Autoselect Vehicle Equipment

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Reznov, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Reznov

Reznov Member

edit: Changed the suggestion to something more simple.

Everytime map changes the vehicle presets get reset to STD. This would get rid of so many situations where you just rage about the VF GUI.

Something to discuss though, should the STD weapons already be inside their slots or should we let the player decide? I can imagine people wanting to equip CG for the price of armor.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I think the devs already understand that the current system sucks (drag and drop, seriously?).

I'm sure it would be a much more intuitive system if the current dev team could fix it. All of the suggestions that we could think up are probably already thought up by them.

3. BloodRaven

BloodRaven Member

It would require code, giving me serious doubts that it will happen.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

if you'd research 2 armors would it use the tougher, cheaper or newer one?
    same ofc goes for anything else ...

also couldn't you do that with presets anyway. quite a while since played with that, never adapted to them - how many would it need? 36 including plain and std engine?

5. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

In the magical world where everything works perfectly, I'd just let the com make a preset for each chassis. If players want to deviate from that, let them customize it. If they don't, then let them use the tank that the com wants them to use. But we're not in the magical world where everything works perfectly, so it won't happen.

6. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Drag and drop isn't that bad. What annoys me the most is entering a VF, open build screen, "no engine selected". :headshot:

7. Reznov

Reznov Member

Hm... I'm gonna edit first post for a better idea then.

edit: Everytime a new map starts the vehicle presets get reset to STD equipment. There we go, annoying problem fixed. No need for big programming.

8. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

The vehicle presetS? I seriously hope you're only talking about the default presets here. I for sure don't want e.g. my escord presets ruined whenever I play any map after escord and my escord preset still being selected or alike.

If anything then set only the default preset to std engine/armour IF the engine/armour slot would be empty with the avaible researched stuff in case of maps with armour/engines preresearched (like escord or any map after emp_sv_research_complete 1 before the round starts). Checkup best performed the moment you enter the vehicle menu the first time.
    Sounds easy enough, but isn't this kind of touching the VGUI code...
    IMO would be even better if the checkup and filling in of std engine and armour only happens the moment you press customize and plain armour or std engine are the only avaible ones, but this is a lot of work in a vgui system which utilises rocket science...

OFC you can also make it cheap so it just replaces w/e engine's/armour's in the default preset but it would look a bit crappy because if there's a common research pattern (which happens like every second empires version, sadly) and you just had a e.g. 3phase heavy it's a safe bet that by the time you get heavys in the next map you already have 3phase engine again, and suddenly half of your teammates drive std plain heavys ...

w/e the case, first of all make that the DEFAUL PRESET IS SET as preset on mapstart BY DEFAULT.
    Because it's extremly silly and just ruins presets alltogether if you have to remember to set your preset back to default after using it once, it's like punishment for being smart enough to use it.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  9. Reznov

Reznov Member

That was what I meant, sorry if I made it sound different. With presets I meant like the "Default" - Preset of all vehicles.

P.S.: This topic is full of DEFAULT!

10. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

good idea though
    +1
    Paradox' certification of approval

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

you "simply" could ship 36 presets per chassis type which have no weapons filled in. then you only show those possible to build (its probably like that anyway) and its quite fast.
    no magic, maybe not even code ...

12. Mkvenner

Mkvenner Member

flashce is right
    The presets are already available not many/any people make use of them as they are, isn't it just a script in the profile options?
    also it would probably take almost as long to fill in the weapons as find the missing engine.

13. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

The standard LT weapon bindings are fail, devs please fix it why on earth would you have it where:
    Cannon is primary on 1 and 2
    MG is secondary on 1
    Missile is secondary on 2​
    that's bullshit please change it to
    Cannon is primary on 1 and 3
    MG is secondary on 1, 2, 3
    Missile is primary on 2 , 3​
    This is the only thing that stops me from stealing other player's tanks, it's not morals and ethics that stops me from stealing them.

14. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

I made some of these presets but they kinda got derped at one point. I'ld however use the first setup always over the second. Personally, I need CN and MG at once because infantry needs to die the fastest, I dont need missiles against infantry, buildings wont bite you so you can take your time and changing the weapon loadout takes one click if you happened to be fighting against infantry and tanks, in which case you have to decide on one target, kill it and click 1 key ...?!
    So it comes down mostly to once preference, but tbh you have to make your presets once per install so it's not exactly hard ...

15. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I would never put cannon and missile on the same key in the same group, because for me it always seems that the game fires the missile after the cannon, so the turret moves up because of the recoil before the missile gets fired. When I'm trying to hit something at a long range with the missile, I'd much rather not have to account for recoil at all.

Of course, I could just never use the third default group, but I'd rather bitch about it.

16. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Tbh I'm lazy so I use mouse1 for CN/ML and mouse2 for CG/MG. But then again, I get close enough to shoot them both and hit with both, so it's sort of acceptable. I'll probably start grouping them apart in the next version, because then I can switch weapon groups with the scroll wheel.

17. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Cn/Ml on Mouse1/2, and Cn/Mg on Mouse1/2 on Config2.

P1 for tanks, P2 for tanks/infantry or infantry.

Also, shoot your missile before your cannon. This way the recoil doesn't matter.

18. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

cannon and ML on group 1 for anti vehicle
    cannon and MG on group 2 for anti infantry

simple

19. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

Go through the bother to make and then use the presets.

20. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

This.
    Also, can we get the option (ingame) to remove Presets?