload a whole thing of LMG into the turret, only for it to shoot him again. I think noobs get the most aggravated about this. We dismiss it as "Oh, just go engie/gren to take it out" but to a new person a turret is an unstoppable killing machine until someone else comes up to take it out.

Not saying have it do much damage, but have it do some. Bullets would definitely ruin the electronics in it after enough. Maybe make level 3's not take damage because of their bullet shields?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  2. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

A Pretty fundamental gameplay change. I worry thoigh what about scout rifle, gonna be real easy to sit there killing turrets and having all small arms besides scout rifle damage is even less intuitive. I guess it also is an indirect nerd to grens and if you went down that path you probably need to buff turret health.

Besides that I'd be concerned you then need to balance turrets against not only grens but everyone else too.

I don't think it takes many people that long to realise their gun isn't hurting that turret, but to be honest I think the best solution is visual feedback when you are doing damage. It's 2017 hit indicators ain't that bad.

3. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

4. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Welp, some hit indication then. Or a clear way to make it known that turrets dont take damage from bullets because right now they look about as weak as a camera, which can be killed by bullets.

5. complete_

complete_ lamer

6. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

First off, I am quoting that thread only to show that we have discussed about this before, it's not about the polling.

Second, you voted no.

Take off your colored glasses.

7. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Why dont we make a poll for.fixed vs unfixed tank destroyer ?

8. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

To elaborate a bit on why didn't I implement this feature, I think someone made a point in that thread : If we are adding an easy but ineffective way to kill a turret, newbs might just settle with it, they probably wouldn't "grow up" and learn to throw 3 seismics at the turret.

If we want to make turret vulnerable to bullets, we probably should make MG turret stronger in some way.

9. Paradox

Ive been thinking about a concept of stronger turrets ( bigger better and if people are next to it even stronger ). Buding turrets havr come down to spamming them. Seems dumb.

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i like to see turrets as something to delay the attacker, not stop them, they serve this purpose.
    as for machineguns damaging turrets, maybe its just me playing this for too long and some sadist vein makes me want others to suffer like i did, but i do not like the idea.
    i also think it would be an indirect buff to riflemen as theyre the only class that has it hard to deal with turrets.

and ultimatively, whats next? small arms should damage tanks, newbies also fire at vehicles (though i would not oppose small arms damaging jeeps). or buildings in general, maybe even the cv? idk man, idk.
    yes you can make a game newbie friendly by eliminating obscure mechanics, but you can also make the obscure mechanics less obscure by visual and accustic hints/aids.

like when was it different?

11. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

I support this. But then you would have to either make them really fast to build or buff them somehow.
    As chain guns and other bullet weapons would hurt them too.

12. flasche

how much damage are we talking about?

13. Paradox

Way back noone really spammed turrets to defend base, its only in recent years because of the decline of the player base that we are starting to mass use them in EVERY single game. Back in the day you didnt need them cause people would kill spawn to def a position or def their main base. Now you need them cause people are stupid and this stupidity works both ways. Stupid people die to turrets and stupid people dont defend bases anymore when asked.

14. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

To be fair, turrets used to cost a bit more, 75 res, and we had really low income, so it was generally better using that on a rax or an armory, or even a apc. Now we just have so much res a commander is basically hurting it's team by not using those resources. I really don't think it has anything to do with people being able to killspawn, because even in pugs, or rather the summer league games where everyone was pretty competent, commanders were still building tons of turrets because they really do act like extra poeple on the field. Shitty players but still make people shoot them instead of something important like the rax.

As for the topic at hand, In that thread security linked I said basically the same thing as flasche, but I think it's going to end up as a buff of sorts to turrets because I generally think it's going to be way slower to destroy a turret with bullets then a gren or engy, so their use in delaying people will be expanded somewhat. That said I also think it helps rifles put some pressure to prevent a turret from being built while they advance on an engy, so it's still useful. Either way I don't really care, this honestly works just fine atm and I don't think this change will be bad or good, just a change.

15. flasche

i recall the term "turretfarm" from my earliest days of empires. sure, low populations make turrets kind of imperative, but that doesnt mean its anything new.

16. Thexa4

Thexa4 Developer Staff Member Moderator

Maybe stunning the turrets after enough hits might be a better solution than destroying them.

17. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

So for anyone just jumping into this, here is a TL;DR of the posts so far and the solutions offered -

Good idea.
    Bad idea.

Solutions -
    1. Make there be some indicator that bullets aren't dealing damage
    2. Make bullets deal some damage to turrets
    3. Make bullets stun the turret for a bit.