BETA - Slaughtered Overhaul

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Varbles, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Who say's it's infantry only area? It goes right over where tanks will be going back and forth, it wouldn't be hard for vehicles to shoot at infantry trying to cross. I'd imagine the bridges not concrete bridges but rope and wood bridges, things you don't want to get caught out on. Would be cool if bridges swayed a bit in the wind, but hammer probably doesn't like that at all.

I suppose infantry could line the bridge lobbing sticky grenades, mines and shooting rpgs at incoming tanks too, which might be nice. Or simply drop down and go into tunnels or right into the east part.

I mean I'd really like the first suggestion I made because it puts the flow control of vehicles directly into the player's hands, and I think that's a good and rather unique thing about slaughtered and one thing I wouldn't really want to lose.

What varbles has done already is a good map, I won't disagree about that and if he were to keep that original layout then yes more trees and craters and what not would be a great addition to it. I just want more of a slaughtered feel ya know?

2. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

updated first post, beta is ready

3. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I still say that it should have a different name, but aside from that it's most welcome, the level of your maps is always so high!

Would you like a set of custom briefings? The old ones don't fit too well, at least not BE's.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

worth every bit, it looks fantastic already :D

5. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Hope we don't keep seeing BE dominate on this map - looks like there are changes to try and fix that.

6. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

OMG, I was amazed, this map is gorgeous. Haven't said that about an empires map in a long while. Great Job! This feels like you are in a real environment.

7. TheCreeper

TheCreeper Member

Map looks fantastic.

8. complete_

complete_ lamer

i havent played it. it obviously looks nicer than slaughtered, but how does it play with lower playercounts? a lesson i learned with eastborough was that having more points of interest made smaller games more or less impossible, as the games ends up in a ring-around-the-rosy situation with everyone just moving in a circle.
    im inclined to agree with ddd as i would probably like to play the original slaughtered in lower playercount situations, and the name could confuse some

9. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Stated this a few times in the server.

The map is fun but it isn't slaughtered. If you want to make it official that's fine. If you want to remove slaughtered as an official map, that's also fine. But this is not emp_slaughtered. The gameplay has fundamentally changed. Whether you think it's an improvement or not is entirely irrelevant, it is not the same map and should not be named as such.

Neoony likes this.
  10. TheCreeper

TheCreeper Member

These refinery points look really nice. They need to be made into a prefab or something. Would be nice to see maps using consistent looking refinery points.

[​IMG]

Neoony likes this.
  11. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Agreed. We need more than a smoking rock.

Neoony likes this.
  12. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

That's almost word for word what I said the first time they showed the map. Of course I was just dismissed.

13. Neoony

Neoony Member

Lots of people said that and I gotta agree.

14. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

There was that time period where half the community would jump on anybody saying such a thing as Trickster for 'being against development' and unappreciative of varbles' hard work.

15. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I don't see anything wrong with what he said, but I guess if people want to find conflit or disagree, they just will.
    Anyhow I agree on the refinery pads look nice.
    However I don't know about them being a prefab, because each map has its own style so they wouldn't fit for every map.
    But then again, can't hurt to have more prefabs, right?

16. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

emp_massacred

17. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Not really. As I stated, the map is fun and has every right to be official, just as the current development team have every right to remove Slaughtered as an official map. I have nothing against that because it's not as if the map is being deleted from the game or anything, it's would just be retired from being officially supported. There's nothing wrong with just changing the name of the newer version. I mean, A-z-K might be joking there, but there's nothing wrong with naming it something close to Slaughtered to emphasise where it came from.

18. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

There are many versions of Money, and all called Money this or that. So Slaughtered V2 or whatever the artist decides is great. But please do not remove the old Slaughtered. For that reason it should not be the exact same name as old Slaughtered. Old Slaughtered is a great map, requires team work to win, and I've seen alot of creative tactics used on that map. It much more than a choke point map. The new one opens up more avenues, feels bigger and is greatly appreciated. Tactics will evolve and if there are balance issues, I'm sure there will be tactics invented to counter imbalance or you'll be the first one informed.

One thing - since NF is in the top left, and the tunnel is downhill. NF's tank expertise is ML's, they would need guided to counter a tunnel attack, or they would need to enter the tunnel. BE would have an easier job of defending and attacking any terrain that is lower, using HE canon. Long distance shooting, or firing down a long slot, NF has the advantage. If that ramp out of middle were more gradual, or the whole tunnel elevated to make it flat or reduce the ceiling height (making it harder for BE to shoot up long distance out of the tunnel. It would make a pretty significant change to how the map balances when you get to Heavy tank stage.

I'm not sure how big a deal this is, but thought I'd bring it up to keep an eye on while monitoring gameplay.

19. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

B3 is ready to go on a server as soon someone can confirm that everything loads properly. The exploits are fixed, grass is added, and the soundscape problem is solved.
    Someone test it out for me: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2644783/maps/slaughtered_b3.7z

Still to do:
    Settle on a good name, I like emp_massacred but also maybe emp_omaha or emp_barbarossa for that WWII motif
    Get the new water texture added to empires common files to cut down D/L time
    Light fixtures inside the tunnels
    Flak explosions in the sky and models for decoration

20. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

my 2 cents

http://i.cubeupload.com/uohoCw.png

red lines are infantry only passages, red slashes means make infantry only area, i also moved 2 refineries, these are supposed to be flags with resources.