Beerdude's researchoverview (zooming)

Discussion in 'General' started by dizzyone, Apr 13, 2011.

1. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Beerdude has been working on a zoomable research tree overview. And we were sort of discussing possible ways to expand this idea into a new and well thought out research tree that fits Empires the best.

Right now, his research tree has zooming and dragging functionality. As shown in the screenshot below, it draws lines between research items, and shows complete paths in this fashion:

[​IMG]

While there are a lot of possible functionalities, this thread is not about general research suggestions, so please don't start suggesting general research things.

I've compiled 3 possible research-overview layouts, and would like some feedback and input on them:

Modular layout:
    [​IMG]

Hierarchical layout:
    [​IMG]

Combi layout:
    [​IMG]

This thread doesn't mean anything will get implemented, thats up to beerdude, I basically want to have a discussion thread, to improve the layout concept and possibly make some conclusions on what works best.

I'm not sure if the modular one is easy to understand, but I can explain it if it is required.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  2. 0yv47

0yv47 Member

+1

...... +1 some more....

3. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Let the grown-ups discuss things dear

4. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

To be honest? I almost like the system we have now. Display full paths for a tree. Click on a branch. Branch opens to display stems. Click on a stem. Stem opens to display twigs. Twigs can then open to display leaves.

This way it doesn't take up too much space (INFORMATION_OVERLOAD), and infoboxes can exist. Obviously recolouring/shape redesigning can be done, but I like the click->zoom system.

5. FN198

FN198 Member

agree with predom, this system is too cluttered and inefficient. empires research doesnt branch out enough for this to be useful.

6. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

future research might

7. dizzyone

The modular system (first pic) is the system we have now, its an adoption that incorporates zooming and hierarchy. So its a general improvement. With the only difference that more information is visible on the screen. However, if the default zoom level of it is the 2nd tier (electric, bio, chemistry etc options) it would be exactly the same as our current system. Except that you would have the possibility to zoom out one level to see the layout as it is on the screenshot.

8. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Except all researches are viewable from the get-go. How it is /currently/ (unless the tree has change since I played last..?) is more of an exploratory tree, and works well with any number of researches (until you get into greater than 4-5 tiers..but I don't see Empires ever reaching that).

**Unless, of course, zooming out from the current tree reveals that. I might be acting a bit redundant, not sure.

9. dizzyone

Well if I understand you correctly, you prefer the current system because of simplicity. Which raises a good point.

The way you've worded it is a bit redundant however as the modular system basically is the one you prefer.

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

id choose this one for best overview
    you can solve the "no info"-thing mentioned, with some dynamic text box that shows the info once you hover over an item.
    scrap those odd hex things right at the top, they are kind of useless - or do they server some purpose i dont get?
    [​IMG]

the left one on the below picture, is good for the same reasons as the one above.
    additionally it would look a bit more extravagant - the above one looks kinda dull ...
    [​IMG]

edit: hmm now that i think about it, the 2nd one actually looks better. maybe have a look at how it looks rotated by 90°

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  11. dizzyone

its a wireframe, not how it will look in the game. That's basically the 2nd tier (or first I guess if you don't count the root), so it could have text there saying "Mechanical" etc.

The hovering is already implemented by Beerdude, however, the con "no info" means there is no ability to put information in the layout, in the case of the combi layout, there is no space for individual item information.

It's a con of all 3, and I believe even current Empires. I noted it because someone could come up with a system that does allow you to view info of every single item, I just didn't come up with it because I don't think its very important. However, I do believe its important to have some sort of information on the screen. Where hovering simply wouldn't be good enough.

The hierarchical layout suffers from this problem the most, because it requires a lot of space to have all paths expanded, there is far less space to work with, compared to the other 2.

12. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i dont get your size issue - neither of those is bigger then the empires research menu is now and they all would be useable as they are.
    sure it could be a bit more finetuned to really use all available space.
    the one the 2nd picture on the left side f.e would leave enough space on the right to have a text-area that shows the description of the current reseach item plus time infos and whatnot.
    u can simply make unavailable research "greyed out", available research normal saturated and researched items marked with a yellow-goldish border.

i dont see what other info youd need to provide.

another option would be a popup info, but you said u didnt want popups in another thread (that was you?)

13. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

I like the first and the third.

Having to click button after button to get to a certain research gets rather tedious, and is unnecessary even if this system could be added. The problem I have with the current system is that I cannot put technologies/researches in a queue, thus increasing the research time a bit. I don't see how the proposed systems are cluttered; to be exact, I find the proposals to be more streamlined then the system we have now. The third system is actualy something I wanted to propose for a long term, and of all looks the most streamlined to me.

EDIT: Edited for the sake of readability.

14. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

I quite liked the first picture. Nice overview. I might start commanding if this gets implemented. :D

15. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

have tabs for the different trees (physics, chem, bio etc...) then there you show the tree. this way of showing the whole research thingy is too cluttery, and also have it like a left to right thing. I'm thinking like the type you see in age of empires.

16. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

19:24 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: looking at that thread
    19:25 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: from the perspective of someone who would actually have to do the research for this shit
    19:25 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: I wanna throw a few things in here
    19:25 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: firstlyt
    19:25 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: firstly
    19:25 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: it's important that I can have dual pre-requesite research
    19:25 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: if you can somehow link 2 researches, regardless of the tree they're in, that's a bonus, but being able to link 2 in the same tree is ideal
    19:33 - =[BSID]= 1LT Beerdude26: linking in same tree is prolly trivial
    19:33 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: dizzy is just going
    19:33 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: "I don't really think we need dual pre-reqs"
    19:33 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: I take offence.
    19:34 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: I know I'm not coding it, nor am I helping design it, but I still have to implement the usage of it, and I'd rather not be arbitarily limited because one person didn't think something I wanted to use was really needed
    19:34 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: especially something that's been discussed for so long
    19:35 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: regardless of whether or not it would benefit the game, that's entirely irrelevant in my opinion
    19:35 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: because it's not something that could be decided without testing, and to test it, it needs to be an option
    19:35 - =[BSID]= 1LT Beerdude26: Well that's his opinion
    19:35 - =[BSID]= 1LT Beerdude26: And his designs don't really hold against dual pre-reqs
    19:35 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: they make it a bit more difficult
    19:36 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: i also said I'd rather still not be limited to 6 researches either
    19:36 - =[BSID]= 1LT Beerdude26: Yeah I was wondering about that too
    19:36 - =[BSID]= 1LT Beerdude26: I wonder how many researches you want to put in then :p
    19:36 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: well
    19:36 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: also having them next to eachother can be confusing for new players
    19:37 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: in terms of displaying them all on screen at the same time
    19:37 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: if you start merging lots of hexagons together
    19:37 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: it looks like a mush
    19:37 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: you can't see the paths or the centre
    19:38 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: basically
    19:38 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: if you want to display it all at the same time
    19:38 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: if your 2nd level has any more than 3 options
    19:38 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: which, all of ours do
    19:38 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: then it starts to mush together
    19:38 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: you start connecting to shit you don't want to connect to
    19:39 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: if you connect it by lines then using hexagons is pointless in the firstp lace
    19:39 - =[BSID]= 1LT Beerdude26: Well the tree would be laid out differently if we would keep the current implementation
    19:41 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: out of the 3 pictures
    19:41 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: the first one is cool but having pre-requesites would really start to get messy with lines
    19:41 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: so a solution to that is a button to show said lines
    19:41 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: that can be turned off
    19:41 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: a toggle
    19:41 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: the 2nd one is basically the current design
    19:41 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: only you can zoom out
    19:42 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: but again my point stands about how many researches you can have there
    19:42 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: it would start to get cluttered very quickly
    19:42 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: 3rd one is shitty for the most part but the top right part of it with the circle that almost looks like a human nervous system, that's interesting
    19:42 - =[BSID]= 1LT Beerdude26: You could also just have an info box that shows exactly what you need to get a certain resarch
    19:42 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: yeah ofc, and hovering over it not only shows the info, but it makes a line appear to the other research
    19:43 - =[BSID]= 1LT Beerdude26: Yeah possibly
    19:43 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: but having a button you can press would help people visualise where they want to go more, but it wouldn't be used by newbie comms, allowing a smoother learning curve
    19:43 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: so really imo
    19:43 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: first one and the top right of the 3rd one
    19:43 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: middle one just has the same hexagon problems
    19:43 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: look at the 2nd group on the 2nd picture
    19:43 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: like
    19:43 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: anything outside of the starting researches
    19:44 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: if you wanted to add anything further than the 6 in the 2nd group
    19:44 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: it would get really really messy
    19:44 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: or rather
    19:44 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: even worse if you wanted to add more than 2
    19:44 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: so say you went
    19:44 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: chem
    19:44 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: then improved det
    19:44 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: then upgraded nades and HE
    19:44 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: as it is now
    19:44 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: that would get really messy in this tree
    19:45 - -₪EPIC₪- Trickster |CiC.|: one of those 2 researches would either be connecting to HEMG or UML

Too lazy to retype that as a proper reply.

17. dizzyone

I'm not sure if you noticed flasche, but none of those pictures actually have the full research tree displayed. The other thing that takes up a lot of space is the way they have to be layed out, since its a hierarchy, they need space to be seperated for better readability. Look at the first ingame screenshot, and look at the 4th research tier. Tell me if you can tell which research belongs to which, without having to follow the lines for each item. It takes up a lot of space. The items are also very small, while that might not matter to you, from a usability point of view, they should be as big as possible, which also takes up more space.

Comparitively they take up more space which I've noted as a con, don't see what's wrong with that, its true afterall.

There is a lot of info and meta data that could be displayed, how much is displayable depends on the space we can work with. I can't really do much with your comment that you can't see what info is needed, since I can. It's all comparative, one layout allows for extra info, the other simply makes it harder to do so.

@ trickster

The first isn't restricted to 6 necessarily. For simplicity it's better to restrict to 6, but you have to imagine the black hexagons as a branch group, if the branch consists of more than 6, there would either be ngons or multiple hexagons with items. Just like a fractal, the amount of info that is displayed is dependent on the zoom level. Other than that, I can't be bothered to read a text wall either. That's how I roll.

18. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

As I said, my point was that using hexagons is pointless (as opposed to using circles for example) if you're not going to tessellate them. And you can't tessellate them if you're going to do an overview rather than the current system, because they'll start to mesh together.

19. Zygoth

Zygoth Member

One could use squares instead and use a scrollable research tree. I tried to make a concept, but when using hexagons it quickly get's cluttered and I don't think it will look that pretty to most people in game.

While I like hexagons a solution could be squares with nice icons. You could also use something like this:

[​IMG]

If you use square icons instead and make it look nice then I would preffer that anytime over the current system.

(I am glad someone is revising the research system)

20. dizzyone

hmm I guess that one will work pretty well