Be Careful, They Bite

Discussion in 'Dev Blogs' started by DonMegel, Oct 18, 2009.

1. o_O

o_O Member

Sidewinder reminds me of Unity rovers from Alpha Centauri, but more badass.

2. REX

REX Member

I dont see why the sidewinder cant carry like a one slot rocket pot or some other minor modules in the tower. Maybe stingers later on.

>:) Mine layer module

Even big mgs would fit just fine
    Even something like KPV 14,5mm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm5RxG1564k&feature=player_embedded
    Anything bigger like a bushmaster would just be silly.

3. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Mr_Weedy: The storage space would need to be in the back. I believe he wants storage space to leave the possibility of adding usable equipment such as turrets and supply crates into the back.

4. MajorTom

MajorTom Member

The main problem here is that we don't know what new features for gameplay are gonna be implemented.

He said something about the jeep being for modular weps and equipment, we may need easy access to equipment in the future for some unknown reason, not having to prone under the jeep to get something.

'Course I don't know what the equipment thing is about so I may be way off base, but the point is we don't know the true reason behind it, maybe if Megal or a dev explained it to us.

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

spoil it megel...

DOO EEEEEEEET *makes crazy yelling face*

6. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Takes away blizzys booze

I think you've had enough ;D

7. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Blizzard doesn't have booze. He has a an augmentation under his skin that dispenses a cocktail of drugs into his blood.

8. Empty

Empty Member

Yo megel, need attachments for wheel dust, exhaust, muzzle on the MG, headlights(if you want) and whatever else. I want to make some fancy vehicle effects.

9. ViroMan

Empty, can my jeep have a security system that honks the horn and flashes the lights when someone besides me drives it? PLEASE!

10. Empty

Empty Member

Learn C++ and get on the dev team and we might have a shot at getting particles on vehicles period.

11. ViroMan

well I wouldn't say im adapt at c++ but, I can get by on making most things I need. EXCEPT DRIVERS I HATE DRIVERS!!!

ohh and im lazy. So I guess that puts me in the same category as the other devs... lol. j/k.... no really I am... no, NOO, DONT BAN ME!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  12. Empty

Empty Member

Don't worry, they're too lazy to give you infractions.

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

it would be nice if turning the turret would give a sound of an electronic engine turning it

also lol at when i have drunken

14. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

ok, so while I know this is not as important, Iäm going to come at the over all look from a storyline perspective. The general *idea* of NF is a more rad'n'tad guerilla type group yes? As in, slightly less available resources, not really coming out with something 'new&shiny' at the beginning of the game yes? I sort of like the down and dirty feel of NF; I feel that should be considered when making the model, not just the textures to make it look like it isn't brand new. If the model looked a little less precision manufactured and a little less streamlined, that would be better. Put at least a bit of the character of the team into the vehicle pl0x.

That being said, lets get on to gameplay implications.

I'm not opposed to a truck type vehicle, except that it seems like the vehicle would be too big. If you make the truck small (like about 1.25-1.4 the size of current NF jeep), it *might* work, but the idea is that it should be at least a bit smaller than an NF tank would be expected to be (whatever snazzy model it ends up becoming, it will probably stay small). In addition it would probably look a little more cheap than a BE counterpart. Again, character of the team, small vehicles and cheap lightweight constructions are a staple of NF, which has less resources to go around (again storyline implications).

Finally, while I know we are at the whim of vague dev ideas, I'd like to note that if the NF jeep was simply allowed the one slot MG + 1 plate armor with the weight constraints laid out earlier that would cause the chain gun to only be usable without armor, sounds perfect for balancing. My 2cents.

Still, the pick up just seems to be more big, menacing, and square, which match BE style more. I'd recommend making it look slightly more armored and imperial in that case as BE tends to like that. A dune buggy type contraption and something low to the ground like the sidewinder seems more like NF, I would go with the sidewinder as a base for an NF vehicle.

I say enhance the culture of the teams with the models, don't ignore storyline implications, incorperate them ^^. Also, I'd like to note that keeping something on NF like 'the beast' is fine for upper echelons of research, but the nice thing about NF was that all their vehicles in the beginning look like things sort of hammered together to work, which I think adds to the culture of the team. Keep it don't scrap it.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  15. Empty

Empty Member

If NF are all about lightweight cheap vehicles, why are their heavies and meds clearly the heaviest and largest and least efficient vehicles on the field by miles?

16. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

Because of their lights.

Their lights dominate even BE heavies.get. Tanks arn't about getting the biggest and baddest. NF should field several lights along with their with heavies for maximum effectiveness.

17. Empty

Empty Member

I never said they were good.

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

NF is about extremes

19. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Because they are so totally radical, man!

20. tkeracer619

tkeracer619 Member

I like the truck. Good job on it.