Blimpz Map

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by DonMegel, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Crappy drawings

If I knew how to map I'd take the project, but I don't, so here are some ideas crudely drawn & written by me, Pardon if you can't read some of my notes, if anything ask.
    NF Ideas
    [​IMG]
    Be & a few map background & time of day ideas.
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully these crude drawings will help get things started.

And anyways what up with this talk of parachutes? Isn't this map straight up aerial combat, where touching the ground equals death? (Somewhat similar to this HL2: DM floating platform map, as far as "death floors" go.)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  2. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

lol how do parachutes ruin atmosphere and joy?

if we got floating bases are we gonna ignore the ground below? if you dont got res to make transportation you need to be able to jump down to get refs..

plus i would like to be able to jump off the roof on SOF.. or lets say on certain maps like cyclopean that have ladders which are easy to use upward but extremely hard to go down.. like when you capture the city and place a rax on top of that building it would be nice to just jump down.. I never spawn there cause i always lose health and waste time trying to climbing down

3. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Because Books A Million kicked us out at 11 PM, and who else is open that late?

4. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Don't you see how stupid that would be dubee? using a parachute to jump off a building just because you can't be arsed to walk down? that would look terrible and feel VERY cartoony.

even in aircraft I am against parachutes. it will remove the player from a feeling of connection with the aircraft, and will certainly make it less exciting to pull of manouvers if just bailing and surviving from any situation is just one button press away.

plus, empires can go a different direction to so many other games and have dropships that actually land and drop of their troops, which is far far more exciting than just jumping out the back whenever you like. there's no risk. you're not really working as a team with your driver you're effectively just clingling on to the back of the ship if you can then let go at your leisure.

5. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

There will be no parashoots.

Is anyone going to get to work on this map?

6. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Poor us. :(

7. Valiant

Valiant Member

I am willing to learn how to map to help make such a map.

8. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

Actually I was thinking somthing like this for the NF bimp.

[​IMG]

9. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Dual Blimps- Me likes :cool:

10. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

"Because 1 is never enough"

11. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

I want to comment on what the front view looks like.

But I won't.

12. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

you know after I drew it I noticed that too. I tired to fix it, it used to look alot worse.

gutter mind,

13. Simon

Simon Banned

What about having a bigger open area between the two like a catamaran?

14. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

That'd give the shelf up top where the airplanes take off and land more room.

Yeah, a bigger shelf is probably a good thing.

15. the_6th_monkey

the_6th_monkey Member

Maybe to add variation, it could be an NF Blimp vs an Brendori Aircraft carrier?

16. J1ZM0

J1ZM0 Member

I did some concept art for a mod a while ago, i've just found it and taken all the logos off (i left the mod team ages ago, also the mod is dead so they shouldn't mind me reusing the art)

BE Carrier
    [​IMG]

NF Blimp Carrier
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  17. Pope_Homeless_XIII

More mumblings, thoughts, & notes...

What I would really like to see on the BE air carrier is multiple entrances/exits for aircraft, two at most, three would be awesome, it will keep things interesting & prevent the entire team from camping that one hanger.

In the case of an Airstrip, alot of open space is usually an advantage, it'll probably spread defenders thin, or group them up in one area, thus allowing the invading party a chance to get in, though if they were noticed then the defending team has the advantage, & could just shoot them in the back as soon as they were in. Now I like Megel's design because the hanger thing in the middle, is in a way an obstacle & an advantage to the landing party, though from above they're practically screwed from bombers.

18. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I like the DonMegel's picture. When people started to talk about how it should be changed, I got the same picture in my head when I was trying to improve it.

When I looked the picture again I realized it was just the same maybe just a bit wider. In my opinion that's just perfect design for the NF's blimp. (Well, maybe change the jet engines to engines which have propellers. Also a few more guns under it would be nice.)

19. arklansman

arklansman Member

A Wing and a Prayer?

20. J1ZM0

J1ZM0 Member

Yeah, I checked the moddb entry its dead, I haven't heard any thing from the mod team for ages. Its a shame really could have been a really good mod