Buff E-build

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Deadpool, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

E build needs to be buffed.

1) Empire's is not the game it used to be, for pub play no one goes engi, in order to facilitate the vital commander role, buff ebuild

2) it's been to slow for a while, buff engi build too while you're at it

3) currently building times kill a lotta ppls fun, and they are the ppl who keep empires alive

2. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Separate building and repair speed, so building is faster but you can't stay in the barrack and keep it even more repaired (if you buff build speed).

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

you really should distribute the boring tasks - it cannot be that you are completely excused by class choice ...

... also be consequent, let all classes e-repair buildings aswell.

ofc this will need some time. you cannot run a single playtest with upped ebuild speeds and then assume it wont work. ofc it wont work out of the box, whole tactics will need to be redeveloped and adapted.

also, its called _repair_ upgrade anyway ...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  4. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I agree on buffing E build somehow, but then something reactionary should happen with the engineer repair cause if ebuild gets a buff engineers without rep upgrade seem so, idk useless.

Unlimited charge would be cool, and use the charge numbers for placing turrets and reviving etc something like that, dont have a real specific idea yet

5. Reznov

Reznov Member

We should finally get points for e-building aswell. I mean FFS I remember so many times where I had to e-build a fcking rax myself as a rifleman and I didn't get any kind of gratitude.

6. LordDz_2

Give every class a engineer tool, with the engineer tool being faster?
    That way people can't hold E and defend themselves at the same time + it looks better?

7. flasche

if its that easy, this should be done. if not simply lock fire while ebuilding ...

also what paradox said. ofc once everyone can build/repair the calculator shouldnt use juice anymore.
    and the engi wont turn useless - it will remain as medic and "controller" class, which can direct the battle with walls and resupplies.
    also it will always be the best infantry-squadlead ...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  8. LordDz_2

It's really easy to add new weapons, there's tutorials for it everywhere, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I don't know how the code looks for when people spawn, but it shouldn't be that hard to do.

Then all we would need is either a new model, or a reskinned Engineer tool.

9. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Points for e-building yes. But no buffs. We tried buffing it before, suddenly, squad of 5 Riflemen/Grens pushing a a chokepoint, no need for engys. And besides, people need any encouragement they can get to go engineer, the support of engineer is what makes Empires fun.

10. OuNin

OuNin Member

when a building is unbuilt, any damage it takes should cap the extent it could be built up with e-build

like some fighting game shit

11. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

People dont play engineers because they dont get as many kills but a single good engi that places walls and ammo boxes can decide a chokepoint conflict even if its a 20v20 fight.

Its the super powerfull support class and like in most mmorpgs people dont play it and most never grasp how powerfull it is. Or with the words of one of the WoW devs "people like to own stuff they usually dont like to play something that makes other people own more".

If everyone gets a better e-build i would suggest to give everyone the engy tool or lower the weapon while doing it because e-build is very powerfull if you are in a position where you can attack enemys at the same time.

12. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Make engineer calc = current repair upgrade power.

Change repair upgrade to "Efficient Cells"
    -Gives Engineer an additional 30 charge.

13. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

still not enough to make rep upgrade efficient + normal calc to rep upgrade would be op since you could upgrade a lv3 in no time.

just make rep upgrade have unlimited charge, the 100 charge on screen should be for revives only etc

14. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

Fair enough, but something needs to happen because sometimes you will just have those fighting classes, and pretty much no engineers, and the game ends after the initial push when your team dies leaving a string of yellow buildings in its wake.

stuff I like in this thread:

-separate build and repair
    -calc juice only used for dropping stuff (maybe also used for building those things, to slow down turrets getting upgraded) and revives
    -repair buffed and repair upgrade replaced with more calc juice total (upg cells idea)
    -calcs for all, maybe mini calcs (calculator nanos) and engi calc being the big version

15. Michael

Michael Member

This may look wierd at first look;

Engineer Tool: -Remove build ability. Increase its repair speed to the "repair upgrade" rate.
    Engineer skill: -Remove repair upgrade.
    E-Build: Make each and every class, including the engineer to have e-build, with a rate of the original engy tool without rep upgrade, ALSO whenever your push e-building, it will disable primary and secondary attack, until you release e-building button.
    Commander bonus: When the CV is around (aura?) E-build increases to the old rep upgrade rate.

Building up stuff is one thing, but keeping them up is still engineer based... (plus heal, rev, ammo etc.)

16. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I like michaels thinking on this.

17. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I suggested this about a year or two ago, minus the CV part. Though I think the arguments against still work so the values need to be tweaked or something... Still get the feeling that e-build is pretty slow, perhaps it should be based on a percentage rather than a build value. I mean... we don't need turret building faster, but big buildings? Yes, a little.

18. flasche

i think youll need to be consistent. if you remove the requirement for engineers when building, you should also remove the requirement for repairing buildings (e-repair) or youll end up with all bases having to rebuilt after each attack.

the whole reason behind this is that building is a boring task - repairing is even worse. you know that there are attackers outside your racks, but the game mechanics force you to stay inside and stare at a wall. bullshit i tell you ...

youll just need to limit the amount of people being able to repair a single building or youll end up with a whole team clusterfucking inside this one rax you just attack ...

19. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Again, we tried all this E-build repair shit. It just didn't work. Seriously, I'm open to other suggestions, but distributing building more across the classes and making engineer the only repairer, just didn't work. It's not a case of theory here, we physically tried this. It was horrible.

20. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

It didn't work because you removed the need for an engineer and a squad of riflemen could mass build a rax, quickly. However, if you tried something like, ebuild in isolation (i.e. just 1 e-builder) has a buffed amount (we're talking slightly here - perhaps a bit slower than engy default), but ebuilders working together doesn't add as much, it may work, but perhaps be counter-intuitive.

Not very easy to explain like that so i'll do this:

1 E-builder = 80% Normal engy build speed.
    2 E-builders = Default (current) ebuildx2
    3 E-builders = Default (current) ebuildx3

Engy build = Not Affected.
    E-builder + Engy = Not Affected.

Now, it is counter-teamwork, but let's face it, the time you really need ebuilding is when other people aren't around and are neglecting to build. People do e-build together but it doesn't happen very often and it usually feels like you need 3 of them to get default engy speed.

Hmm...it's not the best idea in the world, but it's all i've got for now.

Alternatively, you could get a build pack as a selectable item - where you get like a disposable tool that has a finite number of uses and is slower than engy build... I was going to say "instead of a grenade" but it might be better if you had to pay either wages (like 50 res) or perhaps take a 1-point rank point hit per pack, where each pack will give you 2 points for building.

Tssk... still think there are lots of things we could do with the amount of currencies we now have in the game, but the problem always seems to be coding and how hard it is to implement.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012