Beware: Electric Fences

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DrummerX, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Empty

Empty Member

I once accidentally got zapped by mains power.

Don't know what the amps were, but in Australia our power is 240V.

My arm spasmed a fuckton and pulled my hand back real fast, nothing hurt at first, it was just a literal shock, as in 'WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED'. Afterwards the tip of my finger (where I got zapped) started hurting and I noticed I had a small burn, and it had been numb up to that point.

Fucking sucked.

2. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

You really want to ask Chris that kind of question? :p

3. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Amperage isn't the only variable...voltage is, how dry your skin is...where the current travels (does it go anywhere near the heart or brain?)

I got zapped by ~600v at low amperage where the circuit was from my left hand to my right. Jumped a good 10 feet from that, and was shaking for hours afterward...

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

The emphasis is on the 'random crap' element.

As in 'hurr durr elecrocution now lets add some shit and piss jokes and oh yeah he has mind powers and can control electrical stuff, and has random deformities COMEDY GOOOOLDDDD!¬!'

Randomness is not funny, what is funny is very good delivery of random things, ala monty python. Simply reading random shit written in a fairly uninteresting fashion is not funny. You can add just about anything to improve it, pictures (webcomic) or sound (podcast/rant) or both with a familiar setting (machinima/gmod film) and it will be more funny.

I think it's a few milliamps across the heart that is required, you'd need the neccesary voltage to get it that far and the current to have an effect.

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

thats not how it works solokiller, you have to look at electricity as a flow of water,

amperes is the amount of water per time unit (dont know exactly how its calculated)

basically you can stand in a river that is a few kilometers whide and not get flowed away as long as the river can process enough water so the flow does not become too fast

volts is the speed at wich the water flows in our river, if you would have the same amount of water from the previous example (a few kilometres wide) and make it flow trough a river of a meter or so wide, the water would go immensely fast due to the pressure and standing in that river will most likely harm you

then again if only a few liters of water would flow trough the 1 meter river, the same effect would be gained as with the kilometre wide river

the speed the water (or power current, or watt) moves, is dependant of the amount of water (amperes) that flows, and the amount of pressure (volts) it gets due to the width of the river (cable)

high speed trough thin cable often means fires, because the thinner the cable the more it heats up when under a lot of wattage

i hope i explained it well (not my field of expertise) but it all boils down to the lethality of a current running trough your body depends both on volt and amperes, both multiplied with each other have to be high enough to kill you (without considering other factors as the conductivity of your body, and how it changes from time to time)

6. arklansman

arklansman Member

Getting shocked by an electric fence is about the equivalent of licking a 9V battery. (probably not even that bad since it's not on your tongue :p)

7. Cloud

Cloud Member

When i was a little kid i touched an electric fence surrounding some cattle, felt like a hammer hit my biceps, nothing more.
    I've also stuck my finger into a power outlet out of curiosity. And stuck my hands on hot plates several times, i seem to forget that it hurts.

8. Empty

Empty Member

In electronics we found a big (not quite a car battery) battery. 24v, can't remember amps (high).

We put a few pieces of tin and solder across the terminals and welded t hem together, there were 2 tiny white glowing spots where the terminals were.

9. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

This is a terrible, inaccurate example. I'm not even sure where to start. You seem to believe that "current" is a function of both amperage and voltage, whereas in truth, "current" can be defined by amperage alone (they are technically synonyms.) Anyway, suffice it to say that if anyone interacts with electricity with this model in mind they're going to kill themselves very quickly. The only accurate measure for determining lethality is amperage.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  10. Empty

Empty Member

Actually if you have incredibly high amperage and low voltage, it's highly unlikely you can even get shocked. But if you do you're fucked.

11. Cloud

Cloud Member

Someplaces they put thick wires on the edges of roofs with about 10k volts and barely any amperage. Ish meant to scare birdies off.

Amperage is Coloumb/s

12. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

The diameter of the wire that the electricity flows through would be the width of the river, the height difference from start to end dictated by voltage, and the depth would logically be amperes. Stuff in the river would be the resitance of the wire.
    We were always told that 1 ampere is enough to kill you, but the other factors, i.e. wire diameter, voltage, wire resistance, your body's conductivity, your clothing, the surface that you stand on, and so on all make a difference. That's why we had to wear shoes with rubber soles when working on real electrical equipment.

13. Cloud

Cloud Member

7 milliamps (0.007) is enough to 'paralyze' you for as long as you're shocked, you could suffocate if you're unable to get free.
    But yeah, 1 amp is pretty much an instakill if it can go through your heart.

14. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I should ask one of my old classmates to ask their teacher to see exactly what it was again that he explained to us.

15. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Aren't height difference and depth significantly related and almost (but not quite) the same thing?

Otherwise, I love the analogy... We used to spot weld things for shits and giggles back in my electronics class by wiring together a shit load of capacitors.

16. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

a scottish mate of mine tried to get a burnt piece of toast out of a plugged in toaster with a metal fork. He says he flew about 6 feet, but it was more like 2. he is small though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i want to hear some more awesome stories!

17. Sherbie

Sherbie Member

Dude prolly nearly got Darwin'd. :|

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Actually I do that often, I just suck at it less.

19. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

A guy I know told me he ended up in hospital after his friend pissed on an electrical fence. The guy flew through the air and my buddy ended up in hospital because he tore a muscle in his stomach from laughing so much.

Karma.

Electricity is fun. When I was taking an electrical course we used to wire up lightbulbs and shit to learn. At the start we would always flip the breaker off before we started wiring. One day though, some fucker had deliberatly bypassed the breaker with some jumper wire. Why? Who the fuck knows? I can only think they were actually trying to hurt the next person that came to use that workstation. Lucky, I opened the breaker cover and saw before I touched anything. I was pure luck I opened the cover, I don't think I had any reason to check it, I just did. sixth sense I guess.

Here in North America homes only work at sissy 115Volts. Not as scary as the standard 240V back home in the UK, but could still kill in the right conditions.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  20. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

stopped reading