Assume the Position!

Discussion in 'Dev Blogs' started by Headshotmaster, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

Ok, currently I have nothing but words to support my new position within development, but I'll try and make them as potent as possible.

Firstly, is where I'm sitting at in the art department. Vess is on board to be a concept artist, and his cousin Anichron has agreed to sign on as a new modeler. As many of you may know, Anichron modeled the NF Shotgun. Seen Here

Next come Scripts.

Currently, I have plans to completely revise the current scripts(not just the key values), including changes/additions to vehicles, infantry, buildings, and pretty much everything in between. This means that there will be a lot of work that needs to be done on the creative side to address the problems that plague the current weapons, research mechanics, and GUI. I will be drawing inspiration from both my experiences and ideas, the experiences and ideas of my team, and the suggestions made in these forums.

What I want, and what I need are 2 teams of artists and scripters to help empires through this complex transition, with the knowledge that this will be the direction forward.

This is the catch though. I have been charged with leading two fronts, spearheading the development of the small teams of scripters and artists, and I will be responsible for producing results, thus I have to sign off on anything that will be implemented within these departments. If you still want to apply, keep in mind that I'm looking for bright individuals who aren't afraid of this huge undertaking. We will be discussing ideas together and moving forward together.

If you would like to apply, please either PM me, or post in this thread. If you would like to apply later(say for artistry), don't hesitate to ask.

After awhile, I will mostly likely update this thread with team positions that have been filled.

2. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

3. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I can script monkey for ya.

Can't decide whether I love to hate you or hate to love you :/

4. Mashav

Mashav Member

Ditto.

5. Empty

Empty Member

When the fuck is anyone going to recognize blizzerd.
    Jesus christ, the guy keeps applying and shows he thinks about what he does and puts a lot of effort into EVERYTHING he does.
    (He runs a business and never finished highschool, his maps are always robust, and he uses logic and a reasonable tone to argue his points)

Fucks sake, do we have to pick unlikeable people for the dev team?
    Is that a condition of entry?

I'd also like to see some of your contributions before I work under your flag HSM.

Not just a hello world app.

6. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

I already have : /

7. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Yes, Empty, I did mention him to HSM a couple days ago, and HSM said he'd thought about it. Still, Blizzy deserves a lot. He's an awesome guy.

Anyways, as long as we're free as far as creativity, and deciding what to fix is left to the group, I'm in.

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

thank you empty and predominance, thank you headshotmaster

i dont really know what to say lol :3
    thanks for being in my back :D

9. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

It was a bit my fault, because I forgot to post his application in the dev section. But I had a damn hard week! And I'm really sorry.

10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

its ok brutos, i know you are a friend and if you say you where too busy then that is how it was and i dont feel bad of it

11. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

What does this mean? Do you want to throw away the current scripts (especially for armors, weapons and research) and redo them from scratch?
    If that is your plan then I can only predict that the chance to fail will be very likely.

If your plan is to make only small changes, see how they work and maybe adjust them with monthly releases I would like to support this.

I mostly care about armors, vehicle weapons and research for balance. There the main goal should be that every iteam is useful in a certain situation.
    There I like dizzyones changes. Especially the ones, which I have also suggested like remove MKII, increase max weight of mediums or reduce lock-on time for homing.
    For his decreased armor values we will see ingame if they work or not. But also I like the general direction.
    Just made this table to show the difference from 2.24 and dizzyones armor changes:
    http://www.pfffr.de/armor_weapon_2.24_new.png
    http://www.pfffr.de/armor_weapons2.24_new.xlsx

12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

in all due respect (i know you know what YOU are talking about, and i understand your sentiment)

if we DONT start from scratch, the chance on getting a balanced research tree is 0, whereas if we start from scratch and re-analyse everything we have now for if it "fits" in the big picture of the new scripts and add it in/remove it/tweak it accordingly at least we have a shot at succeeding in our mission

13. Empty

Empty Member

Enough with the stats!
    Jebus!

We can't balance the game with spreadsheets.
    The only way we're gunna balance it, is sitting down, putting in a fuckton of work to rebuild this game from the ground up, balance-wise, and doing a shitload of testing over and over again.

14. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Never told this. They are only a tool to help scripters. Especially when you touch things like speed to damage modifiers you will see how useful they are.

And this is the main problem. It's nearly impossible to do realistic balance tests only with testers. This must be done on the game servers where we have up to 64 players with a mixture of noobs and veterans. The current playtests with 5-10 testers are only useful to find bugs.

Therefore I suggest to change little and release often.

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

and thus declare defeat, because if we aint trying, we aint gonna fail

16. Cloud

Cloud Member

Remember: If you fuck up we will be there to watch and laugh at you.

17. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

What I think needs to happen is a fix/bandaid of the current Empires, for 2.26. Then for 2.27, redisign the research tree with the same research items, just in a new layout. Then add-to the layout. This is assuming research is the main problem atm.

18. Deiform

Deiform Member

Holy shit, this is only the same idea the entire community came up with 2 years ago. Less talk and just do it.

19. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Well it took about 45 minutes of arguiing for me to get 4 people to reaize that. They were too busy focusing ahead on revamping empires, yet the current shithole needs to be fixed.

20. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

If you don't start with a spreadsheet, you are going to waste a lot of time fixing stupid values that are either blatantly OP or UP.