Balancing Commander Maps on my Server

Discussion in 'General' started by Xyaminou, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I am trying to work out the best configuration for most maps including balance for the tickets, starting resources, total amount of resources generated by the refineries and limits of buildings.

In order to do that I need to know what each map has in order to compare them. So here is the spreadsheet with all the maps I have on my server and their different parameters.

More importantly on my server I have disabled "emp_sv_player_refinery_multiplier" (by setting it to 65) which is the server variable responsible for scaling the resources with the amount of players, 1 increment and your refineries are x2, 2 and they're x3 etc.
    Which means I'm going to need feedback on what maps need more resources, or even what maps need less resources.
    Taking the example of high player count maps such as chain, I will most likely set the refinery multiplier to 2 so each refinery generates 2 resources per second instead of 1. If this were left to the scaling (default: 12 players) and with my min/max players counts being 32 to 64 they would generate anywhere between 2 and 5. Which is way to much variation for my liking.

Furthermore, I also removed the wages.
    Let's remember that the intention behind the wages is the same as many "recently" implemented features, which is to give the losing team a chance to come back (why?). But anyone with half a brain could figure out that, if they're the losing team they generate much less points than the winning team, believe it or not that's usually how it goes, and therefore the winning team is still ahead.
    This makes wages nothing more than just extra resources that the commander does not have control over which is fairly frustrating for anyone that remembers the days before the wages.

Changed recycling to give 1 point every 100 unit instead of 150. Because it's nowhere near the fastest way to make points anyhow.

For all the future release of my server's config go here.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  2. Spike

Spike Long Live The King!

very nice and actually really helpful thanks x

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

no it was not. the intention behind wages was to allow decent players who play conservative tanks even when nubs wasted all resources.

but the feature you buffed was introduced with this argument.

4. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Never the less I still don't think wages have their place in Empires.

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

given i was raised with "compo jeeps", wages for me always were a way to not feel guilt when building jeeps.

but well i understand your intention, its not like i would disagree with, "empires is flooded with res". i think its the weird, often insanely high, output settings on some maps (looking at you snowbound). i remember when i made my first map i was told: "about 10res in total are normal".

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Xyaminou likes this.
  6. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I Thought wages was so non idiots could get in tanks before idiots when money is low

wages can have their place if you lower the normal res income.

7. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

And then you have a team with no resources and a commander that shouts at people with 1k wages to build a tank so someone else can drive it. No, just no.

8. Paradox

sure, what ever floats your boat

lets have more tanks on the field driven by idiots. greeaaatt

9. Avatarix

All I can suggest you is to decrease vehicle limit on chokepoint maps and res output, it's the war of attrition anyway and making it more newb-resistant for both sides would be pretty nice.

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Ah yes the good old days of not being able to get a lighter tank or APC or even a jeep because one person "who knows better" believes you only need one type of tank.

11. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Make sure no comm map has 350+ tickets and we are good to go.

12. Spike

Spike Long Live The King!

I really like the changes Mrx has made to the server it forces you to play better because of the lack of wages and vehicle limit being much lower plus the fact that the refs don't give an insane amount of res.

13. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Oh no, my jeep funds. That's why I liked wages, the ability to always have access to jeeps because screw legging it everywhere.

14. complete_

complete_ lamer

thank you for disabling that multiplier

i've said this in another topic where i asked for a base rate for having 1 refinary, but the game isnt that fun unless both teams have around 4-5 res a second. raising each map's res so it gets to this amount would work but it doesnt take into account the losing team which just sits in their base with their 1 res/second ref not being able to get out
    (as an aside, i hate that the devs pretty much ignored my suggestion instead of just explaining why they didnt like it. so much more insulting than just saying you disagree. and that goes for anyone else who ignored it too)

Neoony likes this.
  15. Thexa4

Thexa4 Developer Staff Member Moderator

I'm sorry you feel that way, I do try to to read all suggestions but I don't have enough time to respond and or implement all of them. I still need to make a living somehow :)

Neoony likes this.
  16. Paradox

dont like the no wages part, even 5-10 wages would be fine. I just want to be able to afford a tank when we have no money. Like you play super well the entire game, and you wanna drive a tank to make a difference but you cant cause idiots are kamikazying them into the enemy team.
    Makes no sense that someone that played super well cant get into a tank.

Kidpaler likes this.
  17. Paradox

@complete_ story of everyones life that posts in empires suggestions subforum

18. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Added a (probably incomplete) changelog.

19. Avatarix

Changed Vehicle carcasses recycling to give 1 point per 100 (from 150). (empires\scripts\rankpoints.txt) //Because it's nowhere near the fastest way to make points anyway.

why?!? you can get dozens of points now by recycling a heavy tank, literally max 10 points/tank
    and it takes just whole calc

20. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member