Beware of the Beast

Discussion in 'Dev Blogs' started by DonMegel, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Zeke

Zeke Banned

yet a minigun IS a PLAIN sammich.

its larger wtfpwn brother is called M61-Vulcan... the "minigun" (aka M134) got its name since its pretty much a MINI version of the 20mm type...

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8_Avenger

That is a truely awesome weapon.

People think they created the A-10 and then thought "We need a kickass minigun for it."

No.

They created this, and just thought how badass it could be with wings.

3. Empty

Empty Member

Yeah, they made the worlds best minigun, and strapped a plane onto it.

4. Korpi

Korpi Member

Ok I thought they were missile tubes. :D

5. Zeke

Zeke Banned

its missile tubes on one side, machineguns on the other.

6. Korpi

Korpi Member

Yeah I figured that out. I still think the current WW1 -type model is better.

7. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

GAU-8/A
    SpecificationsCan we PLEASE have this on the aircrafts. With ability to switch ammo so we can shoot either ppl or tanks?

Edit: Lolz the links copied over from wiki too.

8. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

You don't need ammo types, a single shot from that thing will tear you apart. I don't think it's possible for any infantry to survive a round from that thing.

9. Zeke

Zeke Banned

10. Empty

Empty Member

Actually AP rounds have a tendency to go straight through people.
    You won't be happy, but it's much more survivable than a 30cm hole in your chest from a HE round.

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

yes, AP ammunition is slightly less leathal then normal ammo because it creates a fine tube-shaped hole, while normal ammunition just swirls around franticly in the body messing tissue up, hollow point ammo does the same as plain but because the tip forms a dish and breaks up there is much more trauma, HE just blows your limbs off

i learned this because i am working on a research tree that is a bit more realistic and diverse then the current one, and wikipedia told me while i did research, because i know nothing of weapons

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  12. Zeke

Zeke Banned

70 shoots per second... 80% of rounds fired at 1,200 m range hit within a 6.1 m radius... now thats put on our hovercrafts who fight at.... lets say max 100 meter range... probably more like 25-50 meter...
    and its a 3 centimeter wide bullet who most likely will hit from a 45ish degree angle into the person....
    and you guys argue that the person will just "not be happy" becouse its just a _30mm_ armor piercing incindiary bullet...

retardation at its highest peak....

13. Sonecha

Sonecha Member

They really need to make one-man operated 30 mm rifles. 20 mm is just not enough.
    [​IMG]

14. Trickster

I read somewhere you'll die either way, because the vacuum created behind the bullet will rip your innards out anyway.

15. Zeke

Zeke Banned

*applauds*

16. Trickster

Well yeah, the hole at the front might be 30mm, but the hole at the back might be 30cm. Either way, it's going to do a little more than than change your mood to an unhappy one.

17. Demented

Demented Member

A 30mm will turn anything it hits, be that flesh or metal, and turn it into an explosive shockwave that will relocate the contents of your torso into the space behind you. Oh, and since it's a 30mm bullet, it'll just keep going. The same applies to a 12.7mm bullet on a smaller scale. What it does to your head could be compared to clam chowder in a bread bowl. Mmm!

Something small like a 5.56mm bullet will just shoot through. It relies mostly on bad terminal ballistics in order to do damage; the round will hit sideways and break apart, tearing apart flesh with the resulting fragments. If the shooter is unlucky, it will go in straight and go out straight (or just stop for some tea), missing any vital arteries or organs.

This applies to 9mm pistol rounds and smaller. Normal pistol ammunition surfs (think of surf_ maps in CS) through the flesh, ricocheting or fragmenting off bones and sometimes puncturing important organs, arteries and veins. Hollow point damage is generally more local; it might even be preferable if you have good aim (though a larger calibre bullet accomplishes the same).

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

thank you for your corrections

19. Empty

Empty Member

a 30mm hole is pretty tiny, it's an inch.
    A HE round takes half your body, sure a 3cm hole isn't very nice at all, but i'd rather get shot and have a 3cm tube than get shot and get splattered everywhere.

Unless it hits something absolutely instantly vital (head, heart) you'll probably live.

I'd forgotten about hydraulic shock though. That will cause some issues.

20. Zeke

Zeke Banned

a 3 cm bullet doesnt make a 3cm exit hole after piercing your body just becouse its armor piercing...!!!!