BroTeam twitch joined last night - nubtastic

Discussion in 'General' started by JustGoFly, Jan 18, 2017.

1. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

Do you have any experience with unity? From what I've read, ue4 is very fps oriented.

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I don't see how ue4 being fps oriented is bad for empires, it's that kinda game.

3. Neoony

Neoony Member

BTW
    I knew new players have hard time with the game, but I never thought its as bad as on this video xD

But, I really wonder whats that lag/stuttering and the viewmodel weapon animation just skipping frames all about.
    This guy experienced some of the glitches I never even had, lol.

But that lag...probably the worst, made the game and his first impressions look really awful.
    Not to mention all those people in chat/watching him play.
    I bet most of them thought "why are you even playing this"....atleast until that game where he commanded first...that one was quite allright experience, even awesome at times.
    I mean thats when he first mentioned "this game is pretty good"

And even Iam currently experiencing some weird stuttering when looking at others. But its like 10% of what he had.
    Not sure whats the cause for me. I will probably try clean install without my configs to see if that makes a difference.

Also...
    This makes me wanna say...
    Lock your test servers, lol.
    The first server he joined was just awful first experience xD

Oh and this guy has some persistence, if I was on his place experiencing the same things, I would leave it much sooner, lol.
    So imagine all the new players...

Iam glad he made it to that game where he commanded...
    Starting there, it would be much better first experience for him.

But I mean, they should have joined the server with players in the first place xD
    But I get they were trying to play with their group mainly.

----
    But overall, if most new players go through similar things like this guy on the video and his group. Then empires seriously gotta fix the first impression issues.
    Which is those glitches, and something very simple and short forced on every player. Something that gives general idea of things like "how to become commander/what is cv, how to place engi stuff" and/or general very simple infos, that come to you even without having help "on" and pointing at stuff.
    I still think that a short (very short and simple) video on your first play or server joined showing the basics would be the best.
    How about making it a single play on first start of the game intro of the game?

But I gotta say, watching this vid was very interesting in terms of how new people experience the game (currently).
    This definitely "updated" my views on it.

EDIT:
    oh and this XD
    "Did she really say Turrents?"

I lolled so hard. xD

Or the typical: "Can I take over the turret?" /(How do I become a turrent?) xD
    Makes me wonder, if this feature isnt actually more demanded than aircrafts. :D

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    D.D.D. Destroyer likes this.
  4. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I support this idea!

Also the idea of locking the test servers.

Neoony and vipervicki like this.
  5. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

The thing is... I've never seen an unreal engine game with vehicles... Borderlands 2? i think was the only one? And even then... there weren't exactly many...
    So it'd be ok for the fps part... I don't know how ue4 would handle vehicles, or the comm view for that matter...

6. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Pretty sure Red Orchestra is on the Unreal engine and, while it's vehicles are insanely glitchy, it was done. Hell, they even had massive 32v32 tank battles on some maps but they are broken. And this was on Unreal 3 I think.

7. NekoBaron

NekoBaron Member

I think, the very original RO mod was done on UE2 when you could play it for free, but no vehicles seemed to be in it at that point. Though UT2K4 was using UE2 and supporting vehicles fairly well back then.

8. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Pretty sure RO2 uses Unreal 3, has lots of tanks. I wish this game was a lot more like that/that game was a lot more like this. Would be insanely fun.

9. Neoony

Neoony Member

Thats pretty nice video.
    But I think for this specific thing, it needs to be much more swift and informations should start flowing from the first second pretty much. (no introductions, just 2-3 seconds to say what are you actually watching and then jump straight to the point)
    Just few basics said and shown in like 1-2 minute video.
    I mean edited video, where you explain and show one thing in like 3 sentences and move on to next one in the blink of an eye.
    It also needs to contain pretty much all the basics of the mechanics, like what is CV, what it means to be a commander, what happens when CV dies, why do we need engineers, some quick showdown of buildings function, classes function...things like that.

...Iam quite struggling to find a good example on youtube. Guess this one somewhat shows a good example, but its not exactly what I imagine, but its quite similar and shows it not so bad.
    I mostly mean the pace of it and editing.

But I mean, thats just how I imagine it the best, if used like a short forced video in the game.
    And I just think it would be much more effective than watching it and waiting first minute to introduce yourself and actually start the game. Even though your video would probably show a more detailed process, at a peaceful rate (which Iam not sure is good in this situation)

I mean, you could show joining a team, joining a squad, selecting class, and opt in/vote for commander even in 10-15 seconds and then just move on to the game mechanics.
    Just little editing and a bit faster paced voice and pre prepared organized text.

I would rather link your video in the main menu as a video quick guides and it might definitely be quite perfect for that.
    But yeah, nicely done making short tutorial videos on different things and even linking the others at the end of a video. Thats pretty much exactly how I imagined the other more detailed but still short tutorials where each one has a more or less specific topic. Definitely interesting for those who actually want to watch/read tutorials to get a head start and some tips.
    The only problem is..that even I was never able to reach your tutorials before, so Iam seeing this first time now.

Is this maybe some new youtube account u got? (I see its pretty old, so I guess not)
    Iam pretty sure I subscribed to you before, but I was not subscribed right now. (probably did when you did your kerbal space things)
    Weird.

...anyways...
    I mean, empires needs tutorials like a salt. Such things like your short tut videos should have already be somehow implemented into the game, to be accessible.
    You can definitely simply insert the video to show ingame with the same method as the motd, Iam pretty sure...and even if this doesnt get properly implemented to the game, it could be quite simple to add over server plugins and just make some chat command or so. I mean even thats better than nothing. But then that would be up on Creeper :P

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I can probably slap together a quick tutorial video once I reinstall my video editing program and finish my exams. We'll talk over PMs.

Neoony likes this.
  11. Lightning

Lightning Member

UE4 games with vehicles:
    Squad
    Crackdown 3 (upcoming, XB1)
    Warhammer 40,000: Eternal crusade
    Astroneer

UE RTS games:
    Battlefleet gothic: armada
    Starfall tactics (Upcoming)

Theres also a community i know making a base FPS game, multiplayer vehicles and other modules which will be completely free for UE4.