Build me a computer!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Fooshi, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Can a shittier HDD affect performance?

Yea, I just noticed. :headshot: (I just read that there are no triple-channel AM3 mobos...what the fuck!?) ((WAIT! I see 4 channels! pic of it))

But I want the Vapor-X oneeeeee :( (Cheap and nice cooling)
    Also, I would have found a cheaper and not-so-overkill mobo, but will a 6-core CPU work on something like that?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  2. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

WTF? According to the logic the reviewer in the link used, even my 425Watts 80+ PSU should never function with a standard C2quad 9550. But it does and it does its job very well. I really don't understand what that numbers in the graphic shall mean, it can't be Watts.

for example http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/25w-performance-pc,2551-6.html.

3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

IMHO don't even think of getting an i5. Predom is right when he says its a dead platform. Its meant for the cheep minded who don't care if they won't be able to upgrade it in the future... In other words... intel is NOT planning on making many more items for it. The i7 on the other had will be around much much longer.

ahh but, wookie you forgot to read the next line.
    The link you provided used an onboard intel gfx chip. Not much power needed there since its crap.
    With a range if 55-303(CPU + MB + Fans + 2SSD's + 2 Corsair 2 GB mem sticks) (then toss in what ever wattage you video card uses) your 425W power supply is probably enough. Don't forget a PS can do more then the rated amount but, it severely lowers the life and is prone to overheating/melting things. What video card do you have?

Anyways... here is another link from TomsHardware about best gaming cpus for your buck. LINKY There are several ranges to click on.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  4. Fooshi

I dumped the Intel idea because of that. + AMD Fusion Utility <3
    I'm still not sure if I'm going to go for a quad-core or a 6-core CPU...

5. ViroMan

Well Muffin... if I were you I would still at least concider an i7 if your going to put a system together for no more then 1k you can still do it.

here would be my choices.

CPU: Intel i7 930 $284
    Mother Board: ASUS P6X58D $289 <--- 3 x PCIe 2.0 x16 + 6×240pin Slots for a total of 24 gb supported. :) only 2 PCI slots :(
    Memory: Corsair Dominator-GT 6GB(3 x 2GB) 8cas $249
    Total Price: $824.97

lol ya its a tad over priced if you want to get a good PS and video card still but, those are the best. You could always go one performance step lower for each of those and then have plenty cash left over. Choosing a motherboard was the hardest tho. I only wanted something with a X58 chipset(newest) but, alot of them seemed to have a high amount of complaints. Not with the chipset but, with the boards themselfs, bad placement of 8V jack, parts overheating, bad placement of the north bridge, PCI slots not correctly aligned to work with most cases, stuff like that.

6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Make a raid, you'll never regret it.

well hard drives are selling pretty cheap here atm so I don't know probably different where you live so you might not be able to fit it into your budget. to go with your awesome computer get some nice high quality headphones, most likely get sennheiser, I don't know about you, but I am picky about the quality of sound, and can't stand shitty sound. Or if you wanna go really awesome get a 7.1 surround sound system JUST for your computer.

7. ViroMan

For sound get yourself an Inspire 5.1 Digital 5700 its old but, really there STILL isn't anything better then that.

It has great speakers and a killer sub. It has a decoder unit that has multi source input(optical, coaxial, digital, analog line in[2front 2 back] ), you can even have TWO different sources on at the same time. Multiple modes (movie, music, surround 5.1, stereo), decodes (Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic, DTS). Ya thats old stuff but, if your sound card/software understands the stuff it auto decodes it before it reaches the unit anyways. I never use it because my old audigy2 decodes it on the fly. Comes with a remote too. :)
    The reasons I most love it are:
    1) Great sound
    2) Multi input on at same time (I have two computers on at same time some times but, only one monitor so second one will sound when it wants my attention KVM baby)

You wont find it on creatives list anymore, duno why. It was a hot seller all the time. Must have taken it off within the last 2 years.

edit: ohh actualy I guess they took it off since cards do all the processing now plus there cards have multiple inputs/outputs.

edit2: I have looked around and you can't really get a new one anymore. People are asking for it all over the place but, they can't buy a new one, only used.

8. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Uh, no, you don't. You use as much power (wattage) or amperage as you draw. If you only need 200W out of a 700W PSU...gee, you only use 200W (give or take some for the PSU's efficiency)

If you need 200W, any PSU that can supply greater than 200W will draw the same amount of power at the AC wall outlet, assuming they're all 80% efficient.

Thus, future proof yourself, get a 700W continuous power supply with a single 12V rail. Avoid any and all designs with multiple 12V rails.

9. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

That's...dual channel?

10. ViroMan

Well there are up to 6 channel MB's.
    LINKY

11. Fooshi

@Viroman: I highly doubt I'll get a decent graphics card for less than 270$ + I need a powersupply, HD and cabinet, since my current cabinet is a low-profile one.

@Grantrithor
    My old comp had a shitty 5.1 on-board soundcard, that was surprisingly good quality. I probably wont notice anything different unless I get a new headset.

@ramp
    But...what the fuck? How come I see 4 slots for RAM? :eek: MY HEAD IS FULL OF FUCK!
    Someone needs to tell me what "dual-channel" really means. :headshot:

12. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

I don't know nearly as much as I'd like to concerning RAM, but Dual-Channel focuses on slots A(1) and B(1), and A(2) and B(2). When suitable RAM is put into these slots, they're in the same 'channel'.

Triple-channel RAM has a stick in slots A(1) B(1) and C(1) (provided they're the same pattern as dual-channel), and A(2), B(2), and C(2).

Like I've been saying. Go with a $200 AMD 6-core CPU, OC it to 3.3ghz or so (Which is PERFECTLY possible on stock cooling), do NOT grab a green-series HDD. http://www.wdc.com/en/products/index.asp?cat=3&language=en

Can you point me to whichever e-tailor you're using?

13. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Just don't go Western Digital. Out of all my hard drives, for which I have very, very many, only the western digital ones have broken. And they all broke.

14. Fooshi

Ok, fuck it, I'll just buy 2 x 2GB. Head full of fuck x2.

I'm going for the T0055 or what it was called, and I'll find different HDD. (Gosh...)

I'm using Amentio.no. Use a translator or something if you're unable to navigate.

15. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

see if newegg ships to norway, if you actually do live there.

they have really good stuff that is pretty cheap.

16. Fooshi

Meh. I'd end up paying twice as much due to customs and shit.
    I ordered a sweater + Immersion from the Pendulum store (UK), and ended up paying twice the amount.

Do they have have some sort of newegg in the UK?

Quick edit: I used a "price guide" website where I found a different online store, which had the HD 5770 for about the same price as the 7550 Vapor-X one.
    I started building a comp on there, and saved about 600nok (About 100 bucks).
    I'm going to order the Chieftec W750 powersupply from Amentio, since they only charge 80 nok for shipping :3
    With that done, I saved another 200nok.

What I have so far: (This shit changes every time -.-)
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
    Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
    Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 4GB CL9 (2GB x 2)
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB
    ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 Socket
    Chieftec Super Series 750W
    Some random cheap cabinet

Is THIS decent!?

17. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Don't grab a 'random cheap cabinet'...try to get something good. That one you had before was decent. Cooler master one.

And really I'd wait out on the graphics for a little longer. Fudo is reporting new cards in two weeks, (the 6770's), with the higher-end cards (6800's) out in November. This might drive down prices a bit.

18. Fooshi

19. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Well...nobody's sure what's right. General consensus is that the 6750 is between the HD5830 and HD5850 in performance with the 6770 between HD5850 and HD5870.

But prices should drop..with new cards on the horizon it's not a good idea to make a purchase. Black friday isn't that far either.

20. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

No prices won't drop for at least a while after Fudo comes out. If anything, it is likely that prices will rise in an effort to push the new product.

Also, your build sucks so much balls.