As scout - enemy commander cannot issue attack order

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by L3TUC3, Sep 17, 2007.

1. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

As scout - enemy commander cannot issue attack order on hidden scout

When you are a scout and successfully infiltrate the enemy base to start sabotaging buildings, odds are the enemy commander will try to find and have you killed. Right now all he has to do is zoom out, select some friendlies and drag an attack box around the base and your cover is instantly blown even when you're hidden. I think this is too easy.

My suggestion is that commanders can no longer issue attack orders on hidden scouts. This would make the scout's job a bit easier and not as frustrating because the almighty drags a box to undo your work.

Pros:
    *Scouts cannot be revealed so easily.

Cons:
    *Harder to counter scouts.

Discuss.

2. Chahk

Chahk Member

Good idea. Scouts work too hard sneaking into enemy bases to have their cover blown that easily. The same should apply to hidden non-scouts as well (Squad Leader's "Hide" ability.)

The attack box in general should be nerfed somewhat, IMHO. Right now it's an ultimate wallhack: even after you die, the Comm's attack orders keep highlighting the enemy half a map away.

How about if the Attack order got canceled when the target left your viewable distance?

3. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

with this scouts will be in a enemey base the entire round sabotaging stuff over and over

4. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Myea, attack orders are a little skewed. It make sense for the commander to set targets for his men, but I think this should only apply if he can actually see the targets.

I think the attack order should be removed upon death, after some time, or the target disappears (hides) to remove the advantage. I don't think viewable distance would work, as some targets could potentially be far away but seen by the commander. I would still be able to set attack orders for guys that are somewhat far away just to let em know what I want em to take out.

5. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

No. There's still the camera to spot scouts and the commander/team can still see him crawl/sneak around. I didn't say anything about removing or nerfing that. It's still as easy to spot scouts, but it removes the unreasonable attack order that instantly gives you away. The commander can still direct his team to the scout if he's spotted him, it will just require some more communication instead just a drag and a click over the entire base.

Heck, I think scouts should be sabotaging bases more often. Right now it's a pretty futile gesture with the commander simply dragging a box and sending every unit at base on to you instantly even when you're taking the utmost care not to be seen. It's pretty unfair imho.

6. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I'll go ahead and put this in just because it makes sense and saves some bandwidth.

7. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Good stuff. It's definitely one of the major irks that's haunting the scout class. I guess we should explore the topic of drag attack boxes a little more.

8. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

yeah i wasnt agianst the idea.. just pointing out what will happen..

it will be fun tryin to find the little bugger

just today i used this to find a scout hiding in my radar.. but i agree it felt like cheating in a way..

9. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

The scout hiding in the radar is an exploit as far as I'm concerned since he was hiding in that giant cable. I'll have that cable made solid.

10. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

How about giving the box a maximum size? So you can drag it so far, and it'll expand as normal, but once it reaches the max size your cursor will just push it around, rather than expanding it further.

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Make t3h radar an electromagnetic zone causing electrical damage or having inability to fire inside :p

- unhelpful suggestions come courtesy of me :D

12. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

the drag attack box should definately be removed. it's such a hack

on top of that, who's gunna use it? the experienced comm. this is basically a cheat that only more experienced (or at least less noobish) commanders are gunna use it.

so it makes it one step more difficult for new commanders to get into the game, as they already give their men on the ground a disadvantage.

seriously, mass attack commands should be banned...

13. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

actually when im on the field i hate all those red attack boxes.. it takes up too much screen and gets confusing.. i usally just cancel the orders

but i dont think it should be removed because its sucks when your tryin to make a ref and those stupid engys cant find that little cam thats making it unable to place

14. Chahk

Chahk Member

Mass-attack orders are fine, but should depend on what the soldier sees, not the commander. The commander should not be able to spot targets for his troops half-way across the map.

In other words, the mass-attack order should only succeed for targets that are within the viewing distance of the soldier. Everything else wouldn't get "painted" at all. The attack orders should cancel out (with a "failed" message to the Comm) if the soldier and the target(s) move too far apart from each other.