Best place to learn how to mod

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by petemyster, May 5, 2008.

1. petemyster

petemyster Member

ok me and my friend are gonna make a mod after our exams, and between us we know basic maping and modelling. Could really do with nudges in the right direction for where to go to learn how to mod if HL.

Im gonna get the "mod your world" DVD's but that doesn't cover coding, any advice? Preferably something not internet based.

2. arklansman

arklansman Member

3. petemyster

petemyster Member

im gonna be away from internet for like 2 weeks when im moddling (stuck at some place in the middle of nowhere) so incase i can get bored i was hoping there be some kind of book/dvd to teach me. And there's no way of downloading all the tutorials (without visting each page), so any other places?

Where did Krenzo learn how to code?

4. Melee

Melee Member

offer Krenzo Cookies and take him with ya - rofls

5. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

6. petemyster

petemyster Member

cookies eh?

and i eargly anticipate your mod :D

and damn that link puts me off learning how to code. Im only gonna make a simple multiplayer mod with me friend, 1 small map where you hold off against waves of npc's, and have destroyable barricades etc, so little coding needed, right? 0o

7. arklansman

arklansman Member

Nope, there isn't any support for NPCs in the multiplayer SDK.

8. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

STFU HELP EMPIRES DONT MAKE YOUR OWN MOD...

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

9. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

1. Design
    2. Programmers
    3. Artists

List is short but it doesn't mean it's easy. :)

10. petemyster

petemyster Member

what about bots then? 0o

11. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Or the list could be long too like...

Coders
    Sound engineers
    Music engineers
    2D texture artists
    2D concept artists
    3D modellers
    3D concept artists
    and so on... :p

But yeah, it won't be easy to start doing something. At least it takes loads of time and true effort to wrestle with the problems which come up during the development and also not to run out of interest. :rolleyes:

12. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

It can take a while! Don't expect to produce anything too complex anytime soon. I taught myself Visual Basic at school using the command reference and stubborn determination. I learned QuakeC buy just jumping into the code an tinkering about, experimenting with how the weapons work and such. I started customizing the monsters and eventually made a 40K mod. I changed how the armor worked so it was more like the tabletop games and made the soldiers different classes of orks with boltguns and such.....my PC died and took it with it. Moral: Fucking make backups of your shit!

But anyhoo...Source is a lot more complex than the old Quake engine. It's probably the reason why there are so less mods available....that and the expectation that mods have to be of professional standard these days. So expect things to be difficult and frustrating at first. My recommendation is just dive in and go for it. Don't start your big project straight away, just mess about and make mods that changing anything at all. My experience is that it takes determination and dedication more than anything, even talent, to make mods and games.
    When I was learing Visual Basic, it was because I really, really want to play Elite 2. I had just discovered the game and then had it taken away from me. Left with a shitty PC and nothing but VB as a dev tool a made a turn based space exploration game. Luckily, I knew a little bit of basic to get started. I was 16 and worked like a freakin' obsessed autistic. I can't muster that kind of hardcore geekiness anymore!

13. petemyster

petemyster Member

I think people have drastically mis-understood me. Its not gonna be publically avaliable, its not gonna be good standard, its just to let me and my friend what the world of game design is like (we are gonna do it for university), and we don't wanna spend our summer making a lengthy mod. Its basically only gonna be a pissy piolt mod for us to see what its like. :p

14. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

If you have no coding experience, you may underestimate how much it will take to make even a crappy mod! But good luck!

Can you tell us what the idea is behind it?

15. arklansman

arklansman Member

Well in that case, I would recommend this.

:p

16. petemyster

petemyster Member

we haven't reallly thought about it, we are either gonna make a zombie apocolapyse defend against impossible waves in various locations, or i was thinking of doing a starship troppers one where they had to hold that tiny base in the movie.

AND HOLY SHIT, looking at that sample code is making me want to give up already, i don't have the time for that :'( How on earth do people enjoy how to code?

17. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Dude, I can help you with your mod, and if it's only weapons and such that you need, it's easy (I can do it), if you want it to be multiplayer.. It will be a little hard(going to add it to mine, when I'm not to lazy for it :P)

And on this page it says:
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Fixing_AI_in_multiplayer

''This is simple to fix.'' So I could try to give it a peak ;) all ye need is to learn hammer quite good.

18. petemyster

petemyster Member

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, interesting. Well if we are gonna make the mod, i'll give ya a shout, ty.

19. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Programing is not for everyone :p

20. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Multiplayer is easy? Then I want to see a total newbie fixing bugs in Source SDK. :> (not Empires just OB SDK)