Bugs with the sprint system

Discussion in 'Support' started by PatPeter, Jun 9, 2009.

1. PatPeter

PatPeter I have no idea what I am talking about

We all remember how sprinting works with Half-Life 2 right? Well, for some reason the sprinting system in Empires "leaks" compared to Half-Life 2. For example, if you hold down SHIFT and press Y, you will notice that while typing you will run. A minor bug? A real example for you. I am on a turret right? Deconstructing it as an engineer, and I have to type something to my team. Now I have always used correct punctuation, spelling, etc. on the internets (lawl), so I capitalize the first letter of every sentence. Upon capitalizing the first letter of my sentence, I found myself propelled forward, behind the turret (with 10 health) and I died, which brings me to the next "bug".

You can only sprint forward, now you might have done this on purpose, but I have never read anything about it on the forums, so I mention it anyway. Putting it in perspective, someone could run to the left, right, or backward, just backward should go slower than forward, and left/right about the same as forward, maybe a little slower.

2. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

i like the run = forward thingy.

as for the leaking: its a double edged sword.

3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i dont like the sprinting system, its far too quickly drained too imo

4. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

It needs to be drained base on classes.

Gren=Fastest Drain (He carries a RL, Mortar, 15 shells, and 10 or so rockets. He deserves a break.)
    Rifle=Second-Fastest
    Engi=Third-Fasted
    Scout=Slowest drain.

5. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Grenadier is the class that needs agility the most

6. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

How do you play gren when you need agility the most?
    Rocket jumping?

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

gren doesn't need the agility

i agree if i go gren i take speed upgrade but this is just because you can dominate light tanks with it who try to drive you over,

generally an agile grenadier is not the grenadier i would wish in empiresmod

8. communism

communism poof

Yeah lets nerf grens some more

9. zenarion

zenarion Member

Disagree. A Gren needs a better anti-tank weapon, no bunny-hopping shit.
    The idea is not be some kind of jumping moron with a rocket launcher, but rather a simple, but hard-hitting soldier. I see what you mean, and how this works in-game, but disagree totally with the approach to the problem.

Yes please fix the sprint bugs.

10. communism

communism poof

Even with a better rpg the gren will still need agility. If you see a tank rushing your way, you sprint for cover and attack from there. Making him a sitting duck in the middle of a field won't work

11. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

with out speed grens are food for litterally every class and tank. Speed is almost more important then the RPG and Mowtar combined.

In basket ball there is this thing call a cross over.. It fools the defender and makes them think your going one way and then you burst with speed the other way. Grens do alot of ankle breaking cross overs and its a big part of strats to dodge shells or bullets or tanks.

12. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Never had a dodge fight with a tank? Shit fun as gren :D

Until they get high explosive.

13. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

i believe that if you can sprint backwards and sideways, 'speed upgrade' would be less important because everyone would just go for stamina upgrade
    but i do think that the fact that you waste stamina when sprinting into a wall needs to be fixed

14. PatPeter

First of all, half a bug, half a suggestion, sprinting in different directions: suggestion. Sprinting with chat popup open: bug.

Second, yes it is a bug, the chat box is not one of Empires' custom popups, it is a hardcoded part of the Source engine for multiplayer games. Play Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, which has the original sprint system, if you press Y while holding down shift, you will stop running, in Empires you do not.

So yes, it is a bug.

*clap clap clap*

Searches expire, the reason why they have ids, that link does nothing.

I explained the details of this thread in my previous quote, if you want to talk about other threads, talk about them inside of themselves.

So I should add all of the Empires players EVER to my friends list and ask them all their opinion on the barracks? Don't forums suit that agenda?

If you use the search function so well, since you posted the link so well, why don't you link three threads identical or very similar to this one? Or three similar to the barracks?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  15. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Make it so grens detonate when run over? Would greatly increase the Empires lulz factor.

16. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Grens would just prone in the enemy vf lol

17. communism

communism poof

Squad revive 4 grens next to the enemy cv then allah akbar that hoe

18. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Alright, I'ma done.

well, no I'm not.

HL2 death match, the sprint function is only active while you are moving forwards. This is completely different than empires. Also, HL2: DM and Empires are not on the same engine. DM is on Source, and Empires is on the orange box engine.

So, go ahead and suggest that the sprint function be changed to only increase the speed of existing movements instead of propelling you forwards. Its just as much a bug as typing +attack in console so you don't have to let go of your calculator button.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  19. PatPeter

Incorrect, just to humor your response, I opened Half-Life 2: Deathmatch and have it minimized at this moment in time.

Going in any direction and pressing SHIFT makes your character go faster in that direction.

Also incorrect, H-L2:DM runs on the Legacy engine, while Empires runs on the Orange Box engine, they both run on the Source engine.

I still do not understand why you keep referencing +attack, because this has nothing to do with keystrokes. The sprint function should:

A) Propel the speed of the character by identifying which direction the user currently walks in, the sprint function should not automatically make the user move forward, but only activate if W-A-S-or-D are pressed.
    and
    B) Not activate by pressing SHIFT in chat, this will automatically fix when A fixes, play HL2:DM, start sprinting, and press y holding down SHIFT+W/A/S/D, it will stop when you stop holding down both buttons.

20. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

And let the lulz ensue :)