Bugs with the sprint system

Discussion in 'Support' started by PatPeter, Jun 9, 2009.

1. communism

communism poof

If its not broken don't fix it comes to mind

2. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

HIS 2 SUGGESTION:

We can sprint forwards, backwards, & side2side.
    We can NOT sprint while typing.

Thank you.

3. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Afaik it was intended that you can only sprint forward.

Everyone that thinks you dont need speed upgrade as
    gren has not really played that class. The savest spot
    when you fight a tank is "as close as possible".

4. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Grens do need agility more than any other class really, it is right. It's basically because they have to run out into the open, fire apon the vehicle and then retreat, all pretty quickly. That's not to say we should give grens more agility or stamina, this is just to say you shouldn't try to take it away.

Making grens slow is the quickest way for the class to become the least used thing in empires, no joke.

Also, sprint forward, is annoying. I'd like it so that the sprint button doesn't automatically propel you forward, but rather waits for you to move. I don't mind if it's forward only or not, I just don't like using the shift key as turbo particularly. I've never learned to just use the shift key, I always press down forward too, seeing as that's how it is in most other fps's.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  5. PatPeter

PatPeter I have no idea what I am talking about

Agreed.

6. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

I don't like the idea of tank-chasing grens which can outrun other infantry.
    If at all, slightly speed up the other classes.
    Or make jeeps free.

I've done this once with some aliases (but kept using the single key sprint...):
    Code:
    // replace w with your forward key:
    alias +xspeed_nomove "bind w +xfwdrun"
    alias -xspeed_nomove "bind w +xfwdwalk"
    alias +xspeed_moving "+speed;bind w +xfwdrun"
    alias -xspeed_moving "-speed;bind w +xfwdwalk"

// replace shift with your sprint key:
    alias +xfwdwalk "+forward;bind shift +xspeed_moving"
    alias -xfwdwalk "-forward;bind shift +xspeed_nomove"
    alias +xfwdrun "+speed;+forward;bind shift +xspeed_moving"
    alias -xfwdrun "-speed;-forward;bind shift +xspeed_nomove"

bind alt +xspeed_nomove
    bind w +xfwdwalk
    You may need to change the bindings in emp_config.cfg as well to keep them after using vehicles.

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i would like sprinting to:

-work in all 4 directions
    -drain stamina slower
    -not use up stamina when you do not move

8. PatPeter

Thanks for the bindings, I will have to look into them.

Ever try sprinting when you come out of prone? It does not speed up anything, another bug.

Things I want:

-work in all 4 directions
    -does not automatically push you forward (a result of the previous tick being patched) so that when you have SHIFT held down and you press Y, it does not push you off a turret you go to decon.

9. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

<filler>

Why do you need to sprint sideways? As a suggestion, I'd have to say no. Generally, you have to face the direction you are running all out in to move that direction. That whole leaning forwards thing doesn't work so well doing it sideways for some reason.

And saying that it pushes you forwards isn't really accurate. If you hit the spring key, you will sprint immediately. personally, I like having it so that you can only sprint in 1 direction.

This game isn't realistic, but it has it's spurts of common sense that, from a physical standpoint, make sense. It also has it's points that, from an RTS stand point, make sense. Being able to back peddle or do a grape vine run (dunno the actual name, but that's what we called it in PE) sideways as fast as you can sprint just doesn't make a damn bit of sense to me. Then again, grenadiers are a tad light on their feet for carrying 20~ different kind of warheads and a multipurpose explosive ejector.

Alright, i'ma done.

PS, Duck! (inside joke ^_^)

10. PatPeter

Wow that is annoying, I went to quote your message and it took out my quote with your colored text in it, I had to copypasta it back in, add quote tags, designate the quote as mine, get the ID of my post, and color your text, lol.

Anyway, I will reply in order of statements in your post.

A lot of people can go from a croutched or proned stance into action, runners do it all the time:

[​IMG]

Not the best photo, but you get the picture (lol pun). I think that if I was in combat proning, and I needed to get up less die, I could find a way to gtfo the ground.

I was simply mirroring blizzerd's post:

To me, "I would like" and "I want" hold no difference, thus we must have a difference in dialects.

Lol @ <filler>, unnecessary with the other content.

I will quote a previous message of mine to reply to your next two paragraphs:

You should not sprint when you hit the "sprint" key, that opens a whole mess of bugs that we have explained. It needs to be a combination key, a key that, when pressed with another key, activates its affect.

Sprinting left/right should be slower than forward, but it is possible. If someone throws a nade at you you cannot turn to the right and run away, by that time it has blown up, you should be able to sprint to the side to avoid it, as any soldier would do, in-game or IRL.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  11. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Seriously, you need to consider putting on 50-90 pounds of gear and then trying to do the things you mentioned above.

Having a soldier with hundreds of rounds of ammunition and body armor and all that running round as if he was as light and nimble as your sprinters is unlikely.

That being said, in general, yes, if you had to, you could probably hull ass away from a grenade or a bad position regardless of that weight. But you will probably turn in that direction before hulling ass in that direction. Lets not mistake the direction your HEAD is facing with the direction that your BODY is running. Who the fuck would run side ways away from a grenade?

12. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

nanites and steroids.

13. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

class speeds ain't broke, don't fix it.
    RPG is a pee shooter and thus broke, fix it.
    Silly sprint bugs like this are also broke, fix it.

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

running around you can still look all directions

well i can, i can even run strafing

i even think moving the mouse is supposed to mean moving the head/torso

or does your body tilt up and down when you move the mouse up and down in a game?

15. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Say you are right handed. you hold your gun to your right shoulder.

While moving, this gives you the ability to shoot forwards and to the left.

This would be completely realistic gun control. Unfortunately, the source engine does not allow for separate controls for your hips and shoulders/torso. that being said, you have to go where your hips are telling you to go.

I dunno.

The way the weapons are positioned, straff sprinting just feels weird to me.

16. PatPeter

Well what is strafing? In theory, what does the character do while strafing? Does he turn to the right or left still looking forward and run in those directions, or does he sidestep? If the previous, then sprinting while strafing works perfectly, because it makes sense and you can do it in every other Source game with the "sprint" function.

And as far as the weight goes, adrenaline makes up for a lot of that. If I had a grenade in front of me I would be out of there in a second.

That too.

That goes along the lines of what I was describing.

Oh I get what you mean, because your weapons always face forward it is your guy sidestepping, right.

I also hate when you have an enemy to your right and that stops you from killing him, rare occasion but it happens.

The Source engine has always failed at realism, it is just an amazingly malleable, moddable, and flexible engine which makes it popular (Source engine is my favorite hands down).