Bad fps since 2.28?

Discussion in 'Support' started by The Punisher, Oct 17, 2010.

1. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

poor sip your cpu working awfully hard.

wait... you say you have 2gb?! then why is it reporting that you only have 1gb with 371k available?

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i just figured out that ctrl+shift+esc is the fastest way to the task manager in win7
    also i have no peak values, are they gone? or do i have to i activate them somehow?
    not that id experience such problems though ... still would be interesting ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  3. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

This is not a screenshot of my taskmanager. I just took a random image from the internet to show where the you can find the peak value.

4. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Memory peak display seems to be removed by MS for Vista and Win7 :(

5. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

ack! VIROMAN ANGRY!

6. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Well tbh... my fps have been dropping through the floor - as low as 3fps (net_graph only goes as low as 9, cl_showfps shows 3). I found out what was causing this - something that didn't happen before 2.26, and it's my firewall.

Going around it doesn't help, neither does exceptioning the program, I literally have to deactivate it if I want the 15/20+ fps I usually get. I hesitate to mention it because a firewall is usually a unique problem, except it's only come on recently and a lot of the problems sound similar.

7. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Vista and Win 7 uses proper memory management and showing peak memory use makes no sense - it should always be size of your RAM. What RAM isn't used by applications should be spent on caching potential data for your applications.

8. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

so RAM is the reason for the random lag?

but I have 4 gigs of RAM

9. steveZ1337

steveZ1337 Member

Sorry for the delay. It turns out there was two problems, one is my cpu was getting to hot (there is a feature on my mobo that lowers the speed based on temp). When I turned that off I was getting the cpu temperature alarm like I was supposed to be getting. Reapplied thermal paste and fan and now that issue is fixed my contant fps is better now.

I am still getting choke however. I think the building placement theory may have some merit I will have to see if this is what it is happening.

When it chokes the netgraph now it looks like the the a step graph, it basically bottoms out everything fps,in,out,etc, then returns back to normal values after a couple periods.

What I did notice is when I went to another server (that cookies and milk strike back server). Everything was working fine until about 8 or 9 people started playing and then it started choking alot. I didnt get this much choke on on the standard US/Europe servers with 40 players. So maybe it is a server issue?

10. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Choke is a server issue IIRC. Packet loss is the one you have to worry about.

11. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I don't remember what choke is and don't want to. If packets received per second drops below 33 then either you have too small rate or server is slowing down. If packets sent and accepted drops below 33 then somehow your packets are being lost (cl_cmdrate 33).

There's almost never problem with packets that you send because it's 2-10kB/s and they're very cheap to accept on server.

12. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

I think choke is when the tick rate has been lowered due to the server struggling

13. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Choke happens when the server wants to send a packet to the client but the client isn't yet able to receive it. Usually this happens because the client's rate setting is too low.

If you experience lag when there is a lot of stuff going on next to you, check your rate setting in the console. It should be 25000 or higher.